2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

bennorii

On the Ice
No, it means there off the list. They got their SB GP slot. They can’t get a second one. They need to be in the top 24 of the WR list. So that means they only get one.

The “they” in my post refers to GP host who select replacements.

I'm pretty sure that's not right. Let's take Brendan Kerry for example. He got Skate Canada initially from his SB (which was not top 24). Then, he got Rostelecom as a 2nd one. He couldn't have been a host pick for either, so having an SB below the threshold that guarantees a skater one GP slot does not preclude them from getting a 2nd one.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
No, it means there off the list. They got their SB GP slot. They can’t get a second one. They need to be in the top 24 of the WR list. So that means they only get one.

The “they” in my post refers to GP host who select replacements.
They’re still allowed another, so they can get a second spot— for example, by being selected for the TBD spot at Skate America. They just aren’t guaranteed more than the one spot they picked up for their SB. But it’s happened before. Similar to how Gracie Gold has one spot right now on the GP for her comeback when Sasha Cohen was invited to two for her 2009-10 comeback— same situation; two spots were allowed but not guaranteed, so whether the second one happens is up to the hosts.

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure that's not right. Let's take Brendan Kerry for example. He got Skate Canada initially from his SB (which was not top 24). Then, he got Rostelecom as a 2nd one. He couldn't have been a host pick for either, so having an SB below the threshold that guarantees a skater one GP slot does not preclude them from getting a 2nd one.

Brendan got his placements during the initial release and not substitution. What happens before the placements are released is a great deal of politicking between federations. Some pick because it's cheaper to pay for transport. Some are picked because they're not threats and they need to fill slots.

However after the slots are picked, they must pull from the substitution list. If you've gotten your a lot from a SB list, you're off the alternate list and won't be chosen. So unless they get the SA TBA, they will only have one GP.

Emmy, OTOH is in the trip ten for alternates. It's a good chance she will be selected.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Both Angela and Courtney already got their GP based on their SB. So they won't get another. They'll move further down the list.

You don't move further down the GP replacement list, and you don't get kicked off it unless you withdraw from an event or you get two spots. Angela & Courtney got their guaranteed spots. But the GP replacement (aka "sub") list is composed of the top 10 athletes on the SB list that have anything less than two GP spots. Host countries are supposed to select replacements from among those ten athletes. This year, the Japanese & Russian ladies among that top ten cannot be selected because they have maxed out on their countries' GP slots. Therefore, the possible replacement list probably goes down further on the SB list to include the top 10 non-Japanese & Russian ladies that do not have two GP spots. Sorry that I missed seeing Emmy on the list. That probably led to some unfair confusion. Like Starr, she can be considered once you remove the possibility of the Japanese & Russian ladies. But Angela & Courtney are still on the list & above both of them, though technically once you're on the replacement list, there is no order. It's more like a pool of ten.

Countries do not always pick from the list; but they are advised to.

bennorii

On the Ice
Brendan got his placements during the initial release and not substitution. What happens before the placements are released is a great deal of politicking between federations. Some pick because it's cheaper to pay for transport. Some are picked because they're not threats and they need to fill slots.

However after the slots are picked, they must pull from the substitution list. If you've gotten your a lot from a SB list, you're off the alternate list and won't be chosen. So unless they get the SA TBA, they will only have one GP.

Emmy, OTOH is in the trip ten for alternates. It's a good chance she will be selected.

This confuses me. Isn't the substitution list based off of the SB list?

frida80

Record Breaker
You don't move further down the GP replacement list, and you don't get kicked off it unless you withdraw from an event or you get two spots. Angela & Courtney got their guaranteed spots. But the GP replacement (aka "sub") list is composed of the top 10 athletes on the SB list that have anything less than two GP spots. Host countries are supposed to select replacements from among those ten athletes. This year, the Japanese & Russian ladies among that top ten cannot be selected because they have maxed out on their countries' GP slots. Therefore, the possible replacement list probably goes down further on the SB list to include the top 10 non-Japanese & Russian ladies that do not have two GP spots. Sorry that I missed seeing Emmy on the list. That probably led to some unfair confusion. Like Starr, she can be considered once you remove the possibility of the Japanese & Russian ladies. But Angela & Courtney are still on the list & above both of them, though technically once you're on the replacement list, there is no order. It's more like a pool of ten.

Countries do not always pick from the list; but they are advised to.

Courtney and Angela weren't gueranteed slots. Their SB weren't in the top 24. They got chosen because their weren't enough slots to fill. So they've already been given an alternate slot already.

Therea also the issue of politicking. None of the ladies have a shot at the GPF, so USFD is less willing to push them on other Feds. Instead they all got gifted slots. Karen managed two because of her high WR. It's unfortunate, but the GP is a difficult system to break into. They've gotten the slots there going to get.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Courtney and Angela weren't gueranteed slots. Their SB weren't in the top 24. They got chosen because their weren't enough slots to fill. So they've already been given an alternate slot already.

Therea also the issue of politicking. None of the ladies have a shot at the GPF, so USFD is less willing to push them on other Feds. Instead they all got gifted slots. Karen managed two because of her high WR. It's unfortunate, but the GP is a difficult system to break into. They've gotten the slots there going to get.

No, that's not how it works. You can end up with 2 spots when not guaranteed any. They didn't get alternate spots. They got initial spots, just ones they weren't guaranteed. They are still there on the replacement list and could still get picked. The replacement list includes the top ten by SB scores who don't have 2 GP and are competing as seniors.

frida80

Record Breaker
No, that's not how it works. You can end up with 2 spots when not guaranteed any. They didn't get alternate spots. They got initial spots, just ones they weren't guaranteed. They are still there on the replacement list and could still get picked. The replacement list includes the top ten by SB scores who don't have 2 GP and are competing as seniors.

They are still very unlikely to get any additional slots. They got the ones they have by clever politicking that allows them to bypass the sectionals to qualify for nationals. Substitutes are at the discretion of the host. Without some outside pressure, they're unlikely to get the spot. USFS has no reason to push them. And US competitors are expensive to move around and get visas for in some countries. Their best shot at a second spot is Canada. Next is France. But they aren't getting any fed support. Considering that Courtney got an alternate slot last year and Angela had no slot at all, in very sure they’re happy with their solo spots.

And I expect some Feds would less likely to give a spot to someone that already has one.

leoleo

Medalist
Hi guys, i've just seen Bradie's new SP and i'm pretty impressed. It's really good so far and a 3lz-3lo too, wow go girl! I haven't seen any video of her FS tho. Can anyone please help? Is there any video of it? I'm very curious. Thanks

sheetz

Record Breaker
It doesn't look like any coach's jacket I've seen. :cool: :). It's a lovely picture, though, esp of Ashley and Adam. Good to see them, and nice to see them looking mellow and happy. I think that's Liza Kulik standing behind Ashley?

I've seen Ashley wear that coat many times in her IG stories when she's at the rink. Maybe they are popular because they are warm?

And yes, that's Liza Kulik. Her Mom, Katia Gordeeva, has been working at Raf's rink but I don't know if she has any official affiliation with him.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmfIAJRFfSh/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl6UjsigceH/

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They are still very unlikely to get any additional slots. They got the ones they have by clever politicking that allows them to bypass the sectionals to qualify for nationals. Substitutes are at the discretion of the host. Without some outside pressure, they're unlikely to get the spot. USFS has no reason to push them. And US competitors are expensive to move around and get visas for in some countries. Their best shot at a second spot is Canada. Next is France. But they aren't getting any fed support. Considering that Courtney got an alternate slot last year and Angela had no slot at all, in very sure they’re happy with their solo spots.

And I expect some Feds would less likely to give a spot to someone that already has one.

It depends entirely on the host. Some hosts would never pick either skater, some would. For instance, Japan would have no problem picking either of them because neither is competitive against Japanese skaters. But Courtney has medaled in Russia, so Russia would be unlikely to pick her again.

I doubt France would pick either Angela or Courtney, as both have SBs in the 80s; the French ladies have SBs in the low 70s (perhaps that's why Algotsson, with an SB in the 60s was invited). The rest of the field are heavy hitters with SBs of 192-238.

Also, distance is a factor, particularly when there is a last-minute vacancy. Canada might pick one of Courtney or Angela if there was a withdrawal close to two weeks of the start date of SC. After all, USFS did pick Chartrand and Reynolds for their SA vacancies, and the time wasn't close.

BTW, Angela didn't have a GP slot last year because in the 2016-2017 season she was injured and didn't compete in any GP, Challenger or ISU Championship events and so wasn't on the SB list (B events don't get on the list) and therefore not on the substitute list as well. Last season, because she was recovering from injury, she wasn't put forward by USFS for initial GP selection in the 2017-2018 season, but was given Challenger assignments. Angela did well enough at those events to get at least one GP invitation this season and is on the substitute list.

frida80

Record Breaker
It depends entirely on the host. Some hosts would never pick either skater, some would. For instance, Japan would have no problem picking either of them because neither is competitive against Japanese skaters. But Courtney has medaled in Russia, so Russia would be unlikely to pick her again.

I doubt France would pick either Angela or Courtney, as both have SBs in the 80s; the French ladies have SBs in the low 70s (perhaps that's why Algotsson, with an SB in the 60s was invited). The rest of the field are heavy hitters with SBs of 192-238.

Also, distance is a factor, particularly when there is a last-minute vacancy. Canada might pick one of Courtney or Angela if there was a withdrawal close to two weeks of the start date of SC. After all, USFS did pick Chartrand and Reynolds for their SA vacancies, and the time wasn't close.

BTW, Angela didn't have a GP slot last year because in the 2016-2017 season she was injured and didn't compete in any GP, Challenger or ISU Championship events and so wasn't on the SB list (B events don't get on the list) and therefore not on the substitute list as well. Last season, because she was recovering from injury, she wasn't put forward by USFS for initial GP selection in the 2017-2018 season, but was given Challenger assignments. Angela did well enough at those events to get at least one GP invitation this season and is on the substitute list.

I think IDF is a better possibility because the ladies are so weak. This is the strongest line up in the GP. Both French ladies are going to finish close to the bottom regardless who they have to substitute. It’s pointless to chose someone that mate boost the ladies one place and give up precious bartering power. OTOH they have the best dance and a strong pair team. In terms of GP next year, it may be a good idea to curry favor with the weaker pair countries. Since Japan has three Japanese ladies there already, the next in line is the US.

I agree that NHK would probably take them, but they’re both already competing there already.

Russia prefers European skaters. Although, their choice Alexia, who actually lives in NYC, is a little confusing. I guess that falls under politicking again.

Canada is definitely the best spot, as they are easy to transport. But Gabby is not the best fall competitor. They will pick a softy for her. Angela would be the best pick there. Her current score summer comp score is far lower than Courtney.

Finland is also a possibility. They have nothing to lose if they chose either of them. They would probably go down the list without bias.

But again, I have serious doubts that either will get a second spot. I’m sure that Emmy will be chosen to sub if called upon.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia prefers European skaters. Although, their choice Alexia, who actually lives in NYC, is a little confusing. I guess that falls under politicking again.

Alexia may live in NYC, but she competes for Switzerland, so she is technically European.

It isn't so much politicking as it is "padding" for Russia's own skaters, such as their TBD and possibly Tsurskaya, who has a Seasons Best (SB) of 210 but sometimes has physical problems that can affect her performance.

The only skaters at Rostelecom other than Tsurskaya who have SBs over 200 are Tursynbaeva and seeds Higuchi and Zagitova.

Two skaters have SBs of 195: Matsuda and Yamashi*a
Matsuda earned her SB at 2017 Lombardia Trophy. She was 6th at Rostelecom 2016 as a GP newbie.
Yamashi*a earned hers at WJC 2018. She is a GP newbie this season.

The roster includes three more GP newbies: Eunsoo Lim, Schott, and Paganini. Lim's SB is 186, Schott's is 174 and Paganini's is 161.

US skaters Karen Chen (SB 185) and Gracie Gold are both highly unpredictable.

* I had to show her name thusly because I received a stern message that a certain 4 letter combination starting with s and ending with t is forbidden.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Alexia may live in NYC, but she competes for Switzerland, so she is technically European.

It isn't so much politicking as it is "padding" for Russia's own skaters, such as their TBD and possibly Tsurskaya, who has a PB of 210 but sometimes has physical problems that can affect her performance.

The only skaters at Rostelecom other than Tsurskaya who have PBs over 200 are Tursynbaeva and seeds Higuchi and Zagitova.

Two skaters have SBs of 195: Matsuda and Yamashi*a
Matsuda earned her SB at 2017 Lombardia Trophy. She was 6th at Rostelecom 2016 as a GP newbie.
Yamashi*a earned hers at WJC 2018. She is a GP newbie this season.

The roster includes three more GP newbies: Eunsoo Lim, Schott, and Paganini. Lim's SB is 186, Schott's is 174 and Paganini's is 161.

US skaters Karen Chen (PB 185) and Gracie Gold are both highly unpredictable.

* I had to show her name thusly because I received a stern message that a certain 4 letter combination starting with s and ending with t is forbidden.

Karen’s PB is 199 not 185