2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 243 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I'm obviously not the OP, but I don't think anyone is advocating for deliberately misusing IJS. I think the posters skylark mentions are referring to programs such as the modified version of IJS that USFS uses at its lower-level competitions. (I don't know what other federations do, and a conversation on those comparative lines would probably best be left to its own thread.) These modifications are clearly laid out in a published document every year; the latest document is here. The most relevant of these modifications is the bonus points that skaters receive for executing more difficult jumps than are strictly necessary at that level.

If I understand correctly, those bonuses are applied by the technical controller, not the judges. So skaters get the feedback of actual judges' scores, without any mandated overscoring or manipulation of BV, GOE, or PCS criteria. But their final placements are affected by the bonuses added to those scores, so they have an incentive to master and perform more difficult technical content.

If it were up to me, I might give the full bonus only to qualifying fully-rotated jumps, and a smaller bonus to under-rotated jumps, to create a stronger incentive to get the technique right. But more experienced posters might have strong counter-arguments for continuing to give the full bonus to under-rotated as well as fully-rotated jumps.

Apologies for drifting :eek:topic:

Thank you very much for explanations:) Now all's clear for me... By the way - I can agree with some kind of bonus for UR'ed jump (not big - because still UR is UR and it should still be the pushing to master the right and clean technique). But still it should be a punish for fall... Because sorry but the fallen jump is not an executed jump doesn't matter how many revolutions in the air was done... And I'ts just a matter of skater's safety and health (you will not argue that falls don't make skaters safer or healthier).

And great spin technique shall also be revarded - just because I see here and there that judges often close their eyes on some mistakes in spins like travelling of weak positions. Like GOE + for Brown's spin with "V" on nationals. For me that also does not make our sports better.

And of course +2 for Jasons popped jump - the problem to address as well...

natsulian

Final Flight
Practice notes from Jackie.

Cui: 2A, 3S, 3S, 3T, 3T, 3T, 3Lz, 3Lz, 3F, 3F, 3Lz, runthru (2A, 3Lz3T, 3F), 2A, 2A, 3Lz2T, 3Lz3T, 3Lz3T2T(<<), 3Lz(step), 3Lz3T3T, 1F(2ft), 3F, 3F3T, 3Lz3T, 3F1Eu3S, 3F1Eu3S, 3F1Eu(ur?)3S, 3F1Eu3S, 2A2T

Bell: 2A, 3F, 3Lz, 3Lz3T(ur?), runthru (2A, 3Lz3T(ur,step), 3F), 3F, 3Lz, 3Lz(step), 3Lz3T, 3F, 1F, 3Lz, 3F

Persistent troubles on the 3Lz3T for Mariah, hopefully she can pull together two clean performances. Ting... rarely has practices this good and I don't want to jinx anything, but hopefully she's found her mojo after that spectacular long program at Nationals. Ting herself said that she's put the disastrous short program behind her and that she's looking forward to showcasing her newfound confidence.

frida80

Record Breaker
2019 U.S. World Junior Team

Ladies
Ting Cui
Hanna Harrell

Alternate 1 – Starr Andrews
Alternate 2 – Gabriella Izzo
Alternate 3 – Audrey Shin
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ens-selections-for-isu-world-junior-team.aspx

Huh... No Emmy even though she outscored Audrey by 10 points.

It's ok. Emmy had to mesh together a junior FS in just a week. It was bound to be rough. I really wish these girls had more time to prep for this "camp." And I still wish we had an opportunity to see them compete for these spots.

Good luck to Ting and Hanna! Best duo we've sent in ages! I hope they can take some of that magic they found on National ice into Zagreb.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Huh... No Emmy even though she outscored Audrey by 10 points.

It's ok. Emmy had to mesh together a junior FS in just a week. It was bound to be rough. I really wish these girls had more time to prep for this "camp." And I still wish we had an opportunity to see them compete for these spots.

Good luck to Ting and Hanna! Best duo we've sent in ages! I hope they can take some of that magic they found on National ice into Zagreb.

I’m not sure Emmy attended the camp. She isn’t in any of the photos that several attendees shared on social media.

Ting and Hanna are great choices and could definitely mix things up if the 3A club has errors. Best of luck to them!

frida80

Record Breaker
I’m not sure Emmy attended the camp. She isn’t in any of the photos that several attendees shared on social media.

Ting and Hanna are great choices and could definitely mix things up if the 3A club has errors. Best of luck to them!

She didn’t come? :( I hope she’s ok.

frida80

Record Breaker
The USFSA really love Starr Andrews don't they? :laugh:

Well if she never makes it one can never ever say she was never given the chance

I actually get why Starr is first alternate. Gabriella got a 172 and Starr a 175 at nationals. Basically the same score. Starr out scored Gabriella at international competitions. They were basically neck and neck coming into the camp. It may just have been that Starr outskated her at the camp. Of course, we will never know since they didn’t bother streaming this live like Russian Juniors.

Yes, I’m still bitter.

