2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 78 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

bennorii

On the Ice
I'm truly gonna be as impartial as possible because I have no opinion.
Izzo's score was 159.86, and Pooja's score was 160.60. That's literally less than 1 point of a difference. If Izzo is able to score similar to Pooja even without a 3-3, that's definitely saying something. I think Pooja was just unlucky that she ended up at Bratislava against tough competition. Now, think about Izzo's scores when she does get a 3-3... Plus, there's still Armenia, and Pooja can definitely get assigned there, but the fed might go down the "development and give international experience route," and give it to someone else we haven't seen compete yet.

truthbooth

On the Ice
I quite enjoy Gabriella Izzo's skating. I think she has potential and am glad to see she's getting more experience. She definitely needs a 3-3, though. I'm sure it's in the works.

Someone above mentioned the impact of coaches advocating for their skaters... and I definitely agree. Let's not forget who Izzo's coach is. It's Mark Mitchell. After what happened with Ross last season, he's certainly "owed" by USFSA.

macy

Record Breaker
I quite enjoy Gabriella Izzo's skating. I think she has potential and am glad to see she's getting more experience. She definitely needs a 3-3, though. I'm sure it's in the works.

Someone above mentioned the impact of coaches advocating for their skaters... and I definitely agree. Let's not forget who Izzo's coach is. It's Mark Mitchell. After what happened with Ross last season, he's certainly "owed" by USFSA.

agree about Izzo, she has a lot of potential if she gets a 3-3. Besides ting, she's my favorite of the US junior ladies at the moment.

As for the rest of your comment...not going to open that can of worms... :slink:

andromache

Record Breaker
Unless there is an obvious candidate, a lot of times this comes down to how successfully a coach manages to advocate for their skater.

Audrey has Tom Z. in her corner, right? He obviously pulls weight with USFS more than Alex O. does.

Here's hoping that Audrey is pulled and Pooja receives the spot though. Pooja's programs were pretty bad, but she has a 3-3 and seems to be relatively consistent. USFS needs to show some confidence in her.

Yes, Izzo scored close to her, but without a 3-3 at age 17 - her future potential is lower than someone like Ting, for example, and one hopes that Ting will improve in consistency the more she competes.

andromache

Record Breaker
Hanna Harrell is listed for Armenia. Gabriella is officially in the 6th JGP.

I'm happy for Hanna! I hope she's able to get enough training in to put in a good showing. I'm pretty ticked off about Pooja not getting a second spot (unless she turned it down for whatever reason).

frida80

Record Breaker
I'm happy for Hanna! I hope she's able to get enough training in to put in a good showing. I'm pretty ticked off about Pooja not getting a second spot (unless she turned it down for whatever reason).
Don't get too excited. This happened a few years ago with Vivian Le. She was Injured and a place holder for like three JGP in the hopes that she would be ready by then. If Hanna isn't ready by then, they'll probably pass it to Pooja. As for Pooja, she's probably going to be given a Challenger series. The fall competitors never are place during the second half unless USFS wants them to have a bye to nationals.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Audrey has Tom Z. in her corner, right? He obviously pulls weight with USFS more than Alex O. does. ...

Moot discussion at this point, but Audrey's primary coach is Tammy Gambill -- who is a USFS board member, if pulling weight ever were to be a factor.

(Whatever work Tom Z does with Audrey would be part of all the WASA cross-coaching.)

Speaking of the Fan Zone, they just posted all of the Novice + Junior Challenge Skate videos from US classic! They're in the On Demand section here: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Archive=52&type=Archive

Thanks for the link. :thank:

USFS YouTube channel also had/has two Rinkside Reactions videos from Challenge Skate. (IIRC [ETA: now with hyperlinks]: one with a mixture of junior ladies and men re short programs; one with junior ladies only re free skates.)

macy

Record Breaker
BRADIE TENNELL HAS ARRIVED :love::jaw:

she has improved leaps and bounds since the olympics! She skated like a US champion this week.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Well, Bradie just beat the reigning World and Olympic silver medalists. She looks strong, and her programs are a big step in the right direction compared to last year. I look forward to seeing her on the Grand Prix!

Serious question -- When's the last time an American lady won a senior international event?

mishulyia

On the Ice
Well, Bradie just beat the reigning World and Olympic silver medalists. She looks strong, and her programs are a big step in the right direction compared to last year. I look forward to seeing her on the Grand Prix!

Serious question -- When's the last time an American lady won a senior international event?

Sasha Cohen, OSM, 2006 Torino?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Congrats on the win Bradie, the field had more than a couple great skaters and she came out on top. Hope she keeps this consistency into her GPS. The tech content was UBER impressive. 3lutz-3loop AND 3lutz-3t-2t. Wow. 3t was probably UR but still so awesome imo.

3dsushi

On the Ice
Congrats Bradie! Your time has arrived. It's now your time to shine and show the world what you're capable of.

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Sasha Cohen, OSM, 2006 Torino?

No, both Ashley and Gracie won various GP medals.

rachno2

Record Breaker

Ashley won Skate America in 2016 and Mirai won ACI that same year

However (and not to mitigate those achievements), Bradie was up against some fierce competition....