2018-19 South Korean figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 South Korean figure skating

Kara

Final Flight
It's my biggest plot twist of the season...Now I'm going to be worried all off season. I don't think there's a skater in Raf's group with truly outstanding skating skills and while Marin already has them, Eunsoo needs work. So like dude if she isn't getting like a quad there, what is the benefit? Other than perhaps more training time?

I'll continue to support her though. Wishing her all the luck and support. I'm still hoping it's a temporary thing though.

QuadSal

On the Ice
I think it's probably because she drops both in stamina near the end of her programs, particularly this year and the drop in her spin levels too.

shine

Record Breaker
It's my biggest plot twist of the season...Now I'm going to be worried all off season. I don't think there's a skater in Raf's group with truly outstanding skating skills and while Marin already has them, Eunsoo needs work. So like dude if she isn't getting like a quad there, what is the benefit? Other than perhaps more training time?

I'll continue to support her though. Wishing her all the luck and support. I'm still hoping it's a temporary thing though.
So her skating skills won't get worse than what they already are. What's the worry?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
So her skating skills won't get worse than what they already are. What's the worry?

are you kidding me, her fans, ofc wanna Eunsoo to improve his SS. not getting worse thus no worries? And who know if she will get worse or not.
As Nathan's fan, you should know better that Nathan as a figure skating artistic protege only turned into a quad king after training with Raf. And his artistry suffered. I am not arguing about Nathan's strategy here.
Thus Eunsoo's fans' worries are legit.

Hollymolly

Medalist
Goning oversea training in Korea is very big choices...( Because recently , there was some political issues. ) And most of oversea coaches are much better than any other coaches in Korea. I can certain about it. And Eun soo went Raf before in vacation, so maybe she feels more comfortable. I watched almost all natinal games and practice in person Since she started to competing , i think most urgent problem for her is Spins and she mostly care about it at all offical practice i saw. So i think it will be good choice for Eunsoo.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I’m not saying it will be for sure 100% bad, but none of Raf’s girls so far were a huge success. I mean, Wagner had her moments but her consistency was lacking. And we are in an era where consistency is key. Raf doesn’t seem to help his skaters much mentally either.
Now, speaking of what Eunsoo needs to improve. I think we all can agree she needs to build up stamina and improve her spins, that’s top priority. I think Raf will be of good help on that. Then she needs to improve her skating skills. I hope Raf pays attention to that, but I’m not sure she’ll improve that aspect much under his coaching. But she will be training alongside Honda who is such a naturally beautiful skater with great SS. Perhaps that’ll help Eunsoo.
Outside of that, both Eunsoo and Marin need to work on jumps, get more consistent.
And of course, mental strength is key. I hope that will come with some more experience. Eunsoo doesn’t strike me as the nervous type(like Kihira for instance).
All in all, I think it won’t be that bad. But let’s pray! [emoji23]

shine

Record Breaker
are you kidding me, her fans, ofc wanna Eunsoo to improve his SS. not getting worse thus no worries? And who know if she will get worse or not.
As Nathan's fan, you should know better that Nathan as a figure skating artistic protege only turned into a quad king after training with Raf. And his artistry suffered. I am not arguing about Nathan's strategy here.
Thus Eunsoo's fans' worries are legit.

No I'm not kidding. And as a Nathan fan, you should also remember what Nathan's programs were like when he was a junior before the quads--with Raf as his coach. They were full of transitions and interesting blade work. We still don't know if the choice to focus on the quads was his or Raf's. So who's to say Raf and his team can't do the same for other promising young skaters?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
No I'm not kidding. And as a Nathan fan, you should also remember what Nathan's programs were like when he was a junior before the quads--with Raf as his coach. They were full of transitions and interesting blade work. We still don't know if the choice to focus on the quads was his or Raf's. So who's to say Raf and his team can't do the same for other promising young skaters?

those programs full of transitions are in the transition period, Nathan did not lose his artistic chops over night, but gradually over the years training with Raf.
if you are not sure about Nathan, just watch Raf's other skaters(the artistic ones), Adam/Ash, none of them have particular good SS, transitions and blade work.

shine

Record Breaker
those programs full of transitions are in the transition period, Nathan did not lose his artistic chops over night, but gradually over the years training with Raf.
if you are not sure about Nathan, just watch Raf's other skaters(the artistic ones), Adam/Ash, none of them have particular good SS, transitions and blade work.
I wouldn't say Nathan lost his artistic chop. He's clearly capable of it as we have seen in his competitive programs even this season when he doesn't include 5 or 6 quads as well as in his exhibitions. He just hasn't been able to combine that with the multiple quads in competition, perhaps due to a combination of unstable technique and the physical and mental demands that are required. Again, I'm not claiming Raf to be the best coach there is but to say he or his team is incapable of teaching anything but jumps is false.

As for Adam and Ashely, they came to Raf as mature skaters and during a period of their career many considered to be in decline. They are also not known to be the most naturally gifted skaters (both jump wise or ss wise). So naturally what could've been done with them was limited, as opposed to working with someone much younger (more possibility to improve and develop correct technique) or someone more naturally talented. Marin Honda is IMO a very gifted a skater, and Eunsoo is very young still, so they are not really comparable to Adam and Ashley. My attitude towards Raf is still wait and see, as opposed to completely dismissing / discrediting his work or ability.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I won't say Nathan lost his artistic chop. He's clearly capable of it as we have seen in his competitive programs even this season when he doesn't include 5 or 6 quads as well as in his exhibitions. He just hasn't been able to combine that with the multiple quads in competition, perhaps due to a combination of unstable technique and the physical and mental demands that are required. Again, I'm not claiming Raf to be the best coach there is but to say he or his team is incapable to teaching anything but jumps is false.

As for Adam and Ashely, they came to Raf as mature skaters and during a period of their career many considered to be in decline. They are also not known to be the most naturally gifted skaters (both jump wise or ss wise). So naturally what could've been done with them was limited, as opposed to working with someone much younger (more possibility to improve and develop correct technique) or someone more naturally talented. Honda is IMO a very gifted a skater, and Eusoo is very young still, so they are not really comparable to Adam and Ashley. My attitude towards Raf is still wait and see, as opposed to completely dismissing / discrediting his work or ability.

Nathan is still very artistic in terms of musicality and naturally a dancer among other things (He is a protege after all). but he needs some enlightenment in terms of SS and transitions (and how to incorporate those seamlessly and meanfully) and over-all approach. I don't see it over the years training with Raf. I also don't see it from Ash/Adam over the years training with Raf as well. I don't think it is all because of Ash/Adam's old age and poor natural talent.

Let us just wait and see. and fingers crossed for Squirtle and Marin.

@shine I don't wanna drag our disagreement in terms of Raf's coaching too long, it is pretty obvious, I will agree to disagree. My opinion is I don't trust (at least I did not see the quality I would like to see) Raf's coaching teams' methodology/approach in components.

shine

Record Breaker
Nathan is still very artistic in terms of musicality and naturally a dancer among other things (He is a protege after all). but he needs some enlightenment in terms of SS and transitions (and how to incorporate those seamlessly and meanfully) and over-all approach. I don't see it over the years training with Raf. I also don't see it from Ash/Adam over the years training with Raf as well. I don't think it is all because of Ash/Adam's old age and poor natural talent.

Let us just wait and see. and fingers crossed for Squirtle and Marin.

@shine I don't wanna drag our disagreement in terms of Raf's coaching too long, it is pretty obvious, I will agree to disagree. My opinion is I don't trust (at least I did not see the quality I would like to see) Raf's coaching teams' methodology/approach in components.
I have no intention of dragging it on either, but if there are things you said about Raf or anyone which I disagree with I'm entitled to express / correct them just like you have to right to say what you did.

Another skater who Raf served as a long time coach for (over a decade) was Alexander Abt. He was known for some of the best skating skills during the Yagudin/Plushenko era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5K3agfbkc&t=135s

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I have no intention of dragging it on either, but if there are things you said about Raf or anyone which I disagree with I'm entitled to express / correct them just like you have to right to say what you did.

Another skater who Raf served as a long time coach for (over a decade) was Alexander Abt. He was known for some of the best skating skills during the Yagudin/Plushenko era.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_5K3agfbkc&t=135s

of course, but I have nothing more to say.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Nathan chopped his artistry because of 5/6 quad program and its hard to do quad with much transition + full choreo. Meanwhile Eunsoo won't be learning quad soon right (well maybe 4S/3A but i doubt she will put it in her program next season) so the artistry thing won't hurt her

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Sorry for Eunsoo's thread, :)hijacked::laugh:)
this girl is really charming skater for her age(10). Since participating 2017 4CC gala, she grew a lot... And she reminds me some of Gubanova or Honda.:laugh: (!! okay this is my own opinion haha)
SP
FS
Actually this was 3 months ago, but I found it recently so I post this now.:rolleye:
I heard that she wants to do ice dancing. But then she needs to go abroad to find nice partner for her and good ice dancing coaches and environment..

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Not bad for a 10 year old, but I'd say the girls in the Russian kids competition (8-10 years old) are way better in SS, jumps and spins.

Sorry for Eunsoo's thread, :)hijacked::laugh:)
this girl is really charming skater for her age(10). Since participating 2017 4CC gala, she grew a lot... And she reminds me some of Gubanova or Honda.:laugh: (!! okay this is my own opinion haha)
SP
FS
Actually this was 3 months ago, but I found it recently so I post this now.:rolleye:
I heard that she wants to do ice dancing. But then she needs to go abroad to find nice partner for her and good ice dancing coaches and environment..

rnois13

On the Ice
Eunsoo will be fine, she's a hard worker and Raf likes hard workers. I think they'll work well together.
She only need to seek someone outside of his team to teach her SS and spin techniques.

Kara

Final Flight
The biggest step is moving overseas in the first place anyway so I'm going to be positive and trust her ability to know what she needs and her proactivity in seeking out help.

Ice Fantasia has ended in Korea. It looked like a ton of fun so I'm really regretting not going.:( KBS messed up with the broadcast, but of course, the lovely Korean fans and their high quality fan cams came to the rescue.:pray: Junhwan really has grown a lot since the Olympics. He's so expressive with both his arms and face now that it's hard to picture him as the same expressionless boy skating to A Chorus Line only a season ago! He also did a great 3Lz-3Lo in the practices for the show so maybe he'll bust that out next season? His twizzles are looking really great too. I'm glad that he's had the opportunity to interact with so many amazing skaters and his own idol Plushenko and I hope this really gives him a good boost into the next season which I'll consider his real first senior season.

Jinseo is always such a dear too and I saw a video on twitter saying he'll continue for another year so I'm really happy about that and I hope his back doesn't cause him too many problems! By the way, Jinseo and Junhwan (and everyone else actually) were looking like straight up kpop idols in those uniforms for B.T.Ice. Yura and Alex were adorable too with their Mario Kart EX.:laugh: Yura seems like such a fun person to hang out with and I'm glad Team Korea had her around during the Olympics along with Alex.

It also looks like Haein replaced Gabby for the last day of the show and she skated really well! A good opportunity for her before she goes to the JGP. She continues the Korean girl tradition of beautiful costumes.

You Young and Yelim are in America too, Yuna is going to skate a new program in All that Skate. So many things happening and I'm super anxious for the off season to end. Yunkyung please come back!:pray:

Huge shoutout to Misha (should probably write this in his FF) for everything he's done for the show. I'm so thankful to him.:hap85:

Izabela

On the Ice
^ According to ATS, So Youn and June Hyoung will also show new exhibitions. I can't wait to see So Youn again!

And Jeff's choreography for Eunsoo may be for this show too :yahoo: