Gracie Gold training for a comeback? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold training for a comeback?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Aston Pa. Rink is advertising a meet and greet with Gracie at an April 29 show. Ting Cui is performing.

I know a meet & greet means nothing other than she will be at the rink. If she is moving, as a native Philadelphian, I’m glad she likes the area:biggrin:

MarinHondas

Final Flight
The Aston Pa. Rink is advertising a meet and greet with Gracie at an April 29 show. Ting Cui is performing.

I know a meet & greet means nothing other than she will be at the rink. If she is moving, as a native Philadelphian, I’m glad she likes the area:biggrin:

Hope there will be videos of Ting’s performance. I adore her skating.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
If Gracie wants to come back- and she and her support team don't think it will trigger another episode- then :cheer:. Akiko proved it can be done!

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I don't want to start a war here but I really want to know how someone could look at Gracie's skating over the years and determine she had an eating disorder? Even when certain people were calling her fat I couldn't see it - she looked the same to me all the time. Admittedly she was a bit slower but that could have been from lack of training.

A healthy, well-trained Gracie has the chops to compete with anybody in the world!!!

I know!!! Of course, ED’s are not always, not only - or even “required” DSM wise - to be evident in physical appearance, especially not to someone watching a performance on TV - but....obvious signs??
The MOST I ever noticed was an athletic girl. Even during the “oh s**t guys, this gal is starving” debacle she still looked “fine”.
Other than an apparently frail competition mindset, nothing jumped out TO THE VIEWERS about Gracie having an ED.

The gossip though - which I’m assuming the poster who wrote this was award of - THAT I wish would either be fully explained, or just not mentioned at all. Since it’s a bit late for the latter and so many people seem to know “the full story” but won’t actually explain it - yet expect others to not only be respectful but know absolutely what was taking place during her years with Frank, maybe things could be explained??

I’m under the impression that it was Gracie who was forced to live on OJ and Mayo, but that’s all i can even guess at.
Even shows like TSL keep referring to “those who really knew her circumstances” etc....well, what were they??
If this is such a non-secret then maybe it could be addressed so that fans can not unintentionally say anything disrespectful about or to Gracie, and also so that awareness of mental health issues particular to a certain club etc can be raised.

I think it’s time to either give the full story or just close that chapter.

RobinA

On the Ice
If Gracie wants to come back- and she and her support team don't think it will trigger another episode- then :cheer:. Akiko proved it can be done!

I think it would depend on whether ones body can maintain a good skating weight in a healthy way.

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
I know!!! Of course, ED’s are not always, not only - or even “required” DSM wise - to be evident in physical appearance, especially not to someone watching a performance on TV - but....obvious signs??
The MOST I ever noticed was an athletic girl. Even during the “oh s**t guys, this gal is starving” debacle she still looked “fine”.
Other than an apparently frail competition mindset, nothing jumped out TO THE VIEWERS about Gracie having an ED.

The gossip though - which I’m assuming the poster who wrote this was award of - THAT I wish would either be fully explained, or just not mentioned at all. Since it’s a bit late for the latter and so many people seem to know “the full story” but won’t actually explain it - yet expect others to not only be respectful but know absolutely what was taking place during her years with Frank, maybe things could be explained??

I’m under the impression that it was Gracie who was forced to live on OJ and Mayo, but that’s all i can even guess at.
Even shows like TSL keep referring to “those who really knew her circumstances” etc....well, what were they??
If this is such a non-secret then maybe it could be addressed so that fans can not unintentionally say anything disrespectful about or to Gracie, and also so that awareness of mental health issues particular to a certain club etc can be raised.

I think it’s time to either give the full story or just close that chapter.

I thought that TSL's implication on the orange juice with mayo packets thing was about Zijun Li (from when the skaters from China were training at the Toyota Center). In any case...even if Gracie never competes again, skating was/is such a huge part of her life, I'm happy if she is able to find joy in skating after what she's gone through, she probably feels like she didn't get to go out on her own terms. Gracie's story is her OWN to tell, whether she chooses to or not, she doesn't owe the public anything.

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
So many people are being so negative about this... just let Gracie be! If she wants to try and come back, let her. It’s her life not yours. Plus, her coach has done an amazing job with Ting CUI so let’s see what he can do for Gracie!

megenta

Rinkside
She's already super lucky to have been able to afford treatment for her issues, especially in a place that have therapy horses etc, many people with mental illnesses live in the streets.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think it would depend on whether ones body can maintain a good skating weight in a healthy way.

