2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 286 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Depending on what her goals are in the sport, doing pairs could make a lot of sense. If she wants to get on an Olympic team (and earn an almost-guaranteed team medal), a woman in the US has a lot better chance of doing so as a pairs skater.

I was about to say the exact same thing. I think this is a wise and well thought out plan.

natsulian

Final Flight
Calista is going to compete as a Junior internationally and already has both her Short and Long completed, so I’m sure she’s still gunning to be a top lady. I’m worried that by splitting her training time between singles and pairs, either one or both of her events will suffer. Either way, she has all her triples (and consistent too), so it’ll be interesting to see how the partnership pushes the other junior teams forward. Imagine a 3Lz-2T-2T sbs alongside like a 2A-3T sbs and a Thr3F... insane for a Junior US pairs team.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
How many spots on the GP do the US ladies have in the upcoming season? Who will fill them?

Amber Glenn?
Mariah Bell
Starr Andrews
Bradie Tennell
Ting Cui?
Megan Wessenberg?

Will there be more ladies than the 6 I listed? If so, who could they be?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Kristi said it made her a better competitor. I'm also worried, but I'm hoping for the best.

I doubt practicing pairs would make a singles skaters better today, because there are so many things you can work on to earn more points like improving the quality and level of spins/footwork, doing more difficult jumps, adding transitions to programs, etc. Interestingly, it looks like Calista is working some with Kyoko Ina, who also competing in both singles and pairs.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I forgot about Akari Nakahara, Courtney Hicks, and Emmy Ma. Depending on how many spots the US ladies have, any of these 3 could get an invitation to the GP, right?

frida80

Record Breaker
I doubt practicing pairs would make a singles skaters better today, because there are so many things you can work on to earn more points like improving the quality and level of spins/footwork, doing more difficult jumps, adding transitions to programs, etc. Interestingly, it looks like Calista is working some with Kyoko Ina, who also competing in both singles and pairs.

I think Kristi fed off the pressure. She clearly liked to compete and didn’t give up pairs until she had too.

Calista is still young. I hope she takes advantage of these opportunities while she can. Emily Chan did both, now she’s switched back to pairs.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Correcting myself re Gabbie Izzo:

Although I have said (probably in more than one thread) that Gabbie will be starting at Harvard in the fall … I just learned that she in fact will be taking a gap year before Harvard.

Per her appearance tonight on WCVB :cool::

ETA: Gabbie is in the second half of the video. Starting at 2:35.

I apologize that my previous posts did not have the timeline right.​

How many spots on the GP do the US ladies have in the upcoming season? ...

A question that has no answer.

Federations cannot earn in advance (or be allotted) "x" or "y" or "z" number of total GP spots for a particular discipline.

Host federations invite skaters.

It is possible only for an individual lady to earn one or two guaranteed spots that belong only to herself.
ETA:​
In other words, if a U.S. lady with a guaranteed spot needed to withdraw from her assigned GP, the host federation for that GP is under no obligation to fill the vacated slot with a different U.S. lady.​

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
How many spots on the GP do the US ladies have in the upcoming season? Who will fill them?

Amber Glenn?
Mariah Bell
Starr Andrews
Bradie Tennell
Ting Cui?
Megan Wessenberg?

Will there be more ladies than the 6 I listed? If so, who could they be?

Karen Chen ?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kristi said it made her a better competitor. I'm also worried, but I'm hoping for the best.

But then remember she chose singles over pairs to focus on winning singles At least nowthere aren't school figures to learn and practice.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Gabriella Izzo and Audrey Shin are question marks.

I don’t believe we’ll see these 2 on the GP. The JGP, definitely, if they want to.

The usfsa seems to not like Courtney anymore. Has anyone noticed?

Starr Andrews hopefully will have a great lp this season. She hasn’t announced it yet, just the sp.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don’t believe we’ll see these 2 on the GP. The JGP, definitely, if they want to.

The usfsa seems to not like Courtney anymore. Has anyone noticed?

Starr Andrews hopefully will have a great lp this season. She hasn’t announced it yet, just the sp.

I've noticed about Courtney. It happened a few years ago. I think their tired of her national finishes. Now that there are more younger skating rising through the ranks, there not as interested in her.

frida80

Record Breaker
But then remember she chose singles over pairs to focus on winning singles At least nowthere aren't school figures to learn and practice.

Two years into senior. As a junior she won junior Worlds in senior and pairs the same year. She and Rudy won nationals at the senior level for two years. Her last year doing both she ranked at Worlds 4th in singles and fifth in pairs. The next year when she gave up pairs, she won Worlds and of course the Olympics the next year.

I highly doubt any one could every be this successful in two disciplines at the same time, but I do theorize by competing more it gave her a chance to develop a winner's mentality with the focus, drive and at the ability to stay in the zone.

And then she won dancing with the stars... I guess it never goes away.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I've noticed about Courtney. It happened a few years ago. I think their tired of her national finishes. Now that there are more younger skating rising through the ranks, there not as interested in her.

I'm a Courtney fan, but at some point she has to do more to help herself. Her programs have a lot of transitions, but everything doesn't come together for the performance if she doesn't hit her jumps. Her SP combo lately is one that's a low percentage element for her, so she usually buries herself in the standings even before the LP.

Ykai

On the Ice
At Colonial Open, Indi Cha won Junior Ladies SP and FS.

Returning from injury that forced her to miss most of the 2018-19 season, Ellen Slavicek (sixth in Advanced Novice at 2018 Asian Open Trophy, behind Indi in fifth) competed at California Championships. Ellen's private Instagram showed herself with fellow CC medalists. (Ellen with the gold, I think? … maybe just for one segment?)

Brynne McIsaac won Senior Ladies at California Championships.​

Something wrong with the link to the results of the intermediate ladies groups of the Colonial open. Do you have any idea?

labgoat

I have no words
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I would like to see Courtney straighten her axis when she jumps and not break forward so much. She seems to enter with decent speed, but ends forward and scratchy on the front of the blade a lot of the time.Ordinarily I would think she needs core strength, but I do not think this is her problem. She has an inconsistent axis sometimes leaning too far back, sometimes breaking too far forward. I remember Liz Manley having similar issues finally settling on a lifting of the body as a unit resulting in the kind of powerful, springy jumps I'd like to see from Courtney.