2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

Hailey Shin

Medalist
*Copy and paste my post from 2017-2018 State of S. Korean Figure Skating.

I think it's time to see which girls have the possibilities for upcoming junior grand prix to represent Korea. Who's next? :yahoo:

So I found some skaters who are very likely to fill the spots, which are 14, just like last season. So KSU decided to give it as 2 tickets for each 5 skaters, and 1 for each 4 skaters. (It means total 9 skaters got the chance for ISU jr events last season. They were all being selected at JGP selection event which usually held at late July to early August.) And I think it might be the same for this season again. So I made a list for possible 16 skaters to hop on the team.

*NOTE: I tried to write this thing as objective and gentle as I can, but maybe some of you will not fully satisfy for what I wrote about some skaters, but I do not have any mean intention to all of them so plz just see this as fun :pray:
*NOTE2: the Nationals were at early January, and the Winter Festival Competition were right after the Nationals.

First, we already have some knowned skaters who will meet their second (or third) JGP seasons. :laugh:

(1) Young You
-Born: 27. 05. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 JWC, SP FS
-She has some decent skills and presents on ice, and made some enjoyable programs. But IMO she's not the kind of very consistent skater. Maybe it was because her first season for junior, so we have to see and wait how she will do this year. I guess she will take two tickets easily.
-Expected: 2 tickets

(2) Yelim Kim
-Born: 23. 01. 2003 / 15 y.o.
-Recent Competition: Winter Festival Competition (domestic), SP FS
-She has some nice jumps, including backloading and rippon tanos. Also there are very nice flows in her jumps. She has the potential to be medaled but she did not make the results yet. It might get her back to junior competitions instead of senior challengers. She is very consistent skater esp at domestic competitions, so she may win the JGP selection event again (like last season).

(3) Hanul Kim
-Born: 11. 04. 2002 / 15 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 WC (all blocked now:sad21:, So this is her 2018 PC Olympics vids SP FS)
-She gained international popularities since she competed both Olympics and Worlds. She made decent results at Worlds this season(15th place), but unless she got invited for senior grand prix for upcoming season(and it has low chance as I know?), she may get back to juniors again. Or she can go to senior challengers, instead of JGP, and it depends on her choice. But if Hanul decides to go back to junior circuit, then she will def get two tickets here.

(4) Ji hun To
-Born: 11. 08. 2003 / 14 y.o.
-She is able to do 3Lz-3T and nice 3F-3T. Also her 2A-3T is great and her spins usually got level 4. But her main thing is def her presentation skills. She has lovely lines throughout the program(esp arms), and wonderful facial expression for her age. But she is very inconsistent skater compared to her domestic rivals, and it made her to get just one jgp ticket last season.(and she was also inconsistent there..) I hope this time she can change herself and get two tickets. Little doubt, but I know she can.
-Expected: 1-2 tickets

(5) Yunkyung Kam
-Born: 30. 04. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2017 JGP selection events (domestic)(it's almost a year ago:slink:), SP FS
-Oh my how I miss her... :sad21: She has really great jump skills and good flows, lovely and consistent 3Lz-3T, and her spins are just as great. However she had very significant injuries last season just after JGP selctions, and she just skipped the whole season. I heard that Yunkyung is now on ice for training since last month, so we will see how she can go up like last season. Miss her last season's programs(esp the beauty and the beast), so I just personally hope her to bring them again. (they are only being used once at that selection event! omg what a waste..)

(6) Hyun soo Lee
-Born: 01. 07. 2002 / 15 y.o.
-Yes you can see at her birth date, she just missed the home olympics due to one day. :p Anyway she did quite nice at last season's jgp selections and got two tickets. Maybe she can do that again? She has very nice 2A-3T, and performs it two times at her free skating. Not yet consistent 3-3 she has. She usually did one or two mistakes at her free skating. If she wants two jgp this time again, then she may not forgive any mistakes at selections.
-Expected: 1-2 tickets.

(7) Sohyun An
-Born: 28. 12. 2001 / 16 y.o.
-Like Hanul, she may not appear to jgp selections and just go for senior challengers, but if she decides to do jgp again, then she is also one of a contender for jgp tickets. She sometimes has a under-rotation problems when she jumps, but sometimes not, so we have to see. She medaled bronze at Ice Stars(challenger event) at senior ladies category last season.
-Expected: 1-2 tickets.

And there are new faces who also expected to have a chance to grab two(or one) tickets.:love:

(8) Hae in Lee (*debut season)
-Born: 16. 04. 2005 / 12 y.o.
-Recent Competition: Winter Festival Competition (domestic), SP(this is her 2018 Nationals performance, and the sound is partially mute due to youtube policy) FS
-She finally has the chance to debut as internationally. She showed quite good consistency in domestic competitions, including 3Lz-3T and 3-1-3. She recently moved to coach Chi(former coach of Dabin Choi and current coach of Eunsoo Lim and Soyoun Park), to prepare her upcoming junior season. Her jumps are already effortless and looked good, but maybe coach Chi(who can teach jumps surely) can help her jumps to be better, like Eunsoo's.

(9) Seo young Wee (*debut season) (It might be Wi instead of Wee)
-Born: 15. 03. 2005 / 13 y.o.
-She is quite consistent skater with 3Lz-3T and 2A-3T. And also very good and centered spinner, some of them reminds me of Yunkyung's. She earned Junior National title at 2018 Nationals with very big margin. She's lack of skating skills and presentation a bit, but if she continues to keep going with her consistent jumps, then she also can challenge for two spots for JGP next season.

(10) Seung been Yu (*debut season)
-Born: 07. 09. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-Very inconsistent skater so I can't predict how she will perform at jgp selections. She has 3Lz-2T (not 3T yet) and 2A-3T but they are also inconsistent. She is very elegant and artistic skater, capable of using arms and shoulders.(Loved her FS from last season, Reflection!) She is also coached by coach Chi(yes, she teaches many good talents), and this fact makes me to think about Soyoun and Seung been's similarity in some aspects..
-Expected: 0-1 ticket

And for the last, there are some other skaters who aim for 1 ticket.:biggrin:

(11) Su been Jeon
-Born: 30. 05. 2003 / 14 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals SP FS
-Decent skater with decent tecniques, even though she does not have 3-3 yet. She got 1 jgp last season and was in top 10 at that event(JGP Brisbane). Also she medaled silver at Canada Autumn classic international's junior ladies category last season.

(12) Eun bi Ko
-Born: 07. 03. 2003 / 15 y.o.
-Not a good or big jumper, but at last season's jgp selction event, she was a winner and took a ticket. As the results, she got the chance to perform at jgp Brisbane and did good there and also placed in top 10 with Su been. But she had rough time at the end of the season and totally ruined 2018 (senior) Nationals short program and couldn't advance to the free. Also shown a bad performance at Winter Festival Comp. Could she revenge and soar again?

(13) So eun Choi
-Born: 11. 05. 2004 / 13 y.o.
-She has quite good consistency at her jumps throughout the programs. Performance-wise, also not bad. She needs clean programs at selction events to get a ticket for the upcoming jgp.

(14) Hyun soo Choi
-Born: 16. 12. 2003 / 14 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals, SP FS
-No 3-3, but nice performer on ice. She is a small skater but she has various personalities on ice. Sometimes she is so cute and lovely and sometimes she is very charismatic.

(15) Bo young Kim
-Born: 02. 10. 2002 / 15 y.o.
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals, but she did not advanced free skating there, so this is 2017 Ranking Competitions' vids a month before Nationals. SP FS
-She bombed at last season's jgp selections. That might be the hardest moment to her... and broken heart. She can jump quite big 3S-3T. (and it gets consistent)

(16) Chae eun Noh
-Born: ?. ?. 2004
-Recent Competition: 2018 Nationals, SP FS
-She can jump consistent 3T-3T, but weakness was 3F as I remember? (okay it maybe 3Lz, I forgot..) She just missed a jgp ticket last season, but I hope she can grab it this time. Last season she medaled bronze at Asian Trophy Ad.Novice category with Alysa Liu(silver).

There will be more skaters to compete at JGP selections this summer, but I will end this post here :cool: I hope my analyzation can help you to enjoy the upcoming JGP selections:p

Izabela

On the Ice
Again, thanks Hailey for compiling these! I just got to go out here and say I miss Yunkyung Kam too. I like both of her programs, especially the short, and would love to see her skate more. She has really good flow and has good arm movements to accentuate the music (I love that all of them sort of graduated from the Yuna school of figure skating :laugh:). If improved she could be so enjoyable to watch. Her 3Lz-3T also has good distance!

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Again, thanks Hailey for compiling these! I just got to go out here and say I miss Yunkyung Kam too. I like both of her programs, especially the short, and would love to see her skate more. She has really good flow and has good arm movements to accentuate the music (I love that all of them sort of graduated from the Yuna school of figure skating :laugh:). If improved she could be so enjoyable to watch. Her 4Lz-3T also has good distance!

wow can she do 4Lz!? (haha :laugh: ofc I know it's mistake though..)
I was really happy when I heard that she's back to ice again...
And I really really hope she can back to good shape again and get two for upcoming jgp!!:pray:

Izabela

On the Ice
wow can she do 4Lz!? (haha :laugh: ofc I know it's mistake though..)
I was really happy when I heard that she's back to ice again...
And I really really hope she can back to good shape again and get two for upcoming jgp!!:pray:

The quad fever in ladies fs runs high in me is all :laugh:

Also, I don’t think Hanul will or should go back to the junior circuit. She has her best short in Worlds and IMO should stay in that level. She (plus Eunsoo) could really push the depth in the ladies senior also to help push each other competitively (even though we may collectively gasp because of limited spots/tickets they have to fight for). Can KSU control whether skaters should compete in senior or junior?

Hailey Shin

Medalist
The quad fever in ladies fs runs high in me is all :laugh:

Also, I don’t think Hanul will or should go back to the junior circuit. She has her best short in Worlds and IMO should stay in that level. She (plus Eunsoo) could really push the depth in the ladies senior also to help push each other competitively (even though we may collectively gasp because of limited spots/tickets they have to fight for). Can KSU control whether skaters should compete in senior or junior?

Hmm I don't think so. Ofc they can suggest skaters to compete senior or junior internationally, but the final choice depends on skaters themselves. If they want to do JGP, then they have to show up at JGP selection events. If they want to skip JGP and focus on senior challegers, then they can.

Some nationals top skaters can get financial supports from KSU when they decide to go to challengers. In case of Hanul, she was not that good enough at Nationals so it is questionable if she can get supports from fed when she decides to do challengers. If not, then she may choose JGP instead of challengers, but I think Hanul will go to challengers with her own finance also in this case? (if she wants to do so):scratch2:

Miller

Final Flight
Hmm I don't think so. Ofc they can suggest skaters to compete senior or junior internationally, but the final choice depends on skaters themselves. If they want to do JGP, then they have to show up at JGP selection events. If they want to skip JGP and focus on senior challegers, then they can.

Some nationals top skaters can get financial supports from KSU when they decide to go to challengers. In case of Hanul, she was not that good enough at Nationals so it is questionable if she can get supports from fed when she decides to do challengers. If not, then she may choose JGP instead of challengers, but I think Hanul will go to challengers with her own finance also in this case? (if she wants to do so):scratch2:

By my calculations Hanul should be good for a Senior GP spot. If you go down the invitations in Seasons Best order (this is a pretty good approximation to the truth), then she's just inside the cut-off point - Yelim and Sohyun aren't far away either - they would be on the Alternates list, but you can't do Senior and Junior GPs in the same season, and would they be ready for Senior GPs? However IMO Hanul would be (she made quite a splash at the Worlds and Olympics) and I think any GP would be happy to have her, she just needs to get the KSU to back her, which could be quite important anyway. Worlds was a disaster, with losing the 2nd spot just as the great wave of Korean juniors is ready to hit seniors, plus there should only be Dabin and Eunsoo on Senior GPs this season (I get 2 spots for Dabin and 1 for Eunsoo), so having a 3rd lady/4th spot would be very useful for reminding everyone how strong Korean ladies skating is likely to be in future years.

skatenewbie

Medalist
is Eunsoo confirmed going senior? also i think Hanul will get GP and not going back to JGP, not fully sure though. When JGP selection start? in July?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
is Eunsoo confirmed going senior? also i think Hanul will get GP and not going back to JGP, not fully sure though. When JGP selection start? in July?

in my world, I say yes to Eunsoo going to seniors :dance2::dev2::devil: but like Hailey said...it all depends on her :think::giveup:

Other than Worlds spot being the biggest obstacle ( plus the major pressure), she can set herself as the top SK skater even with 1 GP and some CS events

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
also a sad question to ask:

is there any confirmed retirements from any national team members?

Hailey Shin

Medalist

usually late July to early August.
I think yes she will, but we have to wait for GP assignment and then JGP selections' entries up.

also a sad question to ask:

is there any confirmed retirements from any national team members?

Happily, no for ladies;)
Soyoun said she is now considering her new season's programs in her instagram live, so she will not.
Nahyun, (although she is not national team member now:sad21:) said nothing about it but she keep participating the domestic competitions so maybe not. (she participated today's Segmentation Competition in University ladies segment and won there.)

Haejin Kim already retired at last nationals and she said she will become a university student and also a choreographer. She also was a MBC's commentator for PC olympics figure skating.

June hyoung, he said he will keep up the work and challenge for 2022 Beijing in his interview after the Nationals. :thumbsup:

Jinseo said he wants to retire(after the Nationals), but he did participate the 2018 worlds, so maybe he changed his mind?? But we have to see if he will retire now or do a couple of seasons and retire..

Also Dabin said she want to compete by easy stages from next season in her recent interview right after the olympics, but I wouldn't take this as a retirement. I take this as she will cut off some international b events and get more focus on important events?

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I applaud to Junehyoung for still trying. I have nothing but sympathy for him with all how his season went. With Cha now around in seniors, I think he would be pumped up more than ever to fight for a Beijing OG berth.

I feel sad for Jinseo. Back injuries sucks and it's a pity that his progress for these 4 years was marred by it. I wish him the best regardless to what decision he chooses.

