Share your favourite tango programs! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Share your favourite tango programs!

JustMe

On the Ice
Without a doubt, Punsalan & Swallow's 1998 "Homage a Piazzolla". It is one my favorite programs of all times, in any discipline, and believe it to be one of the most underrated dance programs in recent memory.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Ok, so the off-season is almost over and we are going to be seeing Tango SDs soon. So I am bumping up this thread and posting some links of young Weaver/Poje performing the Argentine Tango (2008 Worlds) and Tango Romantica (2009 SC), as they are the only confirmed active team (returning at Nationals) that have competed these dances in seniors. I'm sure we will see stark improvements from them when they show their tango this season.

Eclair

Medalist
favourite ladies single tango out of all programs: undoubtedly Yuna Kim's Roxanne at 2007 Worlds SP. The maturity and complexity she skated it with was outstanding.

favorite men single tango: I'd probably say Shoma's tango performance at Worlds. I didn't like that program before but at world he hit all the notes, his movements were sharper and more precise and it was mighty good.

favorite ice dance tango: No doubt, Virtue/Moir Olympic program.

StephenGfan

Final Flight
Already posted a bunch of times (You guys have excellent taste in tango programs:thumbsup:) but to me, no one else even comes close Yuna's and V/M's tango's

mau

3Lz3Lo3Lo3Lo3Lo
On the Ice
My favorite tango program is obviously Yuna's Adios Nonino. So elegant, at the same time a heartbreaking and bittersweet ending to her amazing career. Although, I have to say that her El Tango de Roxanne program really doesn't work for me, part because of the weird editing of the music.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Grishuk and Platov OD
Punsalon and Swallow FD
Shoma Uno LP
Akiko Suzuki Libertango Ex

Then there are the rest. :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I see pattern as a separate thing. The music is tango. There's still music and choreography that each team can choose for themselves. All I am saying is - I want to see a program that is not Scent of a Woman, Piazzola, Roxanne or Jalousie; does not include red roses, fishnets, asymmetrical red or black dresses; and does not involve that stiff ballroom tango posture.

There is so much more to tango and I wish more people knew it.

I think that most of teams, to my despair, will go with cliché, predictable route for that Rhythm Dance full of obvious references that are not representing the whole culture and style of living/dancing Argentine Tango represents. There is very little amount of teams in ID that would be able to go in-depth of that style, reflect its authenticity via choreography, way of movement, entourage and interpretation - it is an effort to be made to achieve something original, true to AG aesthetic and nuanced nature, it takes a lot of work and imagination and there's 2 programs to be made, little time and often limited resources in terms of practice, dancing workshops, choreographers' time etc. I do not expect much in that department, however - I do expect at least some variety in musical choices when it comes to Tango part of that RD; the danger though is also in the complimentary rhythm/style that teams will choose to pair Tango with...

I think also that this typical, cliché picture of pair dancing Tango, with red rose in hair, over-the-top drama faces, black/red on the dress etc., gives more steadiness and comfort zone illusion for many teams (to my despair, again) - they would rather base themselves on basic research on theme than go their own route in discovery the whole style of dancing, behaving, moving in Tango/Argentine Tango, not even mentioning partnering, assistance and feeling/interpretation of music. It takes in my opinion not only a fantastic skills in general as a skater/partner, but a creative, open mind to search for some individual authenticity that would reflect in motion of both skater's skill and music/dance culture at the same time. It's just too multi-dimensional experience to be tasked out into 3 min dance, but I'd love to see more creative, riskier effort in getting to know what Argentine Tango is about behind repeated stereotypes. A girl can dream, you know;)

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
With some more polish, this could become one of my all time favourites later this season.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really don't like tangos, although some do move me, so I certainly won't be listing the usual suspects from ice dance here....

BUT

I had almost forgotten about this little gem. Skated when he was 45, as a professional. But I do believe, as the YouTube comment says, I have a dim memory of this from his earlier professional career. For those of you who don't know my avatar:

Toller's Tango

That's the name of the program, Toller's Tango:hap10: