Gracie Gold training for a comeback? | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold training for a comeback?

Barb

Record Breaker
I hope no, but maybe seeing the results of the Americans at Worlds, she got motivated.

tothepointe

On the Ice
She might just be training to maintain her technique so she can entertain skating show offers.

Though having been my own devastating bouts of depression where people thought I might not make it out the other side but once your on the other side your often stronger than ever. More resilient to stress.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I hope she's training so that she can look good in shows. She had a great career and I hope she's doing this to stay in shape and dazzle the crowd. Competitively, She has nothing else to prove and as long as she's healthy and happy, she can do whatever she wants.....

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Hope this is not an early April Fools.

2. If it isn't, thank you Lord Jesus.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow, I saw photos from a Facebook friend that she and her daughter took lessons with Gracie at Aston (late Feb?), but then I saw photos of Gracie back in Arizona after that.

Wowza.... selfishly, I would love to see her at the Liberty comp, usually held in Aston, this summer:biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for Gracie!! I wish her the bestest of luck on her journey but didn’t she just accept a position in Arizona as a full time coach. Not that I’m judging ...merely curious.

Can GS please reinstate SkyFly_20 to give her an added boost. ;)

noskates

Record Breaker
I sincerely hope this rumor is in fact true. I would love to see Gracie back in competition and giving everyone a run for their money at Nats in 2019. I still think a fully healthy Gracie would be a force to be reckoned with nationally and internationally. I hope what ever demons she faced last year are a thing of the past. Go Gracie! And on another note, I hope her detractors on Golden Skate will give her a break and lay off the interminable criticism.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
I ... really hope not. I never was able to enjoy her skating due to how obvious her now-confirmed eating disorder struggle was. And I would rather she be happy, healthy, and never skate for America again than renter the competitive field and relapse. Of course, it’s entirely possible she won’t face the same issues if she chooses to skate competitively again, but I find it hard to be happy about her potential return when I think about the risk. Ultimately, I just hope she does whatever is best for her, and if that’s skating competitively, I really hope she has a good team around her. I just tend to worry.

musicfan80

Medalist
Gracie is still more than young enough to do with skating (or in life) anything she wants to do. Best of luck to her in whatever she is doing. :)

I just want her to stay as healthy and happy as possible.

desertskates

Medalist
Good for Gracie!! I wish her the bestest of luck on her journey but didn’t she just accept a position in Arizona as a full time coach. Not that I’m judging ...merely curious.

Can GS please reinstate SkyFly_20 to give her an added boost. ;)

Oh dear lord, please bite your tongue on the Skyfly thing :laugh:

Gracie is coaching full time in the Phoenix area. As far as any sort of training, I haven’t a clue.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
Taking nothing away from Gracie, with the Russian Quad revolution on the horizon, could she hope to compete, technically, at this point? Prescinding from Gracie, this applies to all our Ladies. Is there a plan in place for them to up their technical content so that they can compete?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
She might just be training to maintain her technique so she can entertain skating show offers.

Though having been my own devastating bouts of depression where people thought I might not make it out the other side but once your on the other side your often stronger than ever. More resilient to stress.

Thank you for saying this. I've been through the major depressions too and almost didn't make it. But yes, when you come out the other side, and make peace with whatever got you there, at least I saw things with such clarity. I knew what I wanted, and let the pressures/criticisms of parents and everyone fall by the wayside. What I choose to do from that point on it will be because I want to and I will be happy regardless whether I succeed or not. It's my life, my choices.

If Gracie wants to come back just to skate like Gracie, the skater she always wanted to be and not how she was told to be, she will be successful. Maybe not results-wise, but putting that demon to rest will give her closure on her own terms. She really didn't end her career on her terms. I fully support her coming back if she's happy.

Barb

Record Breaker
I must have missed it but now I'm really curious.... Who was SkyFly? An uberfan of someone?

a poster who was obsessed with beauty (especially Hollywood beauty) and weight (everyone were fat for her/him), he/she started a lot of fan threads too.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Taking nothing away from Gracie, with the Russian Quad revolution on the horizon, could she hope to compete, technically, at this point? Prescinding from Gracie, this applies to all our Ladies. Is there a plan in place for them to up their technical content so that they can compete?

You don't need to be competitive with the Russians in order to become the National Champ again. That is an achievement in and of itself.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Thank you for saying this. I've been through the major depressions too and almost didn't make it. But yes, when you come out the other side, and make peace with whatever got you there, at least I saw things with such clarity. I knew what I wanted, and let the pressures/criticisms of parents and everyone fall by the wayside. What I choose to do from that point on it will be because I want to and I will be happy regardless whether I succeed or not. It's my life, my choices.

If Gracie wants to come back just to skate like Gracie, the skater she always wanted to be and not how she was told to be, she will be successful. Maybe not results-wise, but putting that demon to rest will give her closure on her own terms. She really didn't end her career on her terms. I fully support her coming back if she's happy.

Yeah she may want to see if its still something she wants. Sometimes you have to try something again to know if what you were feeling about it was truly authentic. Was it the dpression, the environment or simply time to move on to the next phase.

MACGoldSeal

Rinkside
You don't need to be competitive with the Russians in order to become the National Champ again. That is an achievement in and of itself.
Which she has done, twice, already.

I'll stipulate to that, tothepointe, but that's never going to be enough for the USFSA or the US Media. If Nationals is the be all and end all, we're going to be like so many countries who send their National Champtions to Worlds without a chance of gaining the podium. The long line of American Ladies who go on to International success looms over this question. From Tenley Albright on, our National Champions were competitive Internationally. The pressure on our skaters is immense. Look at Nathan and what the pressure did to him, at the tender age of 18! Our National Champion in Ladies is supposed to go on and medal. Look at this board alone and how many people are concerned about the lack of our success internationally?

tothepointe

On the Ice
Honestly, people shouldn't be so concerned. There is no reason why people should expect Americans to be more successful and more talented than other countries simply because of the size and our past. I'm a dual US/NZ citizen and I don't expect much more from the US champ than I do the NZ champ. Country of origin doesn't always equal success. You don't really know where you are going to find the next great talent.

Other countries want to win also. We are now in a phase where they actually do. There is nothing wrong with that.

If she regains her national title for the 3rd time after suffering great adversity and doesn't medal at Worlds it'll be about the same as before for the country. But for her it will be meaningful. If she can come back with the attitude Polina had then that is a good life goal in and of itself.

Honestly people's expectations on this board and otherwise can go fug themselves. Unless they are the ones financially and emotionally supporting these athletes to suceed then they have no reason to complain.