2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 277 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

truthbooth

On the Ice
Bradie's free skate at WTT was commanding and powerful with effortless elements. The performance of her career so far, certainly!

skatenewbie

Medalist
If Bradie skate like that again she could've been World medallist! She just need consistency! So thrilled for US ladies future

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Bradie was on fire. I said many times already and I shall say again that her programs are the highlight of this season.

As for her score, some URs that were clear during the slo-mo were forgiven today. It means that if she wants to be in 75+150=225 range she has to address them.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Bradie was on fire. I said many times already and I shall say again that her programs are the highlight of this season.

As for her score, some URs that were clear during the slo-mo were forgiven today. It means that if she wants to be in 75+150=225 range she has to address them.

Yes she was......I finally got to see some unblocked performances. Nathan was blocked but, I saw Vincent and Bradie Tennell's free programs and I was blown away by how well they skated. We really have a great team of skaters this season. Maybe the best overall that I've seen. I remember 1996 when Michelle and Todd were world Champions but, we weren't dance and pairs strong in those days. This is a really great showing from the US team and the skaters look so happy. I love that.

natsulian

Final Flight
Bradie was ON FIRE. Should she continue to improve and piece together her season, Bradie could very well score above 225 in other competitions aside from World Team Trophy. Mariah will also begin receiving PCS boosts and it’ll be interesting to see how far she goes next season.

lizardlass

On the Ice
I am so happy for Bradie. She put everything into that performance, and she had a real star presence, especially towards the end.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

It's really frustrating that the judging panels were so tough at the beginning of the season with the new, stricter rotation standards, but by Worlds the standards were as loose as they've ever been. There's no consistency whatsoever.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Yes she was......I finally got to see some unblocked performances. Nathan was blocked but, I saw Vincent and Bradie Tennell's free programs and I was blown away by how well they skated. We really have a great team of skaters this season. Maybe the best overall that I've seen. I remember 1996 when Michelle and Todd were world Champions but, we weren't dance and pairs strong in those days. This is a really great showing from the US team and the skaters look so happy. I love that.

Off topic but that's not totally true. Meno/Sand won Bronze at worlds in 95 and 96 and silver in 98. And in 97 there were two teams in the top 5! (4th I/D and 5th M/S). M/S were 5th at the Olympics in 94 and I/D were 4th in 98. Perhaps they didn't dominate any podiums but the 90s were actually pretty decent for US pairs. Two teams were usually finishing at least top 12 at worlds. It wasn't until I/Z (7th in 2000 and 01 and Bronze in 02, 6th at 02 Olympics) retired in 2002 that US pairs really sank.

Only Ice Dance was the weak spot. So if there had been a team event back then I think the US would have done really well since outside of Russia and Canada who else was there?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So if there had been a team event back then I think the US would have done really well since outside of Russia and Canada who else was there?

Well, I suppose that depends on the year. But at the 1994 Olympics, which is the one I just bothered to look up, there would have been Ukraine--who finished ahead of the U.S. in three disciplines and did field athletes in all 4.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Only Ice Dance was the weak spot. So if there had been a team event back then I think the US would have done really well since outside of Russia and Canada who else was there?

France split results with the U.S. in the 4 disciplines 50/50 in 1998, though I think in this case the U.S. would have had an advantage. (As, it was really asking a lot to get two clean programs out of Candeloro. Four, methinks, would have been extraordinary).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Regardless of whether Gracie comes backwith a vengeance or not Bradie is the hope and of course Mariah is solid as Tina has potential and then there is in two years Alyssa. USA is looking good with or without Gracie. Gracie is a force to be reckon with if she gets back to her formerr glory - just more consistent and competitive or strong.

halulupu

Final Flight
mariah has a supberb 2a. she could learn 3a what do u think? I am sure raf thins how she could complicate her BV. 3-3 is not her thing so maybe a 3a could be the way to go or is it too late in her career?

skatenewbie

Medalist
mariah has a supberb 2a. she could learn 3a what do u think? I am sure raf thins how she could complicate her BV. 3-3 is not her thing so maybe a 3a could be the way to go or is it too late in her career?
i think she can, iirc Mariah have tried 3A in harness before. It will take time though, Mirai took 2-3 years until she confident to attempt it in competition.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe athletes in general, but singles figure skaters are a different story. Unfortunately, these young women have to deal with two realities: a slimmer build actually does help rotating jumps, and many in the skating community (especially sponsors) want these ladies to have a certain "look" for marketability purposes. Pretending eating disorders aren't prevalent only does damage because it makes women feel like no one else is going through the same struggles they are. When, in her interview, Gracie was talking about her insane diet with her friends, the unhealthy behavior was completely normalized in that group. If that's her every day life, of course she would think something was wrong with her for wanting to eat a normal meal.

Is it allowed to pull this post out and start a new thread with it?

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Mariah actually has good jumps. She has a lot of height and flow and great knee bend. I don't really know what's her problem with 3-3 but it may very well just be a combination of her specific technique + her body. Her 2A is quite good though, I don't see any harm in her trying 3A, while continuing to work on 3-3 too.

natsulian

Final Flight
Calista and Isabelle, coached by Bradie's coach, are currently practicing the 4T. Both will be juniors this upcoming season and are very talented. Wishing them the best of luck.