2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 282 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Happy Skates

Final Flight
So... what’s on everyone’s radar for this upcoming season?
- How will Alysa and Hanna fare on the Junior Grand Prix? Alysa is riding off of Nationals’ momentum, but international judges are a whole different ballgame and her edge and under-rotation calls (especially on the second half 3Lz-3T) will be scrutinized. If Hanna does stay as a Junior and improves her artistry, packaging, and stamina during the second half, she’ll be a medal threat in every competition and could potentially earn enough points for the Junior Grand Prix Final. A Hanna with a few step outs and shaky landings was able to score near 180. A clean Hanna known by the judges can probably score 190 or even 200+ if she adds a 3A or 4T/4S.
- Bradie vs Ting vs Mariah will be an interesting battle. Will Bradie go for the 3Lz-3Lo? Will Mariah add a 3-3 in her Free? Will Ting find her consistency? A clean Ting with a 3Lz-3T, 3F-Eu-3S, and 4T will wipe the floor with Mariah and maybe even Bradie and Alysa. Should Ting find consistency and stride, it will be exciting to see how she fares against not just the top US ladies, but the world’s top tier ladies. Ting is a medal threat. As for Bradie, she showed that with enough fight and passion, she can score above 225 internationally. If she builds enough momentum going into Worlds, she could very well end up surprising people. Mariah is the huge question mark because now that she’s shown what she’s capable of when clean, by simply refining her jumps and adding in difficulty, the judges will reward her, it’s just a matter of if and maybe when.
- How will Gracie, Karen, and Polina fare? Should they make their comebacks and not withdraw or delay their comebacks, how will the judges award them? They’re all big question marks right now.
- How will Starr, Megan, and Amber perform? Will Starr get over her sophomore slump? Will Megan surprise us? Will Amber finally put together two clean programs?
- Is Pooja healed? Will she be left behind by the trio that is Alysa, Ting, and Hanna? Is she still training a 4T? She was at the Jump on It camp this weekend, so maybe she’s healed? Hmmmm.
- Will Audrey figure out her under rotation calls and land the 4T in competition?
- Potential dark horses for the Junior Grand Prix: Calista Choi, Kate Wang, and a few others.

Other than Alysa's JGP debut, Ting's GP debut, and Hanna, I am super interested in who the US will send on the JGP. Thanks to Ting and Hanna, and the fact that we have a US JGP, we have so many JGP spots. This means a bunch of girls are going to get a great opportunity! I'm guessing they'll send Pooja because she's still young enough, and probably Hanna because I'm guessing she's not getting a GP. Although I guess theres a small chance she will if she gets a host spot or the USFS politics her one. I'm not sure which one she'd be better off doing though, both the junior and senior fields are going to be very tough. Other than that, hopefully someone new will surprise us!

natsulian

Final Flight
I am really excited to see Calista Choi make her junior debut. She’s starting the process of getting a 4T and her technique and artistry is really good for her age group. Can’t wait. She’s still working on a 3-3 and the 3F, so let’s hope she makes a good splash.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I am really excited to see Calista Choi make her junior debut. She’s starting the process of getting a 4T and her technique and artistry is really good for her age group. Can’t wait. She’s still working on a 3-3 and the 3F, so let’s hope she makes a good splash.

Wow, she has really good skating skills for her age! Her triples look strong too.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Wow, she has really good skating skills for her age! Her triples look strong too.

She does have a beautiful flow over the ice, lots of ease. She needs 3-3's on JGP next season to be any sort of a factor, but her jumps do look like she has the potential to get a nice 3-3.

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice

For me Callista can easily be the biggest highlight of 2019 Junior Grand Prix circuit. Great skater with great spins and footwork!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alysa in Sports Illustrated: In Quads We Trust: 13-Year-Old Alysa Liu Is the Future of U.S. Ladies’ Figure Skating
https://www.si.com/olympics/2019/05/16/alysa-liu-us-figure-skating-future-quads

It just seems too early for all these expectations and Olympic hype.

