2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I can really see Wi Seoyeong becoming a big threat for next year's JGP.
Idk what's going on for Dabin but it isn't looking good at all :sad4:

yeah, was really surprised when i saw her at her 1st JGP event with 40+ TES at SP, she has so much promise, cant wait to see her grow performance wise too, along with Haein (which was one of the biggest pleasant surprises og JGP) and hopefully healthy Yunkyung i am very excited for Korean girls next season :luv17: speaking of Yunkyung, any news on her condition? :sad21:

breadstal

Record Breaker
Four medals for S. Korea in Junior Grand Prix Series, Yelim earned two silvers (JGP Lithuania and JGP Czech), Haein got bronze at JGP Slovenia and Young also bronze at JGP Slovakia! :) Other good results are Haein placing 4th at JGP Austria, Young placing 4th at JGP Canada, Seoyeong placing 4th at JGP Czech and JGP Armenia, Jihun placing 5th at JGP Canada. Geonhyeong An was 5th at JGP Lithuania. Also speaking about JGP top scores; Yelim holds 4th highest total score, 5th highest short score and 4th highest free score. Seoyeong holds 10th highest SP score and Young holds 10th highest total score. We will see Yelim at JGPF, Young is 2nd alternate. Yelim is also only non-Russian to place higher than third this season :laugh: So basically, Yelim is killing it and we've got two amazing debutants that hopefully will make even bigger splash next season! I am a bit sad about Young because I thought she will be the one competing with Russian girls since we saw her training her 3A (I love Yelim ofc but I didn't expect her to come out like that). I hope she will show her everything at Worlds :pray:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
It's been a couple years of the Korean junior ladies having the goods, yet needing to learn the ropes and prove themselves; but by golly, these athletes are rolling now. It's especially telling with Haein and Seoyeong doing so well right out of the box. Their peers have broken the ground and the scores are coming faster. I'm so especially proud of Yelim. She has been my favorite over the past three years, and just when I was becoming really worried for her after placing third at the ranking event, she lays it all down on international ground in the free at her first JGP and now has become the first of her peers to earn a berth at the JGPF. I am just thrilled for her, as I know what a tough battle she has ahead of her with Eunsoo and Young as they all head into seniors. (And I hope with Dabin also).

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, all the young Koreans, girls and boys alike, are coming out with lovely skates and pretty great costumes (the ladies mostly, lol). Even if they aren't always medalling or perfect yet, I'm in awe of the talent in juniors... and I'm sure it'll be their year in a couple of seasons!! Very exciting to watch. Maybe we'll have a Korean-heavy JGPF someday :agree:

leoleo

Medalist
How many spots does Korea have for JWC this season? i feel like i'm gonna be heartbroken no matter who is chosen to go, seeing as i have many favorites

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
How many spots does Korea have for JWC this season? i feel like i'm gonna be heartbroken no matter who is chosen to go, seeing as i have many favorites

Two. (5th & 9th at last year's Junior Worlds so just missed the 13 points for three spots at Junior Worlds by one placement).

And only one at Senior Worlds:(.

There are three spots at 4CCs, though:).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
South Korea looks like they might contend in the team trophy especially in light of Canada's issues (Retirements, splits, sitting out season, none of the top three ladies are skating or ready to skate, top dance team retired, second is sitting out the Grand Prix, world champions Chan and Duhamel and Radford retired. Second and third best pairs split or retired, South Korea has skaters in all discipline who are challenging top ten or higher. And some look like future world medallists. Maybe very soon. Their ladies are the school of Yuna Kim - beauty, grace and smooth difficult jumps. They keep getting stronger in dance and pairs. It is interesting their rise in world economy is now mirrored in skating. Such talented skaters.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
South Korea has skaters in all discipline who are challenging top ten or higher. And some look like future world medallists.

??? North Korea has a pair team that is challenging top ten. Does South Korea have a pair team right now at all? (I have not been watching the junior pairs, but I do know only Russia and one U.S. team medaled).

And Min & Gamelin have split in dance. Min & Eaton have announced a new partnership, but it is much too early at this point to know where they will fit into the international mix or even how the partnership will work out long term.

kimi492

Final Flight
South Korea looks like they might contend in the team trophy especially in light of Canada's issues (Retirements, splits, sitting out season, none of the top three ladies are skating or ready to skate, top dance team retired, second is sitting out the Grand Prix, world champions Chan and Duhamel and Radford retired. Second and third best pairs split or retired, South Korea has skaters in all discipline who are challenging top ten or higher. And some look like future world medallists. Maybe very soon. Their ladies are the school of Yuna Kim - beauty, grace and smooth difficult jumps. They keep getting stronger in dance and pairs. It is interesting their rise in world economy is now mirrored in skating. Such talented skaters.

If they let the north korean team compete for a joint Korean team trophy then maybe, but even then the korean ice dance situation is up in the air.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
??? North Korea has a pair team that is challenging top ten. Does South Korea have a pair team right now at all? (I have not been watching the junior pairs, but I do know only Russia and one U.S. team medaled).

