2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 281 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Very impressive. If she can do the 4Lz now, it's hard to imagine she'd ever lose the ability to do a 3Lz. Keeping all the jumps through the 3Lz will secure her place near the top of the US women's field.
Alysa's technique, especially compared to her 4Lz at the ice show, has improved quite well. The height and distance is commendable. Best of luck to her.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It seems she does not have a lot of speed going into the jump (3A too). I remember there is a theory (can be totally wrong) that if one can do a difficult jump without much speed, chances are high she can keep her jump after growth. Can anyone confirm this theory?

Updates:
- US Novice Champion Calista Choi will have her new program choreographed by Benoit
- Bradie Tennell's Free will be choreographed by Benoit as well
- ALYSA LIU, 4Lz and 4Lz-3T (under-rotated) --> https://www.instagram.com/p/BxS6JhWHuvU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
Cinema Paradiso is a beautiful piece of music but it is quite slow and is not very dynamic. I actually hope Bradie can keep at least one of her past season's programs.

For me Cinema Paradiso is a very atmospheric piece so there can be an interesting and memorable program. Good luck to Bradie.

bytheriver

On the Ice
It seems she does not have a lot of speed going into the jump (3A too). I remember there is a theory (can be totally wrong) that if one can do a difficult jump without much speed, chances are high she can keep her jump after growth. Can anyone confirm this theory?

Not necessarily. Often being able to complete a jump with very little speed like Alysa does means that you aren’t comfortable taking speed into it. This could be for a variety of reasons, she’s still learning it for one, but right now she is relying on rotation speed and lightness like Eteri’s girls, but to an extreme since she comes to a near dead halt e teeing the jumps. Hopefully she will be able to keep some of that, but rotation speed is one of the first things to decrease when you hit puberty. She’ll need to rely more on speed and height as she grows, which comes with issues of controlling all that power (see: Gracie, Tuktik, Gabby D).

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa's only seriously worked on the 4Lz for a few months and it's already gotten to the point where she can add a 3T, albeit under-rotated. Frightening. Let's see how it all improves between now and Salt Lake City. I'm sure she's going to go for that, "First American lady to land a ratified quad" title. Also, I found a post saying that her 4Lz is only about 47 cm high... which is skeptical unless they were talking about the ice show one and not the new ones. You need at least 50 cm or higher to complete all the rotations and of the three 4Lz she attempted, 2/3 were rotated, so unless she rotates crazy fast, I'm sure her 4Lz were at least 50+ cm high. It'll be an exciting race to see who becomes the first lady to land a 3A and quad in one program.

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Alysa's only seriously worked on the 4Lz for a few months and it's already gotten to the point where she can add a 3T, albeit under-rotated. Frightening. Let's see how it all improves between now and Salt Lake City. I'm sure she's going to go for that, "First American lady to land a ratified quad" title. Also, I found a post saying her 4Lz is only about 47 cm high... which is skeptical unless they were talking about the ice show one and not the new ones.

I'm sure they're talking about the ice show considering the post came out just before the new quad videos were released. I would love to see data on the new ones though, they definitely look higher and better.

natsulian

Final Flight
I'm sure they're talking about the ice show considering the post came out just before the new quad videos were released. I would love to see data on the new ones though, they definitely look higher and better.

I'm not sure about the correlation between off-ice and on-ice jumps, but off-ice, she said that she can jump 96.5 cm high. 0_0

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

frida80

Record Breaker
Her 4Lz is really close. Far closer than her 3A was by this time last year. Just about 10° before it’s fully rotated. I hope she does Broodmore Aerial Jump Competition next month. I’d love to see how much it’s improved with a few more weeks of instruction at TCC.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
But at least, she does not slow down before takeoff. She just does not accelerate.
I remember Nathan typically slows down before quad takeoffs until last year, and I thought he had bad technique, but he proved me wrong.

Not necessarily. Often being able to complete a jump with very little speed like Alysa does means that you aren’t comfortable taking speed into it. This could be for a variety of reasons, she’s still learning it for one, but right now she is relying on rotation speed and lightness like Eteri’s girls, but to an extreme since she comes to a near dead halt e teeing the jumps. Hopefully she will be able to keep some of that, but rotation speed is one of the first things to decrease when you hit puberty. She’ll need to rely more on speed and height as she grows, which comes with issues of controlling all that power (see: Gracie, Tuktik, Gabby D).

natsulian

Final Flight
So... what’s on everyone’s radar for this upcoming season?
- How will Alysa and Hanna fare on the Junior Grand Prix? Alysa is riding off of Nationals’ momentum, but international judges are a whole different ballgame and her edge and under-rotation calls (especially on the second half 3Lz-3T) will be scrutinized. If Hanna does stay as a Junior and improves her artistry, packaging, and stamina during the second half, she’ll be a medal threat in every competition and could potentially earn enough points for the Junior Grand Prix Final. A Hanna with a few step outs and shaky landings was able to score near 180. A clean Hanna known by the judges can probably score 190 or even 200+ if she adds a 3A or 4T/4S.
- Bradie vs Ting vs Mariah will be an interesting battle. Will Bradie go for the 3Lz-3Lo? Will Mariah add a 3-3 in her Free? Will Ting find her consistency? A clean Ting with a 3Lz-3T, 3F-Eu-3S, and 4T will wipe the floor with Mariah and maybe even Bradie and Alysa. Should Ting find consistency and stride, it will be exciting to see how she fares against not just the top US ladies, but the world’s top tier ladies. Ting is a medal threat. As for Bradie, she showed that with enough fight and passion, she can score above 225 internationally. If she builds enough momentum going into Worlds, she could very well end up surprising people. Mariah is the huge question mark because now that she’s shown what she’s capable of when clean, by simply refining her jumps and adding in difficulty, the judges will reward her, it’s just a matter of if and maybe when.
- How will Gracie, Karen, and Polina fare? Should they make their comebacks and not withdraw or delay their comebacks, how will the judges award them? They’re all big question marks right now.
- How will Starr, Megan, and Amber perform? Will Starr get over her sophomore slump? Will Megan surprise us? Will Amber finally put together two clean programs?
- Is Pooja healed? Will she be left behind by the trio that is Alysa, Ting, and Hanna? Is she still training a 4T? She was at the Jump on It camp this weekend, so maybe she’s healed? Hmmmm.
- Will Audrey figure out her under rotation calls and land the 4T in competition?
- Potential dark horses for the Junior Grand Prix: Calista Choi, Kate Wang, and a few others.

bytheriver

On the Ice
But at least, she does not slow down before takeoff. She just does not accelerate.
I remember Nathan typically slows down before quad takeoffs until last year, and I thought he had bad technique, but he proved me wrong.

Quite a few of the quad jumpers slow down a bit into the jump - I think just because most of them (including Trusova) have so much speed going in. But comparatively they are still going faster into their jumps than Alysa who is noticeably slow into most of her jumps, not just the 3A or quads. I still believe she has a chance to keep her jumps into adulthood, just not convinced on the big ones as she relies so heavily on rotating quickly, which is the first thing to go when you develop any semblance of an adult body type.