If you want to see a truly baffling placement, try Cameron going to JW after bombing three competitions in a row. But Andrew is second alternate after Ryan, who scored twenty points below him. :scratch3:

skatenewbie

Medalist
i hope Mirai continue competing and it looks like she will. She just posted her landing 2A/3S but Lz/F/Lo is not there yet (she also posted 2Lo). She still have 4-5 months to prepare for next season so hopefully she can comeback with her full jumps arsenal

readernick

Medalist
The USFSA really love Starr Andrews don't they? :laugh:

Well if she never makes it one can never ever say she was never given the chance

She has star power( no pun intended). I root for her because she is cute and likeable. But, if the federation really wants her to succeed she needs a new coach who can help her with her SS, posture, and jumps. She has qualities that aren’t being fully developed.

frida80

Record Breaker
She has star power( no pun intended). I root for her because she is cute and likeable. But, if the federation really wants her to succeed she needs a new coach who can help her with her SS, posture, and jumps. She has qualities that aren’t being fully developed.

You just said something interesting. I was just thinking the strengths of the top coaches in the US and found that often the only have two of three of those qualities. In terms of Skating Skills/Transitions, Presentation (Polish), and Jumps.

Rafael: Polish and Jumps, not skating skills
Frank Carole: polish and Skating Skills
Kori: Skating Skills and polish
Tom: Jumps
Tammy: .... (Give me some time, I'll fill this in later.)

Even internationally this seems to be the case.

Mie: Skating Skills and Polish
Mishin: Jumps
Eteri: Transitions and Skating Skills

I think Brian may be the only one that can do it all.

readernick

Medalist
You just said something interesting. I was just thinking the strengths of the top coaches in the US and found that often the only have two of three of those qualities. In terms of Skating Skills/Transitions, Presentation (Polish), and Jumps.

I mostly agree but I think Rika proves Mie can teach jumps. Satoko is just not a natural jumper so people blame Mie for that .But, Mie can do it all which is why Rika is currently the most well rounded female figure skater. Maybe Starr should go to her 😜.However. Mie is a pretty harsh coach despite her smiles in the k&c. I don’t like the quotes she gives about her students. Criticism should be given to a skaters face in a reasonable way, not through the press.

frida80

Record Breaker
I mostly agree but I think Rika proves Mie can teach jumps. Satoko is just not a natural jumper so people blame Mie for that .But, Mie can do it all which is why Rika is currently the most well rounded female figure skater. Maybe Starr should go to her 😜.However. Mie is a pretty harsh coach despite her smiles in the k&c. I don’t like the quotes she gives about her students. Criticism should be given to a skaters face in a reasonable way, not through the press.

I don't know. Marin'a technique wasn't good. I think she got lucky with Rika. I agree about criticism. I was never a fan of coaches criticizing students in the press. It's a shame. The relationship she has with her students is charming.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

It can be developing star skaters from an early age. Didn't she win some sort of awards in this regard?

frida80

Record Breaker
It can be developing star skaters from an early age. Didn't she win some sort of awards in this regard?

That’s wasn’t one of the three categories but that is a good point. I just can’t seem to figure out what her strengths are in these categories. Karen does have amazing Skating skills, but other of her skaters don’t. Maybe polish... but Vincent isn’t very polished yet. This is tough.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I actually get why Starr is first alternate. Gabriella got a 172 and Starr a 175 at nationals. Basically the same score. Starr out scored Gabriella at international competitions. They were basically neck and neck coming into the camp. It may just have been that Starr outskated her at the camp. Of course, we will never know since they didn’t bother streaming this live like Russian Juniors.

Yes, I’m still bitter.

If you want to see a truly baffling placement, try Cameron going to JW after bombing three competitions in a row. But Andrew is second alternate after Ryan, who scored twenty points below him. :scratch3:

Starr showed great promise last season but I don't see any improvement this season at all. Almost all of her jumps looked shaky at the Nationals. She does need to revamp her techniques. At the age of 17, she is not super young either. It is time to address problems.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
That’s wasn’t one of the three categories but that is a good point. I just can’t seem to figure out what her strengths are in these categories. Karen does have amazing Skating skills, but other of her skaters don’t. Maybe polish... but Vincent isn’t very polished yet. This is tough.

I think jumps is the best fit, but jumps at an early age, not the quality of jumps. Both Vincent and Karen became top contenders quite young.

frida80

Record Breaker
Starr showed great promise last season but I don't see any improvement this season at all. Almost all of her jumps looked shaky at the Nationals. She does need to revamp her techniques. At the age of 17, she is not super young either. It is time to address problems.
It's the sophomore slump. Lots of skaters go through it. I said a few weeks ago, that her constantly changing layout, lack of summer competitions, focus on the 3A, an exhausting fast paced FS and poor planning by her team led to lackluster results. All that combined with nerves from all this expectation from the fed and her fans hit her hard. I wish she would simply pack up and work with Alex O for three months to see if he can fix some of her lutz/flip issues over the summer. And get a program with Shae, since she'll hone in on her edge quality and speed.

However, Jackie did say that her jumps, speed and stamina looked much improved in national practice. So there's some hope there.

I think jumps is the best fit, but jumps at an early age, not the quality of jumps. Both Vincent and Karen became top contenders quite young.

Yes they got their jumps early, but Karen's lack of consistency and lack of combo and Vincent's underrotations are big problems. Ok, what were the best points of some of her skaters. Vanessa or Hannah Miller?

labgoat

Thinking about art & life...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States