I actually think she's being handled well by her people. I haven't seen a lot of her in the media or in advertisements, and I'm sure given her historical achievement at Nationals she'd be in high demand. I agree that saying she's our best hope for an Olympic medal in 15 years is a bit much at this point, but hopefully she doesn't let things like that get in her head.

Hevari

On the Ice
Alysa in Sports Illustrated: In Quads We Trust: 13-Year-Old Alysa Liu Is the Future of U.S. Ladies’ Figure Skating

It just seems too early for all these expectations and Olympic hype.

Agree...

Can't understand why do they need to make all that hype over the skater who only isabout to begin her junior career? Why? Why nit simply to let things go their way? Didn't we learn nothing from Gracie Gold's story about that the hype and putting hopes on teen skater is bad?

- - - Updated - - -

I actually think she's being handled well by her people. I haven't seen a lot of her in the media or in advertisements, and I'm sure given her historical achievement at Nationals she'd be in high demand. I agree that saying she's our best hope for an Olympic medal in 15 years is a bit much at this point, but hopefully she doesn't let things like that get in her head.

For me Callista Choi can also grow to be a medal contender.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Can't understand why do they need to make all that hype over the skater who only isabout to begin her junior career? Why? Why nit simply to let things go their way? Didn't we learn nothing from Gracie Gold's story about that the hype and putting hopes on teen skater is bad?

From the perspective of the USFSA, I guess they're simply trying to prop up a sport that's dying in this country any way they can. Whether or not Alysa lives up to expectations, it probably helps skating in the US to have an American to root for the next few years, one who isn't lacking the jumps to compete with the best women in the world. Alysa did bring this attention onto herself by choosing to compete as a senior at Nationals; when you beat the skaters moving on to the World Championships by landing three 3A's, people are going to notice you. None of this should be a surprise to her team.

Hevari

On the Ice
From the perspective of the USFSA, I guess they're simply trying to prop up a sport that's dying in this country any way they can. Whether or not Alysa lives up to expectations, it probably helps skating in the US to have an American to root for the next few years, one who isn't lacking the jumps to compete with the best women in the world. Alysa did bring this attention onto herself by choosing to compete as a senior at Nationals; when you beat the skaters moving on to the World Championships by landing three 3A's, people are going to notice you. None of this should be a surprise to her team.

But we still have Bradie who hopely will continue to do 3Lz+3Lo (simply made some mistakes which costed her gold at Nationals), we have Hanna Harrell, Starr Andrews with 3A as well... Calista Choi enters junior circuit... For me US ladies field is quite strong and interesting to watch even without artifical hype....

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Alysa’s agent seems quite familiar with hype and expectations - she has the same agent as Gracie and Nathan.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa’s father seems to be making sure that she’s grounded and Alysa, Lipetsky, and him have a very close relationship. The hype doesn’t bother me for some reason because it’s contained to a certain core audience and when you’re trained at a young age to handle the media as she’s been, think about how prepared she will be when when Beijing comes around should she make it. Plus, her father will make sure that she’s protected, as he did during Nationals. Despite the online and media hype, you did not see or hear Alysa until her programs and the competition were over. Also, Alysa’s dad knows a lot about skating, he literally idolizes Michelle Kwan and Yuna Kim and from what he’s been saying, really wants Alysa to be an artistic skater.

Key Notes:
- Training the 4Lz daily, but on the harness, rarely off of it
- Trains everyday for two sessions, including Saturday and Sunday
- Thinks the 4Lz is as easy as the 3Lz, but the 4S is very difficult for her
- Has been working on spins, skating skills, and presentation more than ever
- Does not know the racial identity of her surrogate mother
- Father makes her jump a certain jump five times, falls do not count
- Inspired Mariah Bell to start training the 3A and Bell has actually trained it since last summer as well
- Doesn’t mind waiting to be in the senior ranks internationally if it means more practice time
- Went to Lori for choreography and to improve her artistry
- Alysa says she wants to grow taller so that she can show the audience everything she has to offer

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But we still have Bradie who hopely will continue to do 3Lz+3Lo (simply made some mistakes which costed her gold at Nationals), we have Hanna Harrell, Starr Andrews with 3A as well... Calista Choi enters junior circuit... For me US ladies field is quite strong and interesting to watch even without artifical hype....

