2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

s_parks

Record Breaker
Junhwan got a silver at Finlandia, but he managed to break my heart not once, not twice, but three times. I hope this was all the falls he was supposed to suffer from this season, and now his GP skates can't have any...

We can now confirm jun hwan is human. :laugh: But seriously, it's only a challenger and there were barely 2 weeks between autumn classic and this event. At least we know he's not peaking early. :p

leoleo

Medalist
Jun was really good at ACI, so i know he can do it! Finlandia was not his best but at least we know he can do better! that butt spin had me cackling :laugh2: I'm worried about his GP assignments tho, they're back to back and he might not have time to rest between the two competitions.

Kara

Final Flight
He’s actually endeared myself to me even more with the last spin.😂😂 I didn’t know I could love him even more. I know it must be frustrating as hell, but I know he’ll turn that frustration into power for the GP!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a wee question.

Does anybody know the dates of Nationals?

I am currently putting together the draft calendar for the Predictions Game, and would like to include the South Korean Championships again this season. But, I don't know when they are!

So, if anybody could let me know, it would be much appreciated.

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Just a wee question.

Does anybody know the dates of Nationals?

I am currently putting together the draft calendar for the Predictions Game, and would like to include the South Korean Championships again this season. But, I don't know when they are!

So, if anybody could let me know, it would be much appreciated.

CaroLiza_fan

2019.01.11 - 13, according to the annual plan sheet from KSU.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
2019.01.11 - 13, according to the annual plan sheet from KSU.

Thank you so much, Ichatdelune.

So, the week before Canadian Nationals and Europeans. Those dates are going to work out very nicely. I was worried that there was going to be a clash with something.

Thank you again :thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
why do i still hear this "little kim yuna" title? please stop it already! let the girls do well on their own without the pressure of doing as well as Yuna

Because our media wants a second miracle. :palmf: With non-mainstream sports our media always mega-hypes the athletes who break out into the international scene (rhythmic gymnastics, tennis, etc), and figure skaters have it the worst because the Queen was, well, the Queen. I hate our media at times like this...

Fluture

Record Breaker
sorry for the double post but they reported about Haein and Yelim's medals on korean tv too :agree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpHjMBP0HU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUCcjGt4XY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlk-yLvmNNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34lRhkUhHPs

also why do i still hear this "little kim yuna" title? please stop it already! let the girls do well on their own without the pressure of doing as well as Yuna

I‘m very happy for Yelim and Haein! Especially Haein, it was so close in Linz and I really wanted her to medal and now she did! Great for her. But congrats to Yelim, too, for making it to the final, that‘s a big accomplishment! I really hope to see both these girls at the Junior Worlds. Let‘s see...

Btw, I also don‘t get this “little Yuna“ thing. It‘s the same in Italy, people constantly want to compare young Italian skaters to Carolina Kostner. Personally, I hate this. Let them be who they are, there is no need for a second Yuna or a second Caro because there‘ll always be just one of them, nobody can replace them. And they shouldn‘t be asked to. You can‘t make history while trying to copy someone! It‘s good that Yuna is such an idol and inspiration for those girls but this is going too far. Sorry. :noshake:

frida80

Record Breaker
Here's the video of you young's fs at that competition in the US
she did the 3A although it was ur and she did lean on the landing
it seems like she's struggling with stamina tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJFOIuk0lXw&feature=youtu.be

I liked this a lot more than her My Fair Lady FS. She’s a lot more confident and her landings look cleaner than Bratislava. I wouldn’t have called the second Lutz but the first was close. I think the hook on the axel affected her combo. And that Salchow stumble looked awful. Such a freak accident. But I’d say this is a step in the right direction.

s_parks

Record Breaker
The yuna comparisons won't stop until another korean skater can come close to, meet, or exceed her career accomplishments. Or korea starts churning out world medalists/title contenders on a regular-ish basis.
The pressure is going to build like crazy for junhwan if he keeps winning medals and skating consistently, especially at big events. Thank goodness he's training in Canada to get away from the nonsense.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The yuna comparisons won't stop until another korean skater can come close to, meet, or exceed her career accomplishments. Or korea starts churning out world medalists/title contenders on a regular-ish basis.
The pressure is going to build like crazy for junhwan if he keeps winning medals and skating consistently, especially at big events. Thank goodness he's training in Canada to get away from the nonsense.

This. So this. Just after reading this I realized that Archery is one of the few sports where individual athletes don't get hyped by the media, and that's because our archers are always freakishly good and it's a surprise when they don't win an event. So, either we somehow become like Russia and churn out World/Olympic medal contenders every day or somehow, somehow a second miracle strikes and someone who exceeds the Queen's career arises, or else every skater is going to be bombarded with "new Yuna" pressure every time they do well. And to think of it, in the latter case even more pressure will be put on for the upcoming skaters to be the "new XXX". Ugh, what is wrong with our media?!! :palmf:

I was frowning when they started calling Junhwan the "male Yuna", and I'm actually relieved that he's not getting that much attention for his medals. (Or at least, the "male Yuna" thing has stopped. He's still the "star of male singles"...) I'm also worried that the media will start hyping him up when he wins something big, thank goodness for his calm mindset (I still remember the interview he did, a reporter asked what it was like to be called the "male Yuna" and he responded that he wanted to be Cha Junhwan, not a male Kim Yuna. Bless him.) and his training being at Toronto.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
X-posting from the GP assignments thread

Dabin's name is crossed out from both of her GP assignment.
I can reason it as taking a break for knowing what happened in her personal life last year. Best to take a break to sort out emotional needs and support. Wishing her the best.

OTOH, I do hope this means Eunsoo has a higher chance of getting a 2nd GP

I was frowning when they started calling Junhwan the "male Yuna", and I'm actually relieved that he's not getting that much attention for his medals. (Or at least, the "male Yuna" thing has stopped. He's still the "star of male singles"...) I'm also worried that the media will start hyping him up when he wins something big, thank goodness for his calm mindset (I still remember the interview he did, a reporter asked what it was like to be called the "male Yuna" and he responded that he wanted to be Cha Junhwan, not a male Kim Yuna. Bless him.) and his training being at Toronto.

LOL. There's nothing of Yuna in his skating, either, the more I watch.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
X-posting from the GP assignments thread

Dabin's name is crossed out from both of her GP assignment.
I can reason it as taking a break for knowing what happened in her personal life last year. Best to take a break to sort out emotional needs and support. Wishing her the best.

OTOH, I do hope this means Eunsoo has a higher chance of getting a 2nd GP

I'm torn here, while I'm sad I won't get to see Dabin at GP, I do want Eunsoo to get her second spot and this means she'll likely get one of Dabin's...

All I can do is wish Dabin the best and hope for darling squirtle, I guess. My head's a mess :sad46:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
LOL. There's nothing of Yuna in his skating, either, the more I watch.

It doesn't matter whether his skating is like the Queen's or not, good results=Kim Yuna is the thought process of the media :palmf:

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm gonna rage hard if Eunsoo doesn't get her second GP spot... also, come back Dabin, I miss you!!

leoleo

Medalist
I can really see Wi Seoyeong becoming a big threat for next year's JGP.
Idk what's going on for Dabin but it isn't looking good at all :sad4: