2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

concorde

Medalist
With most coaches you pay by the hour. Some students get a dedicated time while others get a "fill in" time. I guess the question is who gets the dedicated slot and who gets the "full in" slot since there is only x number of ice time available. Do you prioritize the student who has "arrived" or the student with lots of potential but still in the middle of the journey. And as students leave, new ones come in and priorities get re-shifted.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yeah, sorry to break it to people here but according to this article released today, Adam and Raf are still going to be deciding if he's "done for good."

Quote taken from interview/article: And how about your skating future – are you considering competing again?
It’s been such a whirlwind from the Olympics that I need to sit down, I need to talk to my coach and really go over what I think is going to be the best thing for me. Once all of this settles down and I have the chance to go home and sit down with Rafael (Arutunian), I think that’s when I’ll really think about what the best option is for me.

And in reference to Mariah, when she decides to actually get decent choreo and correct her nerves and other tech issues, then she'll be set.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
C'mon---Adam is 28 and will turn 29 next season. He doesn't have a quad, and even with his great skating skills, the best he could place at the Olympics was 10th. Competition isn't going to get any easier as he gets older. If he wants to continue to skate, it's going to have to be in shows or on tours, probably in other countries.
'

Tavi...

Record Breaker
And in reference to Mariah, when she decides to actually get decent choreo and correct her nerves and other tech issues, then she'll be set.

Shouldn’t her coach should be assisting her in correcting her nerves and tech issues, and guiding her to an appropriate choreographer? Isn’t that what she’s paying him for in large part?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Mirai Nagasu :bow:, who received the Sonja Henie Award tonight from the Professional Skaters Association.

Sonja Henie Award
Presented to a female, professional skater or coach who has brought recognition to the sport in a positive and favorable manner

Previous recipients of the award include some of the most distinguished names in the history of the sport.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Shouldn’t her coach should be assisting her in correcting her nerves and tech issues, and guiding her to an appropriate choreographer? Isn’t that what she’s paying him for in large part?

Again, are we playing blame Raf for everything? She's a big girl and has been doing this long enough to ask for what she needs. It's also quite easy for the fed to get her a sports psych if she doesn't already have one and for her to inquire with other choreographers.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Again, are we playing blame Raf for everything? She's a big girl and has been doing this long enough to ask for what she needs. It's also quite easy for the fed to get her a sports psych if she doesn't already have one and for her to inquire with other choreographers.

In no way shape or form did the OP say that Raf gets blamed for everything. But Raf cannot take credit for all the good and escape responsibility for all the bad. If Mariah needs a psych, *he* can find one. He gets paid good money to determine that, no matter how big a girl Mariah is.

Unless of course the only answer to my argument would be :palmf:, :rolleye: and :sarcasm:. Which would be no answer at all.:noshake:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In no way shape or form did the OP say that Raf gets blamed for everything. But Raf cannot take credit for all the good and escape responsibility for all the bad. If Mariah needs a psych, *he* can find one. He gets paid good money to determine that, no matter how big a girl Mariah is.

Unless of course the only answer to my argument would be :palmf:, :rolleye: and :sarcasm:. Which would be no answer at all.:noshake:

The fact that many of you think the main coach is responsible for everything and making sure skaters have things done for them that they are capable of doing for themselves or the Fed is responsible for doing is very telling.

So going by that line of thinking, it would have been Kori that should have gotten her a psychologist long ago, right? :sarcasm:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kori did however get Mariah a very good choreographer...one of the best and they clicked very well IMO :dance3:

I have no idea if Mariah has ever worked with a sports psychologist or not. I’d be surprised if she hasn’t at some point though. I actually thought they got some of that at Champs camp. :confused2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I have no idea if Mariah has ever worked with a sports psychologist or not. I’d be surprised if she hasn’t at some point though. I actually thought they got some of that at Champs camp. :confused2:

Excerpt from USFS Competition Readiness Agreement for ISP skaters:

Mental Preparation. I, the skater, in an effort to further enhance my mental preparation and skills, agree to participate in at least one mental preparation session conducted by a qualified sport psychologist. This session will include an assessment of my current mental skill-set, followed by an introduction of a new mental skill that I can train at home and implement at competition. Pre-approved and pre-arranged mental preparation sessions will be available to me at Team USA Summer Camps and Champs Camp. If I elect to complete this mental preparation requirement at a location other than one of these camps, I must first obtain confirmation from U.S. Figure Skating that my sport psychologist meets the minimum qualifications to conduct such training and ensure that my sport psychologist submits a summary of completion report to fulfill this competition readiness requirement. ...

