2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not Karen, it's her entourage and how things went down with Avanta didn't leave the best impression on folks.

I know nothing about Karen's entourage or the impression that Karen leaves on coaches or coaching staff.

"How things went down with Avanta", however, worked massively to *Avanta's* detriment. I know I would never buy a pair of skates from a company with so little understanding of public relations or common decency. :disapp: I don't care if Karen threw her skates in the river and said "Avanta bites and is solely responsible for every problem I have ever had". Avanta messed that situation up royally, and Avanta did not leave the best impression on folks.

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think Ouriashev would refuse to work with Karen; honestly, I'm sure he'd love to work with her. He doesn't really have any top-level skaters right now and having a US national champion would definitely change that. In addition, Karen has soooo much jump talent. If anyone can fix her 3-3, I bet it's Ouriashev, considering that gorgeous 3Lz-3T he was able to teach Gracie. (And if Karen did improve under Alex, it would make him a more sought-after coach as well. Win-win for everyone.)

Heck, even if Karen and/or her entourage is an OTT drama llama, Alex would still stand to gain a lot by taking her on.

I'm sure Karen is still deciding what she wants to do. She's been with Tammy for years and is probably very comfortable with her. (But IMO, Karen needed to change coaches two seasons ago.) I believe she tried out with Alex and is still figuring things out. I highly doubt he has rejected her.

I'd like to see her with Alex because I think he could really help with her URs. He's not great at packaging (which Karen also needs) but the jumps are really the top priority.

Courtney moving to Kori would be :confused: to me. I think Kori was a bit of an on-trend coach the past four years because of how successful Jason was with her, but most of her students have since left. Not to be overly negative about Kori's abilities as a coach. She's just had a LOT of students come and go over the past few years.

Ross74

Medalist
Courtney Hicks in past years have spent several weeks at a time in Monument and with Kori and Rohene. It does appear from her recent posts that she is moving, though she has not yet confirmed where she is going.

Courtney posted an IG Story today from Utah and says she's en route to Colorado. 7K's Ben Jalovick is also in the car.

ETA: At least I think it's Ben. Not 100% sure. But it is % certain she's going to Colorado.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Completely OT, but 7K male skaters are spending a lot of time in cars, Jordan Moeller was driving Tarah Kayne to or from a concert at the Air Force Academy in Tarah’s IG stories yesterday.

So it looks like Jordan and Ben are staying put, and now with Courtney :biggrin:

Ross74

Medalist
Completely OT, but 7K Male skaters are spending a lot of time in cars, Jordan Moeller was driving Tarah Kayne to or from a concert at the Air Force Academy in Tarah’s IG.

So it looks like Jordanand Ben are staying put, and now with Courtney :biggrin:

Tarah's Story with Jordan about the not Kelly Clarkson concert was hysterical! He seems like a really funny guy.

Btw I just edited my above post to say I think it's Ben driving with her. There's an earlier pic in her story that I missed before and it looks a little less like him in that pic. Though the hair line is pretty much the same. ;) I think the Utah sun or the filter is making things look weird and his hair look darker.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I know nothing about Karen's entourage or the impression that Karen leaves on coaches or coaching staff.

"How things went down with Avanta", however, worked massively to *Avanta's* detriment. I know I would never buy a pair of skates from a company with so little understanding of public relations or common decency. :disapp: I don't care if Karen threw her skates in the river and said "Avanta bites and is solely responsible for every problem I have ever had". Avanta messed that situation up royally, and Avanta did not leave the best impression on folks.

Avanta is run by only 2-3 people plus some maybe 3 workers in the workshop. They probably make only 400 pairs of boots per year max. I think it killed their mojo and the start of them trying to build their social media prescence. more than it will really affect their bottom line long term.

They do make excellent boots and they were a life saver for my feet. So as long as they provide the same quality workmanship I will stay a customer. So if people could stop wishing that this company would go out of business because they insulted their favorite skater I would appreciate it. I need them to stay in business. The upside is Karen got many free pairs of boots at a time when she desperately needed them and could not afford them. Now she has Jackson who is a company 1000x bigger and can better absorb the cost and handle any negative press.

Honestly a company that small shouldn't be sponsoring anyone.

lutzlover

On the Ice
And it hasn’t been confirmed if Karen will go to Gracie’s former coach? (Is there a reason for that? Like, he won’t accept her? Why won’t anyone agree to help her with her technique?)

From what I’ve heard, Karen’s family is trying to figure out what her living situation would be in IL

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
In regards to Avanta's mess: I don't care how big your company is you should be able to have common decency on social media and in the press. There was no reason to outwardly bash Karen or anyone for that matter if they are an elite skater or someone just coming up the ranks, if someone has an issue with your product you deal with it which doesn't include outwardly name calling and bashing that skater.

No ones telling anyone here to never wear Avanta boots, if they work for you, then good for you.

But no one needs to bash Jackson either, it's not about handling negative press, since they are such a decent company that is very good to their skaters and the public. Their social media is A+ quality. And no, it has nothing to do with them now being a larger company.

That's all I'm going to say about that. As far as others, YMMV.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
From what I’ve heard, Karen’s family is trying to figure out what her living situation would be in IL

So sounds like her moving to Alex Ouriashev could be happening - but the logistics need to be figured out.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
She is already replacing the SP Rohene did for her? :( Better now than during the season, I guess, but still.

wondering who choreographed Karen's programs that she performed at SOI - was one of them from Rohene?

figurefan0726

Final Flight
IKR about Mirai. I saw her Miss Saigon FS last season. Every competition she had: choreography changed, connections with music changed, and she even had 4-5 ending poses! I just wish she would make up her mind and skate a artistically beautiful skate.

brightphoton

Medalist
So as long as they provide the same quality workmanship I will stay a customer. So if people could stop wishing that this company would go out of business because they insulted their favorite skater I would appreciate it.

I think you know perfectly well that Avanta didn't simply "insult" Karen. They:

- made the infamous i hate uuuuu post on Instagram, which is still up
- pretended to be normal customers on Instagram, who were defending the company and poohpoohing Karan
- pretended to be normal customers on Twitter, who were defending the company and poohpoohing Karen
- went to Figure Skating Universe and made a thread detailing all the bad things that Karen and her mama did, like every time they were late to an appointment or made them work overtime