Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Share your favourite tango programs!

1 Not allowed!
    Already posted a bunch of times (You guys have excellent taste in tango programs) but to me, no one else even comes close Yuna's and V/M's tango's

GS Supporter

2 Not allowed!
    Akiko Suzuki's Tango Jalousie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykA5yNJaBPQ

It takes a mature woman to perform tango with the perfect balance of passion and precision with a hint (only a hint) of darkness....

0 Not allowed!
    My favorite tango program is obviously Yuna's Adios Nonino. So elegant, at the same time a heartbreaking and bittersweet ending to her amazing career. Although, I have to say that her El Tango de Roxanne program really doesn't work for me, part because of the weird editing of the music.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Grishuk and Platov OD
    Punsalon and Swallow FD
    Shoma Uno LP
    Akiko Suzuki Libertango Ex

Then there are the rest.

0 Not allowed!

Bona Fide Member

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pearly View Post
    I see pattern as a separate thing. The music is tango. There's still music and choreography that each team can choose for themselves. All I am saying is - I want to see a program that is not Scent of a Woman, Piazzola, Roxanne or Jalousie; does not include red roses, fishnets, asymmetrical red or black dresses; and does not involve that stiff ballroom tango posture.

There is so much more to tango and I wish more people knew it.
    I think that most of teams, to my despair, will go with cliché, predictable route for that Rhythm Dance full of obvious references that are not representing the whole culture and style of living/dancing Argentine Tango represents. There is very little amount of teams in ID that would be able to go in-depth of that style, reflect its authenticity via choreography, way of movement, entourage and interpretation - it is an effort to be made to achieve something original, true to AG aesthetic and nuanced nature, it takes a lot of work and imagination and there's 2 programs to be made, little time and often limited resources in terms of practice, dancing workshops, choreographers' time etc. I do not expect much in that department, however - I do expect at least some variety in musical choices when it comes to Tango part of that RD; the danger though is also in the complimentary rhythm/style that teams will choose to pair Tango with...

I think also that this typical, cliché picture of pair dancing Tango, with red rose in hair, over-the-top drama faces, black/red on the dress etc., gives more steadiness and comfort zone illusion for many teams (to my despair, again) - they would rather base themselves on basic research on theme than go their own route in discovery the whole style of dancing, behaving, moving in Tango/Argentine Tango, not even mentioning partnering, assistance and feeling/interpretation of music. It takes in my opinion not only a fantastic skills in general as a skater/partner, but a creative, open mind to search for some individual authenticity that would reflect in motion of both skater's skill and music/dance culture at the same time. It's just too multi-dimensional experience to be tasked out into 3 min dance, but I'd love to see more creative, riskier effort in getting to know what Argentine Tango is about behind repeated stereotypes. A girl can dream, you know

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7