2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 279 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Polina posted a video on Instagram of her landing her first 3Lz in 19 months. So far, she’s posted 3T, 2A-3T, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, and a few other jump combos.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Polina posted a video on Instagram of her landing her first 3Lz in 19 months. So far, she’s posted 3T, 2A-3T, 3Lo, 3F, 3Lz, and a few other jump combos.

Polina was actually an excellent competitor, so it wouldn't surprise me for her to have a nice comeback if she's doing the jumps consistently in practice. Although doing a 3Lz today after 19 months doesn't necessarily mean it will be a consistent jump for her. Still, it will be interesting to see how her comeback goes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Polina was actually an excellent competitor, so it wouldn't surprise me for her to have a nice comeback if she's doing the jumps consistently in practice. Although doing a 3Lz today after 19 months doesn't necessarily mean it will be a consistent jump for her. Still, it will be interesting to see how her comeback goes.

True....Polina reminds me a bit of Kimmie. Solid and dependable. She could have a great comeback. Gracie V Polina would be an event in itself.

doublequad

On the Ice

Polina has a gorgeous lutz with a solid outside edge. Other than that tight landing it was great!

andromache

Record Breaker
Impressed with Polina getting all her triples back. I'm not sure she'll be a huge threat at Nationals (since I think URs will continue to hurt her scores), but I am excited to see what she brings artistically. Her Palladio SP was excellent.

natsulian

Final Flight
Vincent posted about Gracie today and it’s quite interesting. It insinuates that Gracie might be leaving him.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Vincent posted about Gracie today and it’s quite interesting. It insinuates that Gracie might be leaving him.

I read that but I don't think so. It might be in relationship to comments in a news article. But if she leaves it seems like it will be on good terms.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Someone in the comments asked if Gracie was leaving and he said she was still training with them.

I wonder if she's unhappy with the progress of her comeback. Her participation in Rostelecom suggested she would have wanted a bye to Nationals, so she must have anticipated being in good form by then. We've seen her do most of the triples now, but maybe the consistency isn't where she wants them to be yet.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Gracie really needs to make a decision. She's not getting any younger and time is running out. If she doesn't like Vincent than move on asap. You have one life Gracie, do what's best for you.

doublequad

On the Ice
I'm sure Restencourt was a great coach when it came to coaching Gracie's mental and emotional health but given that he doesn't really have any international-calibre students or seem to work with anyone that does, I've always said swapping coaches wasn't the worst idea. I'm not going to say what the appropriate time to come back to competitive form is but Gracie doesn't appear to have her 3Lz-3T back let alone a consistent 3-3.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Coach Vincent’s IG and I didn’t think it implied Gracie was leaving at all, quite the opposite: that she said something to him that warmed his heart.

Gracie trained with Frank Carroll. If she wanted a big name coach, she’d be with a big name coach. From what little I know and can tell, she’s happy flying under the radar with Vincent.

And although he’s not Frank Carroll, Vincent has worked as the one of the primary coaches of Ting Cui and an adjunct coach to Jason Brown, so it’s not as though he’s never seen an international skater:)

andromache

Record Breaker
Gracie seems to purposefully be taking her comeback slow. Rushing things could really hurt her mental health.

Even if she never makes another World team, I think as long as Gracie finds some satisfaction in the work she is doing and whatever the result is - that's what matters.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More about Gracie:

She appeared at a fundraiser for the Ice Theatre of New York last night to receive an award and gave a speech in accepting the award. She evidently said she will compete when she and her team think she’s ready.

Not that I know for sure, but it is, way, way, more likely that in his IG Vincent was touched by her speech at the fundraiser. Instead the poor guy gets accused of vaguebooking:laugh:

tothepointe

On the Ice
I saw Coach Vincent’s IG and I didn’t think it implied Gracie was leaving at all, quite the opposite: that she said something to him that warmed his heart.

Gracie trained with Frank Carroll. If she wanted a big name coach, she’d be with a big name coach. From what little I know and can tell, she’s happy flying under the radar with Vincent.

And although he’s not Frank Carroll, Vincent has worked as the one of the primary coaches of Ting Cui and an adjunct coach to Jason Brown, so it’s not as though he’s never seen an international skater:)

International coaches have to start somewhere. Kori Aide didn't have international students before Jason. Also he was an international competitor himself. Did well on the Jr circuit and skated 3 senior GP seasons. Gracie has enough experience that she could have started coaching full time and been successful. What she needs most is someone who can fill in the gaps and be a supportive coach and change the relationship she has with skating.

Like Karen above she has acheived a lot as a skater and there are only a few more things she could acheive in terms of competition results but those podium spots are limited. What she has acheived is enough and I always felt that her motivation is trying to close her story arc in a positive way.