2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ashley repeated them because when she was young, she suffered a concussion where she could not memorize new choreography very well, and this challenge followed her throughout her entire career. That’s why she decided to switch to La La Land at Champs Camp 2018.

She actually never gave that as a reason for the program switch (or for any of her repeated programs I believe). That's only fan speculation. She said she switched back to Moulin Rouge because (essentially) she didn't feel that La La Land was a strong enough program and that Moulin Rouge had more depth.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Um, Ashley Wagner aside (I know I'm partly at fault, I'm sorry), I just realized that Sunghoon is doing his first international competition for this season at Alpen Trophy along with Byeon Sejong and Soyoun, here's hoping he (and the others) skates two clean programs :pray:

leoleo

Medalist
I was just thinking, if Eunsoo were to skate clean at Rostelecom, a silver is definitely achievable. Her scores this season for the SP are above 68 and the other silver medal contenders Mako and sofia scored 66 and 64. Her total score at NHK was 196 even tho her FS was not clean, that's only 2 points less than a clean Sofia got at Skate America. I believe if she were clean, she could score above 200. I know she has yet to skate a clean free skate this season so she'll have to really pull herself together and go for that clean FS. I don't know how much that collision affected her, i hope she's okay. But if she manages to handle these back to back assignments the way Jun did (i'm so proud of him), I'm sure she can medal and even get silver.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I was just thinking, if Eunsoo were to skate clean at Rostelecom, a silver is definitely achievable. Her scores this season for the SP are above 68 and the other silver medal contenders Mako and sofia scored 66 and 64. Her total score at NHK was 196 even tho her FS was not clean, that's only 2 points less than a clean Sofia got at Skate America. I believe if she were clean, she could score above 200. I know she has yet to skate a clean free skate this season so she'll have to really pull herself together and go for that clean FS. I don't know how much that collision affected her, i hope she's okay. But if she manages to handle these back to back assignments the way Jun did (i'm so proud of him), I'm sure she can medal and even get silver.

Although the tech panel is going to play a big role, you're right, a clean Eunsoo would defintely be in medal contention. But don't let her know that, we already saw what nerves can do to her... I do truly want to see her go clean, medal or no medal (but I am going to get out all the booze if she gets on the podium). Right now I'm concerned about her condition, Junhwan's cold at Helsinki got me worried about the same thing happening for her (to think he got another medal while fighting a cold, I am so proud and thankful). I don't think the collision will have a lasting effect, she just needs to be very, very calm and focused. And please, move the salchow to the back end, the bonus is not worth losing her calm :pray:

randomfan

Record Breaker
https://youtu.be/_3iXVr07T8I
Soyoun placed 3rd in the SP at CS Inge Solar Memorial. She’ll be skating last in the FS.

It’s interesting that she went back to her SP from two seasons ago. The original plan was to repeat last season’s SP instead (which I found to be the better program too).

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Soyoun finished 8th at Alpen Trophy. She had a rough free, but I loved her dress and her movements. Hope to see her clean at her next competition!

leoleo

Medalist
Well, well... Junhwan might just make it to the GPF? :confused: who coulda thunk it...

I'm praying that he does! He did so well in the GP, i'd love to see him at the finals.

I was not watching the ladies free skate but OMG EUNSOO GOT THE BRONZE MEDAL??? :eeking: I'm so happy and proud WOW

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
EUNSOO GOT BRONZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She cleaned on her free. I couldn't watch so I don't know how her layout was but still oh my god darling squirtle won her FIRST GP MEDAL ON HER FIRST GP CIRCUIT

It's 3 AM here and I literally screamed out loud in joy. I am going to get out ALL THE BOOZE and drink to that medal. Oh god I am so happy

Edit: Her layout: 3Lz+3T, 3Lo, 3S (finally!!!!!)/3Lz, 2A+2T+2Lo, 3F (dinged...), 2A

leoleo

Medalist
EUNSOO GOT BRONZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She cleaned on her free. I couldn't watch so I don't know how her layout was but still oh my god darling squirtle won her FIRST GP MEDAL ON HER FIRST GP CIRCUIT

It's 3 AM here and I literally screamed out loud in joy. I am going to get out ALL THE BOOZE and drink to that medal while I watch the medal ceremony. Oh god I am so happy

haha i was not watching either, i was too down after Hanyu's injury and seeing all the ladies i was rooting for lie so low after the short program! i did not expect her to come back like this! i've heard from people on twitter that she did not even do a 3rd combo

randomfan

Record Breaker
Congrats Eunsoo!!! Way to go! :cheer2: I’m so happy for her :cry:

On a side note, it seems that she completely forgot about the second 3T. If she was thinking about it, she would’ve at least gone for it on one of her second half jumping passes. Still, it’s impressive that she managed to get on the podium without doing the maximum number of combinations (and looking at the scores, there would’ve been no difference in placement had she done the 3T or even a 2T anyway).

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Congrats Eunsoo!!! Way to go! :cheer2: I’m so happy for her :cry:

On a side note, it seems that she completely forget about the second 3T. If she was thinking about it, she would’ve at least gone for it on one of her second half jumping passes. Still, it’s impressive that she managed to get on the podium without doing the maximum number of combinations (and looking at the scores, there would’ve been no difference in placement had she done the 3T or even a 2T anyway).

I think they left it out on purpose to go safe and not risk botching a clean skate

leoleo

Medalist
I think they left it out on purpose to go safe and not risk botching a clean skate

yeah a fall would have cost her the bronze. Or maybe she just wasn't in the shape to do so. she hasn't been looking her best since yesterday (back to back GP is hard), those falls did look pretty nasty too. I'm proud she managed to recover and win a medal in spite of everything. She can now go rest and get ready for Nationals and probably 4CC.

s_parks

Record Breaker
yeah a fall would have cost her the bronze. Or maybe she just wasn't in the shape to do so. she hasn't been looking her best since yesterday (back to back GP is hard), those falls did look pretty nasty too. I'm proud she managed to recover and win a medal in spite of everything. She can now go rest and get ready for Nationals and probably 4CC.

There's also ranking competition in december before nationals... (aka KSU is the worst)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
There's also ranking competition in december before nationals... (aka KSU is the worst)

Oh (bleep), forgot about those ranking cups, (bleep) KSU. Here's some extra wishes for her condition...

s_parks

Record Breaker
Speaking of the stupid ranking competition, what do the skaters have to do to not have to compete there? Obviously Yuna winning everything possible, she was exempt later in her career. Do the skaters have to be a world medalist? gpf medalist? This is obviously counting chickens, but it could really get in the way of GPFs should the young up-and-comers start making them. (speaking of which, yelim is going to the final and the two are only 10 days apart...) Not to mention just one more useless domestic competition to breed injuries. Like, can the fed stop asserting this ridiculous powerplay and just use nationals for 4cc and national team selection? Ugh.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Speaking of the stupid ranking competition, what do the skaters have to do to not have to compete there? Obviously Yuna winning everything possible, she was exempt later in her career. Do the skaters have to be a world medalist? gpf medalist? This is obviously counting chickens, but it could really get in the way of GPFs should the young up-and-comers start making them. (speaking of which, yelim is going to the final and the two are only 10 days apart...) Not to mention just one more useless domestic competition to breed injuries. Like, can the fed stop asserting this ridiculous powerplay and just use nationals for 4cc and national team selection? Ugh.

The day that happens would be another independence day. I don't think KSU even has rules regarding exemptions or such, and obviously they aren't going to set up new rules because why should they :sarcasm: