2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

Kara

Final Flight
Her SS have quite some potential for a 4th grader. I like looking for young talents at random domestic events too, lol. I've recently discovered this youngster- hard to tell if he's a special talent yet, but with the much shallower talent pool in korean men's fs, he had noticeably better flow across the ice than the other guys around his age. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IZZOvqsIo
I hope we can see more depth in men's soon! It'd be exciting to see another exciting korean talent in the junior circuit after junhwan.

Omg he's so cute. I really hope that he continues. Icescape Rasu and Jewelskaterscross are the true MVPs for making it easy to look at domestic competitions. It frustrates me how hard it is to find results though.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Omg he's so cute. I really hope that he continues. Icescape Rasu and Jewelskaterscross are the true MVPs for making it easy to look at domestic competitions. It frustrates me how hard it is to find results though.

KSU does upload the results on their website, but 1)you have to download the file and 2)it's all in Korean. :palmf: If you want I can go get the results and translate them.

Last edited:

Kara

Final Flight
KSU does upload the results on their website, but 1)you have to download the file and 2)it's all in Korean. :palmf: If you want I can go get the results and translate them.

Them being all in Korean is to be expected and I can read hangul (not well), but I'd just like it to be archived a bit better! I wanted to see Jihyun's protocols so this one would be nice: 2018년 서울시장배 생활체육 피겨대회! Thank you!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Them being all in Korean is to be expected and I can read hangul (not well), but I'd just like it to be archived a bit better! I wanted to see Jihyun's protocols so this one would be nice: 2018년 서울시장배 생활체육 피겨대회! Thank you!

So I did some rummaging for a bit, turns out that they don't upload protocols for that particular competition :palmf: I have no idea why, they upload protocols for the National upcoming hopes comp (전국남녀 피겨 꿈나무대회) and the Kyobo upcoming hopes cup (교보생명컵 꿈나무 체육대회), I checked last year's posts and only the casual sports figure comp (that's 생활체육 피겨대회 translated) don't have protocols. The wonders of the KSU, the more you dig deeper the more you get the urge to bang your head against the wall. :bang:

s_parks

Record Breaker
So I did some rummaging for a bit, turns out that they don't upload protocols for that particular competition :palmf: I have no idea why, they upload protocols for the National upcoming hopes comp (전국남녀 피겨 꿈나무대회) and the Kyobo upcoming hopes cup (교보생명컵 꿈나무 체육대회), I checked last year's posts and only the casual sports figure comp (that's 생활체육 피겨대회 translated) don't have protocols. The wonders of the KSU, the more you dig deeper the more you get the urge to bang your head against the wall. :bang:

KSU: what is transparency?:think:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Young won the Tallinn Trophy! Okay, not a deep field and not clean, but still it's her first Challenger win this season. I wonder when are we going to see her land that 3A though, maybe at Nationals?

Oh, just in case you're reading this, Tom Z or Tammy, bring back Young's original PoC costume with the pants :curse: That prune-colored skirt is so inferior to her red shirt and beige pants, she doesn't look like a pirate in it for crying out loud...

frida80

Record Breaker
Young won the Tallinn Trophy! Okay, not a deep field and not clean, but still it's her first Challenger win this season. I wonder when are we going to see her land that 3A though, maybe at Nationals?

Oh, just in case you're reading this, Tom Z or Tammy, bring back Young's original PoC costume with the pants :curse: That prune-colored skirt is so inferior to her red shirt and beige pants, she doesn't look like a pirate in it for crying out loud...

The stream was such crap. It stopped just as she made her 3A attempted and started again after half the performance was over. I’m glad to see her triple triple was ratified, but I disagree about her 2A+3T. It looked clean to me. This new judging rule is annoying.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker

I guess she's trying to channel this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDuCvCrcKg

Kidding aside, her scores are quite worrying to think about. It is a rebuilding year for her so it's understandable. Better get those jumps worked on before turning senior. She will likely be passed over by Hae-in for Junior Worlds though.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I guess she's trying to channel this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDuCvCrcKg

Kidding aside, her scores are quite worrying to think about. It is a rebuilding year for her so it's understandable. Better get those jumps worked on before turning senior. She will likely be passed over by Hae-in for Junior Worlds though.

:laugh2: I never had made the comparison before, but Young does slightly look like Jennie! But sine she's not going to go "I'm going solololololo" on the ice I still insist on bringing back the pants.

I'm not 100% sure on her being passed over by Haein, while Haein is more consistent Young gets better PCS, so it's probably going to be decided at Nationals. (Considering that Yelim was in 3rd at JGP qualifiers yet she's the one going to Vancouver, our junior ladies can be pretty unpredictable I say.)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
The stream was such crap. It stopped just as she made her 3A attempted and started again after half the performance was over. I’m glad to see her triple triple was ratified, but I disagree about her 2A+3T. It looked clean to me. This new judging rule is annoying.

I tried to catch up by rewinding the stream(work interfered), the frustration of biting my nails to see if she's going to finally land that 3A only for the stream to skip halfway into the program... :bang: I'm terrible at recognizing URs, but to my eyes that -3T looked clean as well. But then considering the state of the tech panel at the GPs... :eek:hwell:

Kara

Final Flight
I'm kind of worried about YY.:( It feels like she's really lost this season in training decisions, like what was that 4Lz business?? I was actually kind of surprised to see how Haein is only a few points off her SB too. I don't think she'll be passed over for JW though unless nationals is a disaster. With her drive, I understand why she's going for the 3A, but I only see it being advantageous when she's already solid on everything else. I still feel the star power though so wishing her the best.:)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm kind of worried about YY.:( It feels like she's really lost this season in training decisions, like what was that 4Lz business?? I was actually kind of surprised to see how Haein is only a few points off her SB too. I don't think she'll be passed over for JW though unless nationals is a disaster. With her drive, I understand why she's going for the 3A, but I only see it being advantageous when she's already solid on everything else. I still feel the star power though so wishing her the best.:)

I remember the interview Young did after JGP qualifiers, she said something along the lines of "I'm working on my difficulty, I'll try to land the 3A next time, and I'm also working on the 4S. I'm going to train hard and do my best to compete against international skaters." Young is the daredevil of the trio, but it seems that the Russian junior ladies jumping those quads have made the burden on her shoulders (curse the media for hyping her to the moon and beyond) even heavier and that's partly why she's going for the difficult jumps. I still remember the clip of her landing that 3A in practice (she also did a +2T if I recall correctly) and being excited by it, but she needs to stop underrotating first damnit :dbana: If only Yelim's strong nerves and full rotations would rub off on Young... (deep sigh)

Fluture

Record Breaker
As someone who has not much knowledge about Korean skaters but has recently been charmed by Eunsoo Lim, Haein Lee and Yelim... what are the chances for the the latter two to make Junior Worlds? Yelim is going to the final so she‘s got a good shot I‘d say. But what about Haein? She was so lovely in the JGP.

woshisunnya

Rinkside
I feel Young You has lost her sparkle on ice this season, both performance and programs sides. I always feel she has very strong presence on the ice. But this season, she seems quite uncomfortable from my prespective. I think she should pay more attention on improving she basic skating skill first other than training on the difficult jumps. By her current skating skills, I think she will have an even harder time when she hits puberty.

On the other side, from this season's JGP, I found Haein and Seo young are both lovely to watch. Both have quite nice basic skating skill at their age, and Haein already has very nice musicality and performance quality. Given there are only two sopts for KR in next JW, it will be a tough compeition to decide which two skaters will go to JW next year.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Okay, so the top 4 junior ladies SB list goes:

Yelim - 196.34 (time violation) TES 111.08 PCS 85.26
Young - 183.98 (time violation, one UR, one 3F!) TES 101.06 PCS 82.92
Haein - 180.48 (one 3Fe) TES 101.47 PCS 79.01
Seoyoung - 176.50 (one step-out, one fall) TES 101.87 PCS 74.63

Barring a disaster Yelim is definitely in, so it's between Young and Haein. Overall Young is ahead with 3.50 points (minus the time violation it would be 4.50), and in PCS Young has 3.91 points over Haein. However, Haein is slightly ahead in TES with 0.41 points. Considering that both have issues with their flip, Haein's lead is likely there because she didn't get any URs.

Here's how I see it. If Young is clean with no URs called (or if she lands that 3A, underrotation issues aside) then she beats Haein. If Young is clean but underrotates, a 100% rotating clean Haein squeezes in front of Young. If they are both clean no URs but have issues with their flip, Young is ahead with her PCS. Otherwise it's up to the judges.

Yep, nationals is going to be interesting for both senior and junior ladies. :popcorn: