2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Avanta is run by only 2-3 people plus some maybe 3 workers in the workshop. They probably make only 400 pairs of boots per year max. I think it killed their mojo and the start of them trying to build their social media prescence. more than it will really affect their bottom line long term.

They do make excellent boots and they were a life saver for my feet. So as long as they provide the same quality workmanship I will stay a customer. So if people could stop wishing that this company would go out of business because they insulted their favorite skater I would appreciate it. I need them to stay in business. The upside is Karen got many free pairs of boots at a time when she desperately needed them and could not afford them. Now she has Jackson who is a company 1000x bigger and can better absorb the cost and handle any negative press.

Honestly a company that small shouldn't be sponsoring anyone.

If they work for you, great. As a skater who has never worn their boots, I personally would not try them. Middle aged men insulting a skater and then sock puppiting to defend themselves isn’t impressive. I don’t want anyone to lose their livelihood, but actions have consequences. It is up to each individual where they spend their money.

That’s said- I am curious to see where Karen ends up.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Avanta handled the situation with Karen extremely poorly - so if their business suffers, it’s their own fault - not because Karen fans wish this company to go out of business.

Seems like many Karen fans are hoping she moves to Alex Ouriashev.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I really enjoy the music Karen picked for her short. Now just STICK WITH IT KAREN! Looks like she has already ditched the Rohene short... oh boy.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
On another note, anyone else catch those 3-3’s Mirai was posting? Was she hinting at not retiring??

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
On another note, anyone else catch those 3-3’s Mirai was posting? Was she hinting at not retiring??

I know she had said she still loved being in the sport and didn't hint at leaving yet.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I hope Mirai continues. I would love to see what she does without the internal pressure of the Olympics. She worked really hard to get where she is- I want to see her get to enjoy it.

tothepointe

On the Ice

Yup in person the other day when she was visiting LA. She looked in decent shape. Of course, no one had the heart to tell her that (low) freestyle had ended 30min prior and it that it was a public session.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the longer Aerial Challenge post in the U.S. Men thread:

Ladies' entries for 2018 Aerial Figure Skating Challenge in alphabetical order:

Maxine Marie Bautista
Ting Cui
Hannah Harrell
Angelina Huang
Courtney Hicks
Pooja Kalyan
Ashley Lin
Alysa Liu
Audrey Shin
Emilea Zingas​

https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/917011781834588 (Jun 2)​

ETA (on Jun 15):

Belatedly occurs to me that I should have mentioned (although the FB post did not):
Winners of the Broadmoor Open jump events (junior and senior levels) also qualify for Aerial Challenge.​

I hope Mirai continues. I would love to see what she does without the internal pressure of the Olympics. She worked really hard to get where she is- I want to see her get to enjoy it.

Selfishly, I hope Mirai :luv17: will continue competing.

At the same time, I wonder whether Mirai had something specific in mind when she wrote, "... Also huge congrats to all the finalists and here’s to a beginning of a new journey for moi! ❤️"

A new journey (could she have meant something possibly unrelated to competitive skating???) also could be very exciting for her. :popcorn:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm really excited for Aerial Challenge! I might even be able to watch live if there's a youtube stream :)

I also posted this in her fanfest but I thought of 2 possible layouts for Alysa Liu. Both hinge on 3Lz-3Lo combo and 3A.

Option 1: 3A is really stable
3A-3T
3A
3F
2A-1Lo-3S
-----
3Lz-3Lo
3Lz
2A

Option 2: Good 3A but not enough to do twice, with one in combination
3A
2A
3F-1Lo-3S
2A-3T
---
3Lz-3Lo
3Lz
3F

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm really excited for Aerial Challenge! I might even be able to watch live if there's a youtube stream :) ...

I originally was trying not to copy the entire post from the other thread, but want to answer you, so here goes:

… "Livestreaming of the Aerial Challenge will begin at 12:15pm MDT on Saturday, 6/23. The Aerial Challenge is being livestreamed for free courtesy of the Broadmoor Figure Skating Club and ProEventPhoto."

To be clear: streaming only of Aerial Challenge is "for free."
Streaming of Broadmoor Open requires purchasing a pass.

Aerial Challenge is scheduled for 12:15 to 1:45 pm local time, per http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Saturday-1.pdf

New branding this year: "EDEA from Skates U.S. Aerial Figure Skating Challenge"

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I have a question about Angela Wang, Mariah Bell, and Amber Glenn:
all 3 of them have a correct lutz AND a correct flip?? All 3 of them would switch back and forth between 3lutz-3toe and 3flip-3toe. Also, Amber and Mariah have been doing both the flip and lutz in the short program, and I don’t think they got edge calls on either.

andromache

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the longer Aerial Challenge post in the U.S. Men thread:

Ladies' entries for 2018 Aerial Figure Skating Challenge in alphabetical order:

Maxine Marie Bautista
Ting Cui
Hannah Harrell
Angelina Huang
Courtney Hicks
Pooja Kalyan
Ashley Lin
Alysa Liu
Audrey Shin
Emilea Zingas​

https://www.facebook.com/AerialFigureSkatingChallenge/posts/917011781834588 (Jun 2)​

This lineup is exciting! Very excited to see our entire national junior podium compete against each other here. Wonder if Pooja will have a new 3-3?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
This lineup is exciting! Very excited to see our entire national junior podium compete against each other here. Wonder if Pooja will have a new 3-3?

I’m hoping for at least a 3F-3T from her
And a 3Lz-3T at least for Ting and a 3Lz-3Lo and 3A from Alysa
Perhaps Hanna Harrell could also go for 3Lz-3Lo or at least a double-Rippon 3Lz-3T

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Alysa Liu landed 3a-2t in the long program at a local competition, cleanly with positive GOE. In the short program she was ratified a 3a but was given -2. (Step out perhaps?). HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT[emoji322][emoji1303]!! Congrats Alysa. Big step forward for US ladies.

alexaa

Final Flight
Alysa Liu landed 3a-2t in the long program at a local competition, cleanly with positive GOE. In the short program she was ratified a 3a but was given -2. (Step out perhaps?). HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT[emoji322][emoji1303]!! Congrats Alysa. Big step forward for US ladies.

Great!!! Go Alysa!