… We really have no way of knowing how much individual attention each skater gets.

... These skaters are all paying for their coaching and expect a certain amount of attention. We don't really know much more beyond that, though I'm curious as to how it all actually works in practice. Figuring out the billing for everyone sounds like a nightmare.

:agree: Strongly agree that we really have no way of knowing much.

After Mariah moved to Raf, she said repeatedly (I'm paraphrasing) that one of the advantages was the competitive environment with him.
If she continues to feel that Raf is the best coaching choice for her, great. :)

If she feels dissatisfied or shortchanged, she is free to move on. And now would be the time to do so, as the new Olympic quad gets underway.

As a fan of Mariah, I wish her the best with Raf (or without).

I knew Ting left Vincent, but for whom?

Rumor mill (aka TSL) says Raf. ...

If(???) Ting has moved to Raf, then the wording of her comment to Delmore is confusing to me?

Thank you so much for coming and choreographing 2 amazing programs for this season!! ...

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi74Qv-lAk8/?taken-by=ting_a_ding (May 18)​

I thought Delmore is based at Lakewood too?

If Ting now is with Raf at Lakewood, seems odd to thank Delmore for "coming and …"???

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I don’t think Ting is at Lakewood yet?

The rink in that photo doesn’t look like Lakewood either.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why? Do you think she has the potential to win internationally or will her reputation do her in?

I think she has a lot of potential and if it’s fully realized then yes...I think she can be a real threat internationally. Sometimes you just really click with a skater and they become one of your absolute favorites. Mariah is one of those for me :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker

“We” - actually I - am not blaming Raf for anything. I’ve never met the man, nor do I know anything about Mariah’s training. But in my experience as a performer, nerves often stem from unreliable technique - and it’s the coach’s responsibility to diagnose and make a plan for correcting technical issues.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
“We” - actually I - am not blaming Raf for anything. I’ve never met the man, nor do I know anything about Mariah’s training. But in my experience as a performer, nerves often stem from unreliable technique - and it’s the coach’s responsibility to diagnose and make a plan for correcting technical issues.

not all performance anxiety comes from unreliable technique... some can come from outside or inside pressure or both. Some coaches may suggest sports psychologists to their students but not all do and in the end, it is the performer who is responsible to participate in the therapy itself and discover new paths for programming the right mindset for performance.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
not all performance anxiety comes from unreliable technique... some can come from outside or inside pressure or both. Some coaches may suggest sports psychologists to their students but not all do and in the end, it is the performer who is responsible to participate in the therapy itself and discover new paths for programming the right mindset for performance.

I agree. I have experienced both kinds myself. That’s why I said “often.” :)

I don’t know what’s at the root of Mariah’s issues. She certainly should take initiative to see a sports psychologist if she needs one and hasn’t done so. But the idea that it’s solely her responsibility to fix major problems - as was implied in the post I originally responded to - is a bit much. As with music, you’re paying a coach for expertise and strategic guidance. It goes without saying that a coach can’t do everything, and the student has to be committed to improving.

macy

Record Breaker
Kori did however get Mariah a very good choreographer...one of the best and they clicked very well IMO :dance3:

I have no idea if Mariah has ever worked with a sports psychologist or not. I’d be surprised if she hasn’t at some point though. I actually thought they got some of that at Champs camp. :confused2:

did rohene choreograph her programs this last season? i think it would be great to see her work with shae lynn, i really don't think i've ever seen a bad program come from her. everything she's done for ashley has been beautiful.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
did rohene choreograph her programs this last season? i think it would be great to see her work with shae lynn, i really don't think i've ever seen a bad program come from her. everything she's done for ashley has been beautiful.

Rohene did not choreo new programs for Mariah last year, but she went back to Rohene’s Roxy SP from the season before after having a new SP, choreo by Philip Mills. I don’t know if she ever competed in that one.

IMO, Rohene is a perfect choreographer for Mariah’s gifts. Not everyone is a “performer”, but Mariah is, and if nothing else, Rohene knows how to showcase performers. But from all I have read and seen, skaters work best with Rohene when he comes by more often than usual to punch up, watch, change and tweak a program. I know all choreographers do that, but it is especially important to how Rohene works, and it did not appear, although I don’t know for sure, that Mariah did that with Roxy last season.

The less said about Mariah’s LP last season, the better. That was the complete opposite of a Rohene program :noshake:

I would love to see her work with Rohene again, but I have seen no indication she is doing that. Le sigh.