2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

tothepointe

On the Ice
Has Polina Edmunds made an official announcement on her plans for the future? After last season, I'm sure she must be contemplating on her career.

Well, Polina does have the advantage of not really having to make a hasty decision in order to move onto the next phase of her life as she has one year (maybe less?) of college to go and the financial support of her parents. That her mom is her coach doesn't hurt either at least so far as being able to pick up where she left off.

I can see her coming back to nationals in a year or so. She has nothing to gain by officially retiring.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well, Polina does have the advantage of not really having to make a hasty decision in order to move onto the next phase of her life as she has one year (maybe less?) of college to go and the financial support of her parents. That her mom is her coach doesn't hurt either at least so far as being able to pick up where she left off.

I can see her coming back to nationals in a year or so. She has nothing to gain by officially retiring.

Polina started college in Sept 2016, so I expect she has 2 years to go.

tomc100

Rinkside
Well that is unfortunate and explains fully the state of US ladies figure skating. If there is no return on investment and the sport is expensive then less and less Americans will enter the field where top named skaters like Michelle Kwan, Dorothy Hamill, Kristi Yamaguchi, Peggy Fleming, etc. will be a thing of the past in the US. I'm guessing the sport is more lucrative in other countries like Russia, Japan, Canada, and Korea which is why they dominate.

sunnyouyang

Rinkside
I think Ashley is still competitive among US top ladies (and seems that many thought she deserved 3rd at nationals), but I don’t know if she wants to continue competing.

As for Karen, she said in a recent Chinese news interview that it would be difficult financially for her to continue skating until 2022.

do you have a link to this interview by any chance?

tomc100

Rinkside
Well, we know what the problem with US figure skating in general is, which is MONEY. So how would they go about fixing it? If figure skating became a lucrative career again, more people would pursue it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I agree. Her days of competing for Worlds spots are probably over, but she could still strive for a top 10 finish at Nationals and have opportunities to compete in Senior B's. She looked like she was having a lot more fun performing her recent programs, so she should continue as long as she enjoys it.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wonder if Polina has taken some inspiration from Deanna Stellato... i.e. don't abuse/break your body and you can still jump in your 30s. I could see Polina making a post bachlor's comeback, and actually being successful.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I agree. Her days of competing for Worlds spots are probably over, but she could still strive for a top 10 finish at Nationals and have opportunities to compete in Senior B's. She looked like she was having a lot more fun performing her recent programs, so she should continue as long as she enjoys it.

I don't think Polina wants to just be a top 10 at nats or sr b's tho. When she was at her peak she often spoke of wanting to win worlds, and I doubt those aspirations could be replaced by a top 10 nats finish. She could have finished top 10 maybe during last years nats but she pulled out bc she couldn't do flip and lutz and knew she had no chance of PODIUM w/out those jumps. So idk if she'll come back unless she has all her tech content back.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
So it’s been confirmed that bradie is using the same choreographer she had last season?

And it hasn’t been confirmed if Karen will go to Gracie’s former coach? (Is there a reason for that? Like, he won’t accept her? Why won’t anyone agree to help her with her technique?)

Confirmed that Hicks is going to Kori Ade??

tosca

On the Ice
So it’s been confirmed that bradie is using the same choreographer she had last season?

And it hasn’t been confirmed if Karen will go to Gracie’s former coach? (Is there a reason for that? Like, he won’t accept her? Why won’t anyone agree to help her with her technique?)

sounds like someone watched theskatinglesson's last video hahaha

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Courtney Hicks in past years have spent several weeks at a time in Monument and with Kori and Rohene. It does appear from her recent posts that she is moving, though she has not yet confirmed where she is going.

concorde

Medalist
I heard a rumor that the Monument rink may be shutting down. Any one else know how true that is?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I heard a rumor that the Monument rink may be shutting down. Any one else know how true that is?

The Jason Fan Fest has talked about rumors, but there are nothing but rumors, no confirmation.

The rumors are this: Kori is leaving 7k (although they are advertising summer camps with her and she appears to be taking on skaters like Courtney, so that appears unlikely) Rohene has left 7K, the Ladrets are taking over 7k.

All just rumors and at this point I couldn't even say where they come from. (TSL? Someone's tweet? Someone making it up?). :confused2:

I know you didn't mean this, but I doubt the Monument rink itself would close. It was there before 7k and they have everyone's favorite money maker, a hockey program, so it will be there even if 7k wasn't.

Cindy1983

Rinkside

I,d love to see Bradie do a modern program. I think it'd be very effective for her and highlight her assets.

Cindy1983

Rinkside
Whoops, in my previous post, I meant to put an apostraphe, not a comma. Much of the time, I type from a Kindle and make mistakes I wouldn't normally make as a result.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker

I don’t know for sure - but I’m not under the impression that Alex Ouriashev might not accept Karen. She might still be deciding exactly what she wants - which is why we haven’t heard any specifics yet.

Have there been any coaches who wouldn’t accept her before?

mskater93

Record Breaker
It's not Karen, it's her entourage and how things went down with Avanta didn't leave the best impression on folks.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think mostly people just started discussing the idea that Karen might change rinks because her coach was changing rinks. It's a logical time for questioning an athlete's situation or for an athlete to consider his/her options; but none of the speculation I've read actually had any evidence behind it.