2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 247 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
The argument of Mariah's PCS should be higher only applies to performance and interpretation, two of the five category in the PCS. Those two categories are also more subjective than the other three categories in PCS. Mariah does not have superb ss, or effortless jumps, or difficult transitions, not to mention she had a fall. You don't even need to compare her with Bradie.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The argument of Mariah's PCS should be higher only applies to performance and interpretation, two of the five category in the PCS. Those two categories are also more subjective than the other three categories in PCS. Mariah does not have superb ss, or effortless jumps, or difficult transitions, not to mention she had a fall. You don't even need to compare her with Bradie.

I think it applies to composition as well. Effortless jumps is not really part of PCS, that's GOE. The SS and transitions are fair points. But are Bradie's ss close to 0.5 better than Mariah's?

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's be honest i could see Bradie or Mariah not even making the Olympic team in 2022 and maybe it's for the best. Neither of them are world beating talents or real podium threats at the big competitions and i'm hoping the younger talent steps up by the time of Beijing. I can't see a 24 and 25 year old leading the way for the US in 2022.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Bradie glides smoother and skates faster, which are a reflection of ss. Again, Bradie skated a cleaner program. I feel it really shows the situation of US ladies when we spend so much time on the Bradie vs. Mariah thing, because both of them have to much work to do to be top contenders. Mariah has a pleasant presence and Bradie has better jumps, it is not like that Mariah is on Satoko or Mao's performance level or Bradie has Russian junior's or Japanese ladies' jumps. Giving Bradie's pcs score to Mariah (or a better pcs than Bradie) is not going to help her that much in placement when her jumps are not working.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Finally, prestige. Europeans is the oldest ISU competition. It’s over 100 years old and is even older than Worlds. Getting a medal at Europeans is a lifelong goal of many people and is highly respected. In contrast, 4CC is much younger. Having started in 1999, it’s over 100 years younger than Europeans. Michelle Kwan never competed there. Ashley Wagner stopped going after 2012. While there have been some wonderful moments there, it just lacks the history and the prestige of Europeans.

I'm hoping 4CC's will grow in prestige and that skaters will be less inclined to skip it. With Japan and Korea being more dominant now and with the US and Canada sometimes being in the mix 4CC's this year had more of the skaters who you'd expect to place in the top 10 at Worlds than Europeans at least in the Ladies division.

I'm encouraged because even though Bradie and Mariah placed 5 and 6 there aren't a lot of skaters coming out of the European nations to challenge them. If you mash the scores from both events together then that would put Bradie in 6th and Mariah in 8th both with mistakes. So there is potential to get 3 spots back and for them to do relatively well. I say relatively well. You do the best with what you have.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I really admire Bradie to keeping on at the Lutz Loop. As much as she isn’t consistent with it yet she knows she needs to keep pushing her technical boundaries or when everyone is clean skaters like Rika will always beat her.

I hope she keeps going with it.

I think this is the season to keep at it. Sure a 4CC medal might have been nice here but I don't think you can regress in content and I don't think leaving it out would have been enough anyways.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's be honest i could see Bradie or Mariah not even making the Olympic team in 2022 and maybe it's for the best. Neither of them are world beating talents or real podium threats at the big competitions and i'm hoping the younger talent steps up by the time of Beijing. I can't see a 24 and 25 year old leading the way for the US in 2022.

I hope we have 3 slots to play with by then. Not that I think these skaters will or will not make the team. It's way too far in advance to figure that out.

Talked to my mom today and she was bummed..she LOVES Mariah. I really like Mariah too, I'm just not sure she will ever be able to string a clean long and short together. If she does, look out world.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I feel like they were very lenient with Bradie. She had an underrotation in the SP which was not called. Also her Lutz had a flat to shallow inside edge.

Agree on Mariah's PCs. They are too low. I do not understand what they judges were thinking. She has such a nice quality in her skating.

I thought Bradie's -3T was a downgrade on replay, but only got a <. I think they were harsh because it was clear she had no chance of being on the podium anymore.

Speaking of which, what's wrong with Ting Cui?? When she's on I think she's my favorite currently active US lady but she's never on, and her head game seems to be worse than, well, anyone. She's young but not that young, and I'm not even sure this is something that can improve with age.

natsulian

Final Flight
I’ve decided to abort the Ting train. When her short program is a dud, her free is stellar. When her short is stellar, her free is a dud. I don’t understand because her technique is very good from what I’ve heard, but she just doesn’t have it in her to do two clean performances. Also, I think it has to do with the toe-pick because the only jumps she falls on are the ones that require it.

narcissa

Record Breaker
I’ve decided to abort the Ting train. When her short program is a dud, her free is stellar. When her short is stellar, her free is a dud. I don’t understand because her technique is very good from what I’ve heard, but she just doesn’t have it in her to do two clean performances. Also, I think it has to do with the toe-pick because the only jumps she falls on are the ones that require it.

But she is such a gorgeous skater :hopelessness::hopelessness::hopelessness:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ting is 16 years old, and she just completed her third pressure-cooker event in three weeks. (Including her first senior nationals and her first senior ISU championship.)

To me, the question is: What is wrong with people who cannot understand the possibility of both physical and mental exhaustion at this point?

b-man

Final Flight
Ting is 16 years old, and she just completed her third pressure-cooker event in three weeks. (Including her first senior nationals and her first senior ISU championship.)

To me, the question is: What is wrong with people who cannot understand the possibility of both physical and mental exhaustion at this point?

I discount exhaustion. I think she is one of many skaters who let a fall affect the rest of the program. She needs to be tougher mentally. I am on the Ting train and expect to stay there.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Ting also went from Nationals to the selection camp to 4CC. That's a lot of travel and competing. For someone who's not used to it, it's probably really hard. So I think we should give her a break :)

frida80

Record Breaker
This is a Tom Z thing, I'm sad to say. I've seen it so many times. Remember in 2017 and 2028 when Max melted down. Remember when Mirai skated the best SP at nationals in 2017 she has skated in years, only to meltdown because Tom wanted her to include her 3A. Then Camden at the JGPF and Nationals.

I think Tom Z tells his skaters to do things before their ready. For example he probably told both Max and Mirai they could win nationals instead of just focusing on placing. Likewise I suspect he told Ting she could win nationals, and the pressure overwhelmed her. It's one thing to tell someone that when they're have a super strong season. But not ok when they are having an rough season like Ting's.

She looked so sad after her short when she didn't get a SB. Then I find out that indeed Tom has been saying that she could get a medal at JW.

Hold on. Has he seen the 3A? Quads and all? Even Alyona with 2A beat Ting's clean SP. Didn't he do this last year mere days after Mirai skated the best FS in her life by saying that she could be a dark horse for Bronze even though Kaetlyn was the heavy favorite and Satoko would be no push over?

When will someone tell him that he has to stop thinking about his own ambition and glory and think about his skaters? Get Ting ready for JW. Have her focus on her own personal high score. Don't put her under this obscene amount of pressure already. She's still learning how to execute difficult elements in competition. It's wrong to force her to think about being a world champion before she has the confidence to do it.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Absolutely.

On the other hand, let her run through her first senior season before you crown her the salvation of the US ladies

I thought that crown has gone to Alysa Liu cos she won US nationals. They are just waiting for her to be age eligible for seniors.