2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Thanks for your elaborate answer, that sort of proves my thoughts and suspicions. Glad to learn the skaters living abroad have some familiar living with them and have a pet to cuddle and cry into. Of course, there are the daily Skype calls etc.

Short track skating teams are run by bookmakers I've read, i.e. people gamble on the matches. That sort of corrupts the short track skaters I think and by proxy the federation governing them.
My country, NED, is doing OK in short track, and I've seen a lot of coverage. KOR skaters have different tactic from ours, always lurking for their chance.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if KSU is involved with bookmakers, huge sports like baseball and football (=soccer, for you US people) have been scandalized by rigged matches already, then why not short track? And I don't really follow short track aside from Worlds and Olympics, but I generally say this: when an athlete from Korea is good, it's because they're ridiculously talented, not because there's a good environment here. Exception: archery, the Korean Archery Association is awesome in it's integrity and transparency. But the athletes are awesome too. But this is off-topic.

When foreign people are like :confused: over Korean skaters, I sigh internally because the whole situation is a mess and it takes much explanation. But I also kinda envy them, that means they don't have these problems our skaters suffer through. I wish I loved other countries' skaters more than ours, but like the Queen did, amazing talents just spring up from nowhere somehow and make me fall in love with them... (sigh)

seabm7

Final Flight

Casual

On the Ice
Ichatdelune;2373427- said:
You can't train in only Korea to reach your full potential, the environment and everything are insufficient. Eunsoo chose to move to California because for her talent to bloom she needed better.

I wonder why did she chose California instead of going to Orser? Is it because Orser didn't want to train two Korean skaters?

okokok1777

Rinkside
I wonder why did she chose California instead of going to Orser? Is it because Orser didn't want to train two Korean skaters?

This is all speculation, but I think there are two reasons for this:

1. Orser had originally planned to take on Evgenia, Boyang Jin (which didn't work out) and Jason Brown. He also has Yuzu, Jun and Gabby in seniors. They probably didn't have enough space to take on another elite student.

2. Eunsoo is represented by All That Sports - a sports agency that was founded Yuna Kim and her mother Mi-hee Park. Orser had a very public split from Yuna in 2010 and there was a lot of tension between Orser and her mother. Jun is represented by a different sports agency. If I were Orser, I would be wary of accepting a student represented by ATS.

believed

On the Ice

I don’t know if it’s as simple as that — though none of us know the actual answer, I suppose — but iirc, Orser had room for two new students after the Olumpics, which went to Evgenia and Boyang (the latter of which didn’t come into fruition). Maybe he didn’t want to, maybe her team didn’t approach him, maybe the idea didn’t work out on either end.

Edit: oops okokok1777 beat me to it!

skaterr

On the Ice
2. Eunsoo is represented by All That Sports - a sports agency that was founded Yuna Kim and her mother Mi-hee Park. Orser had a very public split from Yuna in 2010 and there was a lot of tension between Orser and her mother. Jun is represented by a different sports agency. If I were Orser, I would be wary of accepting a student represented by ATS.

You Young trained at Cricket when she was at ATS. Wrong Info. Many skaters at ATS went to Cricket to train in short term.

Casual

On the Ice
I thought it could be more cynical than that - since skaters from small feds require more promoting from their coaches (because they don't enjoy a powerful-federation-bonus), in order to get respect they deserve from biased judges, a coach might need to choose wisely just how many skaters he can take from smaller feds, if he wants them to win.

After all, it's not enough to skate brilliantly - in order to win, skaters need to have a powerful fed and an influential coach behind them, too.

Plisskin

Medalist
This is all speculation, but I think there are two reasons for this:

1. Orser had originally planned to take on Evgenia, Boyang Jin (which didn't work out) and Jason Brown. He also has Yuzu, Jun and Gabby in seniors. They probably didn't have enough space to take on another elite student.

Yeah...I remember ATS drumming up media controversy in the past with Yuna and other athletes they've represented too. I wouldn't blame him for being wary.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Well y'all the National Championships (edit: *Not Nats*, for explanations see above) happened, for the ladies notable entries include Dabin, Haneul, Seoyoung, Jihun, and Seoyeon. Both Haneul and Jihun are having problems with their -3Ts on their lutzes, and I'm a bit worried about Haneul's condition (she seemed tentative, maybe whatever happened at Nats is still bothering her) so I'm hoping that she heals and rests during the off-season. Dabin still hasn't regained her 3Lz-3T yet (she jumped 3Lz-2T for both her short and her free) and her spins are laboured, but she is definitely looking better than at the Winter Sports Festival, she's coming back step by step. I'm very proud to say Seoyoung is rotating her -3Ts and showing improvement in the interpretation department :luv17:, and of course Biellmann spins to die for as usual. Seoyeon was a bit unsteady with the jumps but her liveliness did not falter from that, she's a great addition to our team of junior ladies and I'm anticipating what she'll bring for the JGP qualifiers.

But actually I came to post because, well, my second charming M. Cha, Younghyun, did a 3F-3Lo :eeking: Never mind the spinout, it was fully rotated!! It's not big, sure, but Younghyun is continuing the tradition of Cha men being charming and consistent, he's added another one to his arsenal in his challenge to the No.2 spot. It's his once he gets a 3A, but tbh it's kinda halfway his already because the men who do have 3As are very, very inconsistent with them. And with the other jumps. (sigh) Which brings me to the topic of Sunghoon.

I was like :jaw: :shocked: when he did land his 3A at Nats (dinged, but whatever), but well Sihyeong also landed one at 4CC but failed to qualify for the free at JW. And here he fell on it in his short and popped it in his free. Oh Sunghoon, I still adore you and your SS, but to both grow like a bamboo sprout and keep your consistency you have to be Cha Junhwan (deep sigh) He's still going to get JGPs because there's 5 spots to fill and you can count the number of age-eligible men with your fingers, let alone internationally competitive ones. Which reminds me, you cannot keep on using warhorses anymore Sunghoon. Keeping your Your Song short is one thing, using that AND POTO as your free is another... (sigh) Coach Chi, if you're not over your musical craze yet you can just watch the RD when next season starts, Haein's Never Enough was lovely but she was the only exception. I mean, Moulin Rouge, POTO, The Greatest Showman, WSS, and this is TWO of your students' programs. We love you and all, but please, fresh music is very much needed. (... Damn Team Korea had a (bleep)ing lot of musical programs this season)

My rants are finished, if you followed along this far I tip my imaginary hat to you. Now you can go watch M. Younghyun D'Artagnan and everyone else. All the skaters' videos can be found on JewelSkaterCross's, HeeYuHee's, or Icescape Rasu's channels, :bow: to them.

Younghyun's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwRy7jb-BZg

Seoyoung's SP (sound sync is off because copyright): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FXmSy6cQ-c
Seoyoung's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3dt4u90tx4

Dabin's SP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r80FywylZlE
Dabin's FS : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tOtOrX2rg

Haneul's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ6Rl3F9UkE
Haneul's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYeCHmorzs

Jihun's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkyUw8qoAeA
Jihun's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0MIeD32wHc

Seoyeon's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFbfGOaPZBk
Seoyeon's FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6QmrrXdE6w

And if you happen to be looking for a cactus who is half bamboo to grow in your heart, go watch Sunghoon. SP FS

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Well y'all the National Championships happened, for the ladies notable entries include Dabin, Haneul, Seoyoung, Jihun, and Seoyeon.

Thank you for the updates! But I'm confused...wasn't there a National Championships already? In addition to the ranking competition? Is this a third nationwide competition? What is the KSU smoking?

seabm7

Final Flight
Well y'all the National Championships happened, for the ladies notable entries include Dabin, Haneul, Seoyoung, Jihun, and Seoyeon.

Thank you for the updates! But I'm confused...wasn't there a National Championships already? In addition to the ranking competition? Is this a third nationwide competition? What is the KSU smoking?

This competition is not a National Championships in the usual sense, though it is an official, regular event organized by KSU. The title of the competition is not easy to translate. Skaters participate in age groups, so it does not align well with the simple senior/junior division.

Most of elite skaters skip this competition, since it happens at the end of a competition season. The result of the competition can be used to determine oversea B class competition tickets, but this rarely happens. The priority is very low.

Sometimes skaters use this event to showcase next season's programs.

ETD: The title of the competition can be translated as

Korea National Classified Championships

"Classified" means skaters compete in the category of age as well as junior/senior.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea

seamb7 already explained this way better, but just to clarify: there are three national-scale competitions organized by the KSU, the ranking comp, Nats, and, well, this. It's technically the 'National Championships' hence my usage of the term (I call the 'real' National Championships Nats to distinguish the two of them), but this is of a smaller scale and way less importance than Nats. It's supposed to be used for getting tickets for Challengers and Senior Bs, but in reality the top tier skaters have the priority so it's kinda meaningless in that direction. I was surprised to see that Younghyun had competed (he got bronze at the ranking comp and all), come to think of it he probably did it to test his new 3F-3Lo out. As for what the KSU is smoking, I'd say stupidity gas.

Edit: Since you learned some Korean maybe you could get this translation mess. See, Nats is 종합선수권, and this one is 종별선수권. The 선수권 part is the 'Championships', the problem lies with differentiating 종합 and 종별. 종합 literally means 'overall', it's used because the division is only between group A/B (basically seniors/juniors) regardless of age. 종별 means 'classified' or 'by class', as in the skaters are divided according to age as well as seniors/juniors, aka classified. Since this (and the ranking comp as well) exists just because the KSU is moronic and refuses to update the obsolete structure, it gets damn hard to translate names to properly convey the differences.

Kinda off-topic, but to show how the KSU does names for competitions: Nats for short track is called 종합선수권 겸 2차 국가대표 선발대회 (shortened), 'National Championships as 2nd Stage of National Team Qualifiers' :palmf: As you can see, KSU is imbecilic all the way through.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yelim is still on the top 24 SB list. She is getting a guaranteed GP next season. I am happy!:luv17:.