2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 98 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Angela will not skate well. I know it. She has never even been top 6 at nationals. I kinda wish someone else got the spot instead of her. We’ll see her fall and pop and whatnot all over her 2 assignments.☹️

Who else that doesn't have 2 GP events would you send? Wessenberg and Hicks have one; Wessenberg was 17th at Nationals, while Hicks is among our least consistent women. As long as Hicks is attempting that 3F-3Lo, she won't get anywhere near a GP podium. I have no clue why she abandoned the 3T combination.

Amei

Record Breaker
Who else that doesn't have 2 GP events would you send? Wessenberg and Hicks have one; Wessenberg was 17th at Nationals, while Hicks is among our least consistent women. As long as Hicks is attempting that 3F-3Lo, she won't get anywhere near a GP podium. I have no clue why she abandoned the 3T combination.

And Wang will? She competed a couple of weeks ago at Finlandia with only a few top skaters and finished 9th - she was over 25 points out from third place.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
With all of these ladies learning Quads and 3As now, I hope we see Karen doing one (Lutz please) at some point. I know she's unreliable as a competitor, but if she had a quad, it'd probably be one of the most satisfying ones in the ladies' field. Just look at her beautiful 3Lz: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjvo0GGh8kM/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ar62nf2zrz0w 😍😍 It's just something I'd personally love to see. Not now, of course because her health is #1 but hopefully in the future!

i think that Bradie Tennell has a lot to gain and a lot to loose this weekend. She seemed to spring up out of nowhere last year as Miss Nerves of Steal, but she couldn't quite hold on for the Olympics and Worlds. She is off to a good start this year, but Skate America will be a test.

princessalica

Final Flight
I like Courtney, but she has to do more to help herself. This will be her sixth season as a senior, and she is too talented to have the results she does at Nationals.

Totally agree with you there. She’s medaled more than once on the Grand Prix how has she not placed higher at nationals???

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
And Wang will? She competed a couple of weeks ago at Finlandia with only a few top skaters and finished 9th - she was over 25 points out from third place.

I don't think Angela is a better (or worse) choice than Courtney. Angela's nationals placement last year was higher, as was her season's best total score, so that makes her selection somewhat justifiable IMO.

katymay

Medalist
Angela will not skate well. I know it. She has never even been top 6 at nationals. I kinda wish someone else got the spot instead of her. We’ll see her fall and pop and whatnot all over her 2 assignments.☹️

Last year was the best I've ever seen her, I felt she was underscored in the short, specifically. But this year, she doesn't look to be in very good condition. Understandable, you gear up for the Olympic year, and then there is a let down after nationals.

katymay

Medalist
With all of these ladies learning Quads and 3As now, I hope we see Karen doing one (Lutz please) at some point. I know she's unreliable as a competitor, but if she had a quad, it'd probably be one of the most satisfying ones in the ladies' field. Just look at her beautiful 3Lz: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjvo0GGh8kM/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ar62nf2zrz0w ���� It's just something I'd personally love to see. Not now, of course because her health is #1 but hopefully in the future!

I always thought she was capable of a quad Lutz. Speaking of which, welcome Young You to the quad club, her beautiful quad lutz was posted today on twitter. That makes four girls who can now land a quad lutz. My oh my.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
I always thought she was capable of a quad Lutz. Speaking of which, welcome Young You to the quad club, her beautiful quad lutz was posted today on twitter. That makes four girls who can now land a quad lutz. My oh my.

I saw. Young You's actually looked good, like it had potential to be really nice (despite being UR) which reminded me of Karen. Since Tom & Tammy are working together now and Tom is teaching lots of ladies 3As & quads, maybe there's actually a possibility that Karen works on one someday!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Training a quad might actually help Karen, because one of her problems is she delays the start of her rotation too long on the triples. If she can get used to rotating a bit earlier, she might have fewer problems getting her jumps around.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i think that Bradie Tennell has a lot to gain and a lot to loose this weekend. She seemed to spring up out of nowhere last year as Miss Nerves of Steal, but she couldn't quite hold on for the Olympics and Worlds. She is off to a good start this year, but Skate America will be a test.

Well, duh! Bradie had just two internationals as a senior (Lombardia and SA) before being sent off to the biggest international comp of them all: the Olympics. Who wouldn't be a bit cowed by that experience? After the Olympics, she vowed to do better at Worlds, and she did, finishing top 6, and 4th in the FS.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Well, duh! Bradie had just two internationals as a senior (Lombardia and SA) before being sent off to the biggest international comp of them all: the Olympics. Who wouldn't be a bit cowed by that experience? After the Olympics, she vowed to do better at Worlds, and she did, finishing top 6, and 4th in the FS.

I think Bradie will skate well this weekend. Going to Worlds/Olympics as a relatively unknown skater, any mistakes were going to bury her in the standings. She's learning what she needs to do to peak at important events, and her experiences last season will help with that.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, duh! Bradie had just two internationals as a senior (Lombardia and SA) before being sent off to the biggest international comp of them all: the Olympics. Who wouldn't be a bit cowed by that experience? After the Olympics, she vowed to do better at Worlds, and she did, finishing top 6, and 4th in the FS.[/QUOTe

Also, what hurt her at the Olympics is that she was in the first group and the first skater. Us Fed should have sent her to 4CC where she would have been in the top 4, which would have put her in the 2nd or 3rd group in the sp at Olympics.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US never sends its Olympic skaters to 4CC. Too much travel, too much risk for injury, and most of all, too much practice time lost.
If Bradie had gone to 4CC, she would have received low newbie PCS scores so 4th place there is by no means a given. Bradie did skate very well in the Olympic Team SP but got low PCS scores which kept her placement down. Starting a little bit later in the Olympic SP wouldn't raise her PCS score or placement--scores are held down until the penultimate and last flights.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Speaking of Bradie, is there anyone who ascended to the top of this sport in this country so quickly? In one season, she went from not even getting GP assignments to become the clear top American.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Speaking of Bradie, is there anyone who ascended to the top of this sport in this country so quickly? In one season, she went from not even getting GP assignments to become the clear top American.

I mean Mao Asada kind of did, if you look at her during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Among the ladies, maybe Gracie? She went from not making Nationals at the junior level in 2011 to being a world junior medalist and on the WTT team, making her senior international debut, a year later. Not the same drastic rise, but still pretty noteworthy...

Last edited: