2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 263 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
I think one of my personal pet peeves is hearing about young skaters I have never seen before who are working on various quads and 3As. Good for them for trying new jumps and challenging themselves, but "beginning to practice" an extremely ambitious jump or two is much less meaningful than something like "consistently rotates all of her triple jumps and 3-3 combos" which continues to be a struggle for young US ladies.
Lara has shown pretty good 3Lz3Lo and 3Lo3Lo on Instagram.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsqRnTYHUSp/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1sjutzqcm2iqd
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsTHHGNnEjd/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=iv0dy7cfk46e

Elana

On the Ice
Does anyone have more information on her? Did she compete at nationals this year?

As far as I know, Lara's only trip to nationals was as intermediate in 2015, she has not made it back since. She's definitely not a bad skater, as she does have nice triples, but overall I'm not sure she can be compared with Ting/Alysa/Harrell. Those girls are on a different level, making nationals appearances and gaining medals year in and year out. Even with the quads I'm not sure Lara could be competitive, she would need to improve on the other aspects of her skating, like components and URs as well. Her FS score at regionals this season was a 76.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think one of my personal pet peeves is hearing about young skaters I have never seen before who are working on various quads and 3As. Good for them for trying new jumps and challenging themselves, but "beginning to practice" an extremely ambitious jump or two is much less meaningful than something like "consistently rotates all of her triple jumps and 3-3 combos" which continues to be a struggle for young US ladies.

I get your point, but I also think it is good for skaters to always have a carrot on a stick and always be learning/working on something new. It is good psychologically to try something new and fun, and keeps the mindset of "never done learning"

Its great to have all your triples, and yes skaters should work on getting them solid as well. But once they have the triples, I like seeing skaters, safely and responsibly, working on new things while working on solidifying what they have. We should all always want to grow as people and that applies to skating as well. It is good to me to work on learning something new while mastering something old.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
One of Vincent’s (same coach as Gracie Gold) upcoming Juniors. She began practicing a 4Lo and 3A a few weeks ago.

Thanks for answering my question.

But I sure do regret asking. :(
My bad. :hopelessness:

I wish the skater the best … and freedom :pray: from overscrutiny. (No matter how well-intentioned.)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Exactly, i hope this is not a Starr Andrews situation, where they worked on 3A maybe because it works for PR, but it's pointless if you can't skate clean programs consistently, or if you have the rest of your jumps underrotated.

Skaters should focus first on having all triples clean and consistent and then work on 3A or quads.

frida80

Record Breaker
Exactly, i hope this is not a Starr Andrews situation, where they worked on 3A maybe because it works for PR, but it's pointless if you can't skate clean programs consistently, or if you have the rest of your jumps underrotated.

Skaters should focus first on having all triples clean and consistent and then work on 3A or quads.

Funny. That practically verbatim what people said about Mirai for years. Not saying your wrong, it's just ironic to see the same words being used for another skater.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Yeah, it's weird hearing about skaters I'm not familiar with training quads when they haven't made a name for themselves by mastering the triples in competition. Maybe the hope is a situation like Mirai's, where training the 3A made the rest of her jumps a bit sharper.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's weird hearing about skaters I'm not familiar with training quads when they haven't made a name for themselves by mastering the triples in competition. Maybe the hope is a situation like Mirai's, where training the 3A made the rest of her jumps a bit sharper.

Exactly - I'm not saying that skaters shouldn't train more difficult jumps in order to challenge themselves and to improve their other jumps in the process. In many cases, I am sure training quads and 3As make your triples and 2A feel easier. However, it just bothers me when someone says that so and so is training a 4Lo when I haven't even seen them doing triples on the JGP or Junior Nationals.

Skaters can train how they want. But it's a little weird for us as fans to care if a skater is working on a quad when they aren't competitive in their other jumps or aspects of skating.

natsulian

Final Flight
I’m glad that athletes feel empowered and strong enough to push themselves by attempting more difficult elements. Such jumps may never be seen in competition, but imagine how accomplished and proud they must feel about themselves physically and mentally when they’re tackling such hard jumps. Regardless of where they go, it is their career and it is their decision. If trying these harder jumps is what motivates them, then I send ALL my positive energy.

I will never forget a skater’s post during Nationals this year in which she posted pictures of her Nationals performances from LAST season and said something along the lines of, “You might notice that there are no pictures from this season because I did not make it to Nationals”. The post truly changed my perspective because she was so excited to go to Sectionals and kept working on her triples, but she missed Nationals by a few points.

Imagine how broken they must feel? Then imagine finding the strength to get up and try again, not sure whether or not you’ll even make it to Regionals? For these skaters, with how the dynamic of skating has been, pushing the technical boundaries and improving their packaging are the answers. I applaud these athletes because they are pushing the limits of human athleticism and doing it proudly. Kudos.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone can compete at Regionals---there's no such thing as 'making it to Regionals'. It's going to Regionals and placing top 4 there so you can go on to Sectionals---that can be tough. Even tougher is placing top 4 at Sectionals.

natsulian

Final Flight
Everyone can compete at Regionals---there's no such thing as 'making it to Regionals'. It's going to Regionals and placing top 4 there so you can go on to Sectionals---that can be tough. Even tougher is placing top 4 at Sectionals.

By not making it to Regionals, I meant being sidelined by injury. But thank you for the clarification.

readernick

Medalist
I would be shocked if it wasn't in the free, but the lutz-toe feels like it should be a done deal for the short.

According to the planned program content, Bradie will not be doing the 3lz3lo. She is doing two 3lz+3T. Her third combo is 3lo+2T+2lo. I think this is an intelligent choice. She may be able to be 100% clean.