Kyueun was seen trying out with a Canadian man, but I haven't heard further news on their status. So at least officially, South Korea has no pairs. And since there's basically zero resources or coaches for pairs, I don't think we'll be seeing junior pairs any time soon...

WineHerUp

On the Ice
Dabin :cry:. I was definitely looking forward to watching her live at Skate Canada, but since she has withdrawn, I'm crossing my fingers for Eunsoo to take her spot. I'm also so excited for Yelim to make the JGPF. She's so consistent and elegant on the ice :luv17:.

South Korean skaters are thriving this season and I could not be happier. If these skaters continue to have good results for a few more seasons, South Korea could potentially be a big skating hub like Japan. I'm all for the sport growing and developing in newer federations.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I do wish KSU shares some focus to the junior men's. Whilst the girls are showing great potential, the boys were a bit of a wash for me this season. Geonhyeong seems the most impressive out of the current due to the explosive quality of his jumps and his decent skating skills. I would love for him to get some fine-tuning with a better technical coach to correct his mechanics issues.

Another question: where's our denim-on-denim cowboy Sihyeong?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I do wish KSU shares some focus to the junior men's. Whilst the girls are showing great potential, the boys were a bit of a wash for me this season. Geonhyeong seems the most impressive out of the current due to the explosive quality of his jumps and his decent skating skills. I would love for him to get some fine-tuning with a better technical coach to correct his mechanics issues.

Another question: where's our denim-on-denim cowboy Sihyeong?

Sihyeong unfortunately bombed his free at JGP qualifiers, so he didn't get an event... And while if KSU did pay some attention to the junior men it'd help, since our men's field is way, way smaller than the ladies, it's more of a 'talent pool is too small' problem. Like, there was 19 ladies competing for qualifiers while there were 6 men. I say give it time, talented male skaters will emerge as the men's field grows. (While I absolutely hate to put pressure on him, I can't deny that if Junhwan achieves something really big a major growth for the men's field could very much happen, look what happened with the ladies after the Queen's coronation at Vancouver. As much as I hate to say it, nothing helps a sport grow than the emergence of a star.)

Just to add, while his jumps may not be big, Younghyun has charm and musicality, he's a delight to watch. (And he also happens to be my favorite among the junior men :laugh:) He qualified in first place at qualifiers, and I'm just going to link his D'Artagnan free instead of writing a sales pitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcyKwoJfjdA&t=0s&index=4&list=PLuB703eaMDlLS4efO3pQ-3kTCDsuEywsC

marieclaire85

Rinkside
yeah, was really surprised when i saw her at her 1st JGP event with 40+ TES at SP, she has so much promise, cant wait to see her grow performance wise too, along with Haein (which was one of the biggest pleasant surprises og JGP) and hopefully healthy Yunkyung i am very excited for Korean girls next season :luv17: speaking of Yunkyung, any news on her condition? :sad21:

Does anybody know whether Yunkyung has returnes to training or retired after her injury...?

marieclaire85

Rinkside
Sihyeong unfortunately bombed his free at JGP qualifiers, so he didn't get an event... And while if KSU did pay some attention to the junior men it'd help, since our men's field is way, way smaller than the ladies, it's more of a 'talent pool is too small' problem. Like, there was 19 ladies competing for qualifiers while there were 6 men. I say give it time, talented male skaters will emerge as the men's field grows. (While I absolutely hate to put pressure on him, I can't deny that if Junhwan achieves something really big a major growth for the men's field could very much happen, look what happened with the ladies after the Queen's coronation at Vancouver. As much as I hate to say it, nothing helps a sport grow than the emergence of a star.)

Just to add, while his jumps may not be big, Younghyun has charm and musicality, he's a delight to watch. (And he also happens to be my favorite among the junior men :laugh:) He qualified in first place at qualifiers, and I'm just going to link his D'Artagnan free instead of writing a sales pitch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcyKwoJfjdA&t=0s&index=4&list=PLuB703eaMDlLS4efO3pQ-3kTCDsuEywsC

Actually Sihyeong got one apot in Vancouver /Richmond in Canadabut withdrew due to a boot problem... :(

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Actually Sihyeong got one apot in Vancouver /Richmond in Canadabut withdrew due to a boot problem... :(

I thought he had been a substitute, my memory is getting worse apparently. When will our skaters not suffer from boot problems :(

kimi492

Final Flight
Eunsoo still hasn't been announced for a grand prix despite all the withdrawals - this is becoming freaking ridiculous politics nonsense.

This has me reminiscing about the time Yuna said "nah" to the grand prix so they didn't invite her the next year like the petty people they are lol.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
How in the world is Eunsoo not getting confirmed a second spot?!! Give her SA or SC already, damn it.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How in the world is Eunsoo not getting confirmed a second spot?!! Give her SA or SC already, damn it.

:console:

Helsinki and NHK have open spots left too. Lots of opportunity for her if North America doesnt come thru

I’m thinking Helsinki :)