To be fair, what Alyssa achieved at Nationals goes beyond "hype". She showed she can perform world-class technical merit under pressure; aside from Bradie, none of the other women you mentioned have. It's possible others will surpass Alyssa in the next few years, but she is well ahead of her similarly-aged peers in the US right now.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
To be fair, what Alyssa achieved at Nationals goes beyond "hype". She showed she can perform world-class technical merit under pressure; aside from Bradie, none of the other women you mentioned have. It's possible others will surpass Alyssa in the next few years, but she is well ahead of her similarly-aged peers in the US right now.

Alysa spells her name with only one "s." I think the rest of your post has a good point. I think Ting has not been that far off technically, though, when she delivers the goods. (They were very close technically before Alysa added the axel). We wait and see how Alysa does on the JGP with tight calling. We wait & see how and when she deals with growing up. We wait & see how she deals with the pressure of being expected to win. But likewise, we can appreciate that she is pushing the technical envelope. That she sure stood up under the challenge of facing the best of her countrymen at Nationals. And she is a joy to watch. Really, it is great to be able to say this about any of the junior U.S. ladies. I hope she has a great season. At the very least, that she enjoys the learning process. As I've said before, I've like this particular generation of U.S. ladies (Alysa, Ting, Angelina, Pooja, and Hanna) since I first saw them three years ago.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... The last video question was from 9-year-old Broadmoor Skating Club member Jocelyn Nutt ...

https://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=92399&type=media ...

Someone from Team Jocelyn shared a video snippet from Governing Council. For me, it shows that Alysa has a good head on her shoulders :yes: :cool::

The question for Alysa from 9-year-old Jocelyn (via prerecorded video on a big screen): "Do you have a tip for me to be the best skater like you?"

Then onstage live at GC, a moderator says to Alysa (before allowing her to reply to the question) that Alysa is a role model. With a self-deprecating and humorous tone, Alysa's reaction is a simple "Yay" and giggle.

Then in answer to Jocelyn, Alysa gives two tips, both of which I think are healthy and wise. (Her tips are authentically from her, I believe -- in other words, not scripted by someone else.)

First tip: "Make a lot of friends." When some of the audience responds with laughter, she adds, "They do help you!"
(Lest anyone wonder: I believe that she is talking about innocent friendships with supportive peers who help her enjoy the sport as she works hard. I doubt that she means anything the least bit cynical.)

Second tip (rough transcription of the gist): Always, always put skating first before anything else, but always have something else as well as skating … so that you don't get bored from skating … so always find something else you like to do … so you want to learn more because you don't do it all the time … you just want to learn more and more about it ...​

ETA:

Forgot that I wanted to post one of the tweets from the SI author, @kalynkahler:

As an NFL writer, I rarely cover female athletes, so this story was special (love hanging out w/ middle school girls!) Homemade slime, carpool, packed lunches. This is my fav pic, by @deanne_fitz, of Alysa & BFF Juliana. Girlhood & friendship forever.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6s1BadXoAMyXbP.jpg

https://twitter.com/kalynkahler/status/1129054587179143168 (May 16)​

ETA:

Tomorrow, May 18, in Beaverton, Oregon: Winterhawks Skating Center's Inner Edge Academy is holding a meet-and-greet with Alysa. 2:15 - 3:00 pm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxA9f0YJe-U/

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I'd say Alyssa is very authentic and handled the question very well. It seems she really has some nice friends probably outside of her skating life. I remember she mentioned her friend in the Jimmy Fallon Show.

First tip: "Make a lot of friends."

Second tip (rough transcription of the gist): Always, always put skating first before anything else, but always have something else as well as skating … so that you don't get bored from skating … so always find something else you like to do … so you want to learn more because you don't do it all the time … you just want to learn more and more about it ...

:love: