2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 275 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

MarinHondas

Final Flight
patinartphoto recorded Gracie triple toe at IceWorks show:

No less than anchor Natalie Morales, who has interviewed many Olympians (including figure skaters) for Access and for the Today show. :)

two footed, but only looks slightly cheated (probably due to the two foot), so nice progress to land a triple with an audience watching:luv17::thumbsup:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love the reaction from the audience. I would have screamed too.

I'm just worried she competes this summer and I have to camp out to get in the arena. How many does it seat, does anyone know?

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I kind of don’t want to be a downer, and I wish Gracie the best.

But I don’t really see how she can work up to being one of the top US ladies anytime soon - and not by Nationals.

mrrice

Record Breaker

But I don’t really see how she can work up to being one of the top US ladies anytime soon - and not by Nationals.

At this point, I think it's more about her personal journey. She already has National Championships, she's been to Worlds and the Olympics. If she goes out there and makes herself proud, I will consider her comeback a success.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
At this point, I think it's more about her personal journey. She already has National Championships, she been to Worlds and the Olympics. If she goes out there and makes herself proud, I will consider her comeback a success.

Good points.

Some posts in this thread mentioned her becoming US #1 again or competitive internationally. I don’t think either is very realistic as of right now, but there are other goals to be achieved as well.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

I feel like we need to understand why Gracie is returning. It's probably to end her career on her own terms, and finish out with programs she feels good about. She didn't get that chance. I think she can be fully capable of doing two clean, 5ish(LP) triple programs by nationals, and make top 10. Making top 3 IS unrealistic. I hope she isn't looking for that THIS year.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I feel like we need to understand why Gracie is returning. It's probably to end her career on her own terms, and finish out with programs she feels good about. She didn't get that chance. I think she can be fully capable of doing two clean, 5ish(LP) triple programs by nationals, and make top 10. Making top 3 IS unrealistic. I hope she isn't looking for that THIS year.

Has Gracie given an interview where she talks about the reason for her comeback? Remember when Elaine Zayak came back. She got 6th and seemed to be very thrilled with her experience. I hope Gracie will be happy to finish top 10.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Has Gracie given an interview where she talks about the reason for her comeback? Remember when Elaine Zayak came back. She got 6th and seemed to be very thrilled with her experience. I hope Gracie will be happy to finish top 10.

Gracie said in an interview that her goals are to make it to the next Olympics and also a medal at worlds.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie said in an interview that her goals are to make it to the next Olympics and also a medal at worlds.

I wish her the very best in her effort. We have some great young skaters that could make her journey very difficult. We'll have to wait and see.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's wonderful that Gracie has set high goals for herself, if that's what motivates her, good for her:agree:

Every skater says they want to medal and that they want to make the Olympic team.:yes: I have seen nothing to indicate that Gracie thinks that if she doesn't medal, or doesn't make the Olympic team, she will be devastated and sorry she tried to come back.

I will wait to see what Gracie does and how she reacts, and of course wish her the best for whatever she wants.

macy

Record Breaker
Yes it was. Not the greatest but, it's huge progress for Gracie to even be out there.

she really looks happy and healthy in the photos i saw from the show and from what vincent has shared, and it's obvious she's made a lot of progress since last fall. her jumps don't look as labored and are higher.

the fact that she is even participating in a show is a huge for how long she was out of the spotlight...that tells me she's practicing for future competition.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I agree that those goals won't be achieved this year. Seeing where she is now, compared to where she was at Rostelecom, it's also hard to imagine her ever winning a world medal against the likes of Rika, Kaori, Alina, or the Russian juniors. But her goals could always change and be more achievable in the near term, like earning a spot at Nationals and finishing in the top 10.

aml78

Rinkside
I agree that those goals won't be achieved this year. Seeing where she is now, compared to where she was at Rostelecom, it's also hard to imagine her ever winning a world medal against the likes of Rika, Kaori, Alina, or the Russian juniors. But her goals could always change and be more achievable in the near term, like earning a spot at Nationals and finishing in the top 10.

I would think that while her big goal is worlds or olympics, that she has smaller goals along the way. I get the sense this comeback is more so she can end on her terms. She has big dreams, but I think she must be realistic about how she stacks up. I’d be shocked if she’s expecting amazing results this year. I think she will view it as a stepping stone. My guess is just qualifying for nationals this year would be an achievement. An amazing outcome would be to qualify for international assignments for the season after that, but even that feels like a long shot. I hope she proves me wrong!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well considering the next Olympics isn’t until 2022 and we just had Worlds, it’s not surprising that she won’t achieve those goals this year. :)

Seriously, though, I think Gracie has made tremendous progress since last November. She’s in much better shape, appears to have all her triples back, at least in isolation / in practice, has enough stamina to perform a three minute show program with at least one triple jump (yes it was just a 3T, and yes it was a bit two footed), and she looked really, really happy to be out there. That is a huge amount of positive change in just 6 months or so. Will she be ready to compete internationally this fall? Maybe not, but if she does lots of domestic club competitions instead, who knows where she’ll be a year from now? Given the lack of depth in US ladies - as compared to the depth in Japan and Russia - if she can return to anything like her pre-2017 form - and yes, that’s a big if - it’s not totally out of the question for her to medal at Nats and make the World Team in 2021 or 2022. I’m still rooting for her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Given the lack of depth in US ladies - as compared to the depth in Japan and Russia - if she can return to anything like her pre-2017 form - and yes, that’s a big if - it’s not totally out of the question for her to medal at Nats and make the World Team in 2021 or 2022. I’m still rooting for her.

It's going to be an uphill battle, but hopefully she can do it. We're focusing a lot on her jumps, but everything else (spins, steps, speed, etc.) needs a lot of improvement from what she showed at Rostelecom, too. With COP, there aren't any "throwaway" elements; the levels and execution have to be there on every move.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Gracie doing a triple even in a small show is a huge step forward. Who knows what she can or can’t accomplish but I hope the rest of her career happens on her terms. I don’t think qualifying for nationals is an unreachable goal.