AND YAY to Dabin and Soyoun for staying! I have a feeling Soyoun may retire before Beijing due to the bb trifecta's entry to the senior division. However, I hope she takes her time to heal and strengthen herself. This OG season has been tough to watch because we all know that she hasn't recovered properly. :sad21: I share the same sentiment towards Dabin too. Dabin has found her concept so I just hope she works on her presentation side.

ALSO, Someone pls sponsor Dabin with a new pair of fitting boots. Kthnx bye.

skatespin

On the Ice
Is that the brand Da Bin was using? That’s what Karen Chen uses and she is always claiming to have issues.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
No, I have no idea what Dabin uses. I was just joking that if she needs a boot sponsor, they're not the ones to go with. For the reasons that Karen's run into :)

Izabela

On the Ice
in my world, I say yes to Eunsoo going to seniors :dance2::dev2::devil: but like Hailey said...it all depends on her :think::giveup:

Other than Worlds spot being the biggest obstacle ( plus the major pressure), she can set herself as the top SK skater even with 1 GP and some CS events

Hopefully Eunsoo goes senior! And maybe her collaboration with Buttle will be for her senior debut.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If Korea really want another Yuna Kim soon they should should send Eunsoo to a famous North American coach (hum hum Orser). That will hype her furiously.

Kara

Final Flight
My hopes and dreams are Eunsoo training abroad.😭😭 I'll be super sad if the Jeff program end up being an EX or an LP too.

Super random, but I recently saw pics of Sunghoon and man he is like the definition of good looking guy for me.:drama: 15 tho. I love his spread eagles so I hope he finds consistency this season!

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Segmentation Competition

The new vids from skaters who I mentioned to have possibilities for upcoming JGPs. These has taken at the day before yesterday(sp) and yesterday(fs) at Segmentation competition which held in Taereung ice rink, Seoul.
*most knowned skaters from National teams didn't compete here. (only Yujin Choi competed from National teams)

-Hae in Lee SP FS
Very impressive fs she showed yesterday. :thumbsup: Nice 3Lz-3T at opening, but she couldn't add single loop and 3S at her 2A at the beginning of her program. Then she added them at her last 2A! (which was the very last jump of the program) And they were very clean. What a talent. Hope to see her in upcoming JGP, and hopely see twice. Also she brought new season's sp.
-Seo young Wi SP FS
She didn't put 3T to her sp's 3F, and got low score at sp. She revenged it at free program, and did very well include very nice 2A-3T at the beginning. Even though she fell once at her 3lutz.
-Bo young Kim SP FS
What a surprise. Very nice 3S-3T at both of her sp and fs here. Also very nice ice coverage and good choreo. Hope she can grab her consistency also in JGP selctions and get a ticket!!
-Hyun soo Lee SP FS
She tried 3Lz-3T at her free, and didn't jump all around. And made many mistakes over here and there, but it's her usual things, so.:(
-Su been Jeon SP FS
Also tried 3Lz-3T at her free, and did very well! And she bombed almost every other things.... But she is usually consistent jumper, so that will be the question. Can she grab all?:scratch2:
-Seung been Yu SP FS
Made many mistakes, as usual. I think she tried to do 2A-3T at free skating, but fell on 2A. If she does like this at selections, then there will be no JGP for her. :sad21: Still good programs though.
-So eun Choi SP FS
Tried 2A-3T at free. Not fined yet.
-Hyun soo Choi SP FS
Also tried 2A-3T at free. Also not fined yet, but impressive free program she has.
-Eun bi Ko SP FS
Brought 3F-3T in her both sp and fs and landed, but both seemed underrotated or even downgraded. But she cleaned other jumps as well as she can.
-Sohyun An SP FS
She didn't do well here. Seems like she lose her confident after she failed to be on the olympic teams and also National teams for 18-19 season. Didn't put 3T to first 3Lo, and fell many times..:palmf:

-Yujin Choi SP FS
(I forgot her becuz she is little bit old to go to JGP. She is 17. She may go to challenger just as other senior skaters, or she also can participate JGP selections and go to JGP. I think she has high chance to get ticket if she goes for JGP.) She did try 3F-3T here at her sp, she needs to be more polished to be sure but still overall good skater.;)

*Special mention*
I was very impressed by this program:love:, even though she is not age-eligible for next JGP yet! (and even for the 19-20 season.... OMG) She grew up a lot though, compare to the last season.
Ji won Mo's new short program, Musical Rebeca Korean ver. ost.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
If Korea really want another Yuna Kim soon they should should send Eunsoo to a famous North American coach (hum hum Orser). That will hype her furiously.

I want her to train in Patrick's skating school.
:laugh::dance2:
(for real though)

Anyway, I have a feeling that You Young is gunning for that TCC spot. Her rapport with Ghrislain (despite of how short it was) is a great indicator of why.