2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 244 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
So many comebacks/resurgences in the works for the US former heavy hitters (Gracie, Polina, Karen). I wonder what Polina's aims are in coming back? Is she hoping to make it back to senior Bs, the GP, worlds or the Olympics? We know Gracie is training with the intention of competing in 2022 and I'd imagine Karen has similar goals. I wonder if Polina is aiming for a world-level spot or is just coming back hoping to have a GP assignment and maybe some B events?

Getting back to worlds/Olympics will be tough for all 3--just getting on a world/Olympic team is going to be harder than ever. Hopefully we'll get that 3rd spot back prior to 2022 but even then it's going to be hard. One thing we learned at nationals this year is that the next generation of US ladies is bringing the heat. And things get even hotter on the world level with Russia, Japan and Korea too.

I feel like the next few years are going to be huge for women's skating in terms of progress. The ball is already rolling and I don't think it's going to slow down...

frida80

Record Breaker
So many comebacks/resurgences in the works for the US former heavy hitters (Gracie, Polina, Karen). I wonder what Polina's aims are in coming back? Is she hoping to make it back to senior Bs, the GP, worlds or the Olympics? We know Gracie is training with the intention of competing in 2022 and I'd imagine Karen has similar goals. I wonder if Polina is aiming for a world-level spot or is just coming back hoping to have a GP assignment and maybe some B events?

Getting back to worlds/Olympics will be tough for all 3--just getting on a world/Olympic team is going to be harder than ever. Hopefully we'll get that 3rd spot back prior to 2022 but even then it's going to be hard. One thing we learned at nationals this year is that the next generation of US ladies is bringing the heat. And things get even hotter on the world level with Russia, Japan and Korea too.

I feel like the next few years are going to be huge for women's skating in terms of progress. The ball is already rolling and I don't think it's going to slow down...

Can Polina simply try to comeback for her own personal goals. When Caroline came back after her surgery, it was clear that she wouldn’t challenge for a top spot. However, she left on her own terms and not because of her injury. I think Polina just wants the chance to compete on her own terms again, regardless of the landscape.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If I understand correctly, those bonuses are applied by the technical controller, not the judges. So skaters get the feedback of actual judges' scores, without any mandated overscoring or manipulation of BV, GOE, or PCS criteria. But their final placements are affected by the bonuses added to those scores, so they have an incentive to master and perform more difficult technical content.

Yes.

Other differences in the scoring at lower qualifying levels is that Juveniles only get scored on the Skating Skills, Performance, and Interpretation program components, and Intermediates also on Composition. And the PCS are weighted so that Skating Skills is worth the most.

Thank you very much for explanations:) Now all's clear for me... By the way - I can agree with some kind of bonus for UR'ed jump (not big - because still UR is UR and it should still be the pushing to master the right and clean technique). But still it should be a punish for fall...

Yes, falls and other errors are still punished. The same negative GOE rules apply at all levels. And fall deductions still apply. But the value of the fall deduction at these levels is now 0.5 rather than 1.0. (Keep in mind that most skaters at these levels do not attempt triples, and the value of a double jump with -5 GOE is less than 1.0, so a 1.0 fall deduction would mean attempting and falling on the jump would earn negative points.)

Shani

On the Ice
Polina can come back whenever she wants, because she completely understands her own limitations and that of the competition zone she is in. She has the killer competitive level of thinking and she understands her own body skating levels. She made her own choices to go to university, and seems pretty informed as to her own life choices.

klutzy

On the Ice
Polina can come back whenever she wants, because she completely understands her own limitations and that of the competition zone she is in. She has the killer competitive level of thinking and she understands her own body skating levels. She made her own choices to go to university, and seems pretty informed as to her own life choices.

Yep, when she pulled out of Nationals after the short last year, she said she didn't have the jumps to be competitive internationally because of her foot injury. TSL said she hadn't done her long for some time before. In other words, she did what she could to give a good show in front of her home town. The short, jump limitations and all, was beautiful.

It's pretty clear from her later interviews that her original idea was to qualify for the Olympics, but not being able to do toe jumps made that a no-go. She also said she'd had a short career as an international skater and wanted to do more. It's got to be deeply frustrating to have qualified for Worlds and then not have been able to go.

As for the current scene--pre-injury Polina combined with the artistry of post-injury Polina would certainly be competitive with other American senior ladies. There are still a number of years before Alysa Liu can compete on the senior international circuit. Polina had the goods to be competitive with both Bradie and Mariah--and she was a tough competitor. I don't see Polina doing a quad or a 3-A, but I'm not sure those will be mandatory the way triple-triples are.

b-man

Final Flight

The quote about understanding her own limitations makes me laugh. When getting edge calls a few years ago, she insisted her edges were correct, implying that the judges/ technical controller must be wrong.

I totally agree with the comment on her competitive killer instinct. Polina was one of the most competitive, no nonsense, immune from pressure skaters the US has had in the last decade.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I totally agree with the comment on her competitive killer instinct. Polina was one of the most competitive, no nonsense, immune from pressure skaters the US has had in the last decade.

I wish her packaging in 2016 was better. She seriously missed the brass ring with that ill-conceived GWTW program, and gave up such a huge lead at USN. She was good enough to be national champ, but not dressed up like Suellen O'Hara wearing her older sister's ill-fitting dress. Too bad for her.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the Bavarian Open, the two Novice US ladies won medals: Lindsay Thorngren silver in GROUP 1, Audrey Ignacio gold in GROUP 2.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting! I know its early, but she looks so Kostner-esque with those long limbs. Best wishes to her , she is still young. Lets hope her injury problems are behind her.

That was a beautiful jump. She looks like she's in great shape and I hope her comeback is a success.

natsulian

Final Flight
Bavarian Open Results

Advanced Novice Ladies:
- Lindsay Thorngren came in 2nd place after a downgrade on her 3Lz-3T, edge call on her 3F, and under-rotation on her 3Lo. Lindsay’s young and very determined, so hopefully she cleans up her under-rotations and edge calls. She’s been consistently receiving edge calls on her 3F and under-rotations on her 3Lz-3T.

- Aubrey came in 1st place, but fell on a 3T near the end of the program and received a negative GOE on her 2A. No 3-3 from her, although she’ll probably upgrade her 3Lz-2T soon.

Junior Ladies:
- Emilia Murdock is in 2nd place after the Short, missing her 3Lz-3T combo due to a fall. Her jumps included a 3Lz (edge call), 3F, and 2A. Aside from the botched combo, everything else received positive GOE’s, including three Level Fours and one Level Three on her spins and step sequences. Emilia placed 2nd overall. Her Long: 3Lz was deemed wrong edge and under-rotated, 3Lo was under-rotated, and 2T was under-rotated. Everything else received positive GOE's including Level 4s, 3s, and a Level 2 on her spins and step sequences.

Overall thoughts: Aubrey's the most technically sound in terms of edges and under-rotations, but in terms of challenging content, Lindsay's at the top. Lindsay seems to have the most trouble with her 3F and 3Lz-3T whilst Emilia has trouble adding the 2T or 3T to her 3Lz in the beginning. Good job girls, cannot wait to see where they'll go in a few years.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ting was underscored i think. Being in the earlier groups did her no favor along with being a new face to Senior competition.

natsulian

Final Flight
How did our ladies do at 4cc?
Bradie Tennell came in first with a score of 73.91, jumping 3Lz-3T, 2A, and 3F and received all Level Fours. Mariah Bell scored 70.02, jumping 2A, 3Lz-3T, and 3F with one Level Three. Ting Cui came in 7th, jumping 2A, 3Lz-3T, and 3F and received two Level Threes. Best of luck to ALL the ladies during the Long, what they manage to do out there on the ice is commendable regardless of the scores.