2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't know if anyone is aware of this summer comp for US and Canadian Novices:

From Skate Ontario website: http://www.skateontario.org/2018/05/...erican-series/

Skate Canada and U.S. Figure Skating will hold the 2018 North American Series for novice level athletes, in conjunction with:
Skate Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 11-15, 2018;
Lake Placid Ice Dance Competition in Lake Placid, New York, July 24-27, 2018; and
Sectional Series GTSA Summer Skate in Toronto (North York), Ontario, August 16-19, 2018

This should be a good opportunity for our Novice skaters to get some competition experience.

mrrice

Record Breaker
She may have cut her hair because of the tour, for easiness of upkeep.

Exactly......There's nothing like a crowded dressing room with limited space and mirrors to make you want to keep things basic. She can always get hair pieces or extensions if she feels like it's too short. She has time before the GP begins to grow it out if she doesn't like it.

frida80

Record Breaker
Don't know if anyone is aware of this summer comp for US and Canadian Novices:

From Skate Ontario website: http://www.skateontario.org/2018/05/...erican-series/

Skate Canada and U.S. Figure Skating will hold the 2018 North American Series for novice level athletes, in conjunction with:
Skate Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, July 11-15, 2018;
Lake Placid Ice Dance Competition in Lake Placid, New York, July 24-27, 2018; and
Sectional Series GTSA Summer Skate in Toronto (North York), Ontario, August 16-19, 2018

This should be a good opportunity for our Novice skaters to get some competition experience.

It was something USFS and the Canadian fed decided to bring back. I think it’s great.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Are Katie McBeath and Francesca Chierra still competing? I feel so awful for them ☹️☹️ Never a top 10 at nationals and they’ve been competing a long time.

I guess I ask because at US Classic in September there are usually 4 US girls and sometimes a “no name” gets a spot.

frida80

Record Breaker
Are Katie McBeath and Francesca Chierra still competing? I feel so awful for them ☹️☹️ Never a top 10 at nationals and they’ve been competing a long time.

I guess I ask because at US Classic in September there are usually 4 US girls and sometimes a “no name” gets a spot.

They're not on the international selection pool list anymore. :(

frida80

Record Breaker
I don’t understand. What does that mean?

That is the list of skaters eligible for international assignments in the next season. People earn a spot on the list by achieving high scores in the previous season. However, if your performance goes down they take you off the list. So unless they knock it out or rh park this summer, I doubt they'll be given assignments next year.

Here's the link.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84156&menu=TeamUSA

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
That is the list of skaters eligible for international assignments in the next season. People earn a spot on the list by achieving high scores in the previous season. However, if your performance goes down they take you off the list. So unless they knock it out or rh park this summer, I doubt they'll be given assignments next year.

Here's the link.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84156&menu=TeamUSA

Thanks. Very interesting.
So, we’ll be seeing other US names at the smaller international events, who are still on the ISP list. It always intrigues me which “no-name” will get the opportunity.

Maybe Amber, Caroline, Starr ??

Maybe Brynne McIsaac since she has a popular coach? RAF could help her get to US Classic?

I imagine Paige is not on the list at all.

Emmy Ma, since she has a JGP medal?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Franchesca has managed to snag low level, but still "international" assignments for the past three season. One even as a challenger series. I think she can be proud of that.

As for the ISP... skaters get added to it all season... rumor has it that there are minimum scores the skaters have to earn at domestic comps to get on it, then they are eligible for selection for the rest of the season. So never fret if your faves are missing at the start of the season.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They're actually some of my favorite US skaters. I can't put my finger on why but I just really, really like them both and have for several years.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… Maybe Brynne McIsaac since she has a popular coach? RAF could help her get to US Classic? ...

For 2017-18, Brynne's coach was Tom Z.
And TZ still is Brynne's coach, AFAIK?

Maybe you are just speculating as to what would happen if/if/if Brynne's coach were Raf instead of TZ??

(In any case, wishing Brynne a good season ahead. :yay:)

ETA (on May 21):

Brynne's Instagram today shows World Arena Ice Hall, so I continue to believe that she still is with Tom Z.
Go, Brynne. :hap85:​

So is Polina Edmonds gone? Seems like it.

Hanna said she was still skating.

My own inclination is to assume that Polina is not "gone."
Some people did not expect her to compete at 2018 Nats at all, but her SP served (IMO) as a statement that she is not "gone."
I'm sorry that pain caused her to withdraw before the FS.

So I am interested to know more about frida's post in reply to klutzy. Sorry, but I can't think of who "Hanna" is?? As someone who would have knowledge of Polina?

frida80

Record Breaker
For 2017-18, Brynne's coach was Tom Z.
And TZ still is Brynne's coach, AFAIK?

Maybe you are just speculating as to what would happen if/if/if Brynne's coach were Raf instead of TZ??

(In any case, wishing Brynne a good season ahead. :yay:)

My own inclination is to assume that Polina is not "gone."
Some people did not expect her to compete at 2018 Nats at all, but her SP served (IMO) as a statement that she is not "gone."
I'm sorry that pain caused her to withdraw before the FS.

So I am interested to know more about frida's post in reply to klutzy. Sorry, but I can't think of who "Hanna" is?? As someone who would have knowledge of Polina?

I'm following Hannah Harrel on instagram. She's doing a Q&A. Someone asked her if Polina was still skating and she answered yes. I just assumed she was talking about Polina E.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm following Hannah Harrel on instagram. She's doing a Q&A. Someone asked her if Polina was still skating and she answered yes. I just assumed she was talking about Polina E.

Thx, Frida.
Although the possibility of Hanna H. had crossed my mind, I could not think of an obvious connection btwn her and Polina E.

But figure skating is a relatively small world. Appreciate that you shared Hanna's answer.

(FWIW, Dallas FSC does have a skater named Polina Letova, whom Hanna surely knows. I previously have wondered whether Polina L is related to Coach Letov.)

frida80

Record Breaker
Thx, Frida.
Although the possibility of Hanna H. had crossed my mind, I could not think of an obvious connection btwn her and Polina E.

But figure skating is a relatively small world. Appreciate that you shared Hanna's answer.

(FWIW, Dallas FSC does have a skater named Polina Letova, whom Hanna surely knows. I previously have wondered whether Polina L is related to Coach Letov.)

That would make a lot more sense, since Polina is in California.

klutzy

On the Ice
Thanks Friday and Ice Coverage,

I know Polina E. told her school paper that she planned to focus on skating post-college, but haven't seen any sign of it since. But, then, Polina plays her cards close to her vest. I suppose it's all about those toe jumps.

Cindy1983

Rinkside
Why is everyone so negative? Being written off isn't good for results either. There needs to be positive stuff too. What needs to stop is the knee-jerk willingness to throw under the bus before they begin or the minute they fail to meet expectations.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She was gone when she joined the sorority.
(One can't serve three masters: ice skating, university, sorority.)

Add in age and injury, and...
:(

Meryl Davis was in a sorority while she was competing IIRC.

I mean, I don't necessarily think Polina is coming back. But the idea that she definitely won't because she joined a sorority and put more focus on school while recovering from a very serious injury - I don't agree with that.

I have no idea where her focus is now, but I believe she's said that while she recovering, her ice time had to be very limited. Finding something else to fill the time and keep you from pushing too hard would be a sensible thing to do.

Now all of that said, if I had to guess, I'd say she's moved on to other things. But if that's true, who knows, it could be more about the injury than the sorority.