Exactly.......When you add the stress of competition I would really worry about her being out on the circuit traveling. It's not a stable lifestyle and she would need a great team around her 24/7. I guess it depends on what she'd want out of it. She can perform in shows and dazzle the crowd with a 3/toe and a Sal. She'll get big applause just for being there as she is so popular. She'll have fellow performers instead of competitors and I think that could be very good for her.

It's too bad they don't have those old pro-am shows like they used to. I think that would be a perfect venue for Gracie.

sheetz

Record Breaker
I wouldn't put pressure on Gracie to compete. It's too soon for that. But she's still in demand for shows and certainly would have been asked to do SOI had she been ready. Sun Valley headliners will be announced soon so she might be hoping to do that.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
2-3? She would need all her triples back and a 3-3 and another 3t combo. US may not be podiuming at worlds but top 10 is expected. We still have Bradie, Mariah, Mirai, Karen and Starr and Ting coming up with a full set of triples. She would not even make top 8/10 at nats with only 2-3 triples.

Yeah, I was going to say the bar isn't quite so low that 2-3 different triples would do it. I don't think she'd even try to compete without the full set of 5.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Do anyone remember how much time Akiko Suzuki stopped competing to get treatment?

Just off the top of my head, I think she was ill (including hospitalization) and off the ice for about a year and it took another year or so for her to get back to competitive condition. In her autobiography she says she was not allowed back on the ice when she first returned to the rink. Coach Kawakubo told her to start her training by walking, she was so weak. But unlike Gracie (who possibly had bulimia, not anorexia?), she went down to 30-something kilos and said she had to completely rebuild her body. She often says she was able to continue competing till the grand old age of 29, because she had a gap year.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Just off the top of my head, I think she was ill (including hospitalization) and off the ice for about a year and it took another year or so for her to get back to competitive condition. In her autobiography she says she was not allowed back on the ice when she first returned to the rink. Coach Kawakubo told her to start her training by walking, she was so weak. But unlike Gracie (who possibly had bulimia, not anorexia?), she went down to 30-something kilos and said she had to completely rebuild her body. She often says she was able to continue competing till the grand old age of 29, because she had a gap year.

Thank you.

Akiko is fighter, I saw her in a video with Oda yesterday and she looked happy and healthy, hopefully Gracie and other girls would find the strength to get over their illness and comeback if they feel fit too

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
I hope so! Gracie has the potential to be a World and Olympic champion- she's the best the US has had on the women's side since Sasha Cohen.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I thought that TSL's implication on the orange juice with mayo packets thing was about Zijun Li (from when the skaters from China were training at the Toyota Center). In any case...even if Gracie never competes again, skating was/is such a huge part of her life, I'm happy if she is able to find joy in skating after what she's gone through, she probably feels like she didn't get to go out on her own terms. Gracie's story is her OWN to tell, whether she chooses to or not, she doesn't owe the public anything.
No way!!! Sheesh, that rink is one unhealthy place to be :(

It is hers, that I agree with. I imagine the only reason she has told so much already is due to a sense of loyalty to fans, contractual obligations, media management advice, etc.

Does she herself owe the public anything? Well...that’s honestly a bit tricky IMO. Personally I’m torn - most of my annoyance is at the “I’m on the know but I’ll only give you 65% of the story and then let you deal” people. Had Gracie been able to issue a statement, take her break - sure, there’d be gossip and speculation but nothing like what we see has happened.

Also, In a way, I feel this is getting into Dr Nassar territory here, with the ED’s being so prevalent at Toyota. Legally of course, no, but perhaps her management team ought to step up and really highlight what exactly the problems are at this institution. It could be done internally, not even in public; just as long as something is done to bring about change. I mean, this is a place where young, impressionable athletes are sent to develop - shouldn’t the facility be investigated to see if anything is amiss there? (yes, I realise that girls/boys may come with their own issues - not that I’m casting blame by saying that).
I’d want to know whether there are coaches who have particularly backward attitudes re nutrition (I have encountered some in adult life, and to hear them heap praise on my thin yet unwell-due-to-mono body IN FRONT OF TEENS is horrific.), if so, get them into education seminars!
Are there guidance staff present, sports psychologists present? Doctors who are running blood tests and discussing with the KIDS that body composition is more than scale weight?

Raf, when discussing weight and how it is discussed in the US, mentioned seminars and how perplexing it was for him to have to gently raise the issue of food with the skaters...but obviously, despite the huge cultural difference, he’s trying.
Are the Toyota coaches “western”? (Ahem, Frank...) Are they keeping up with the latest in dietetics and sports science? ‘Cause for the $$ patents or adult skaters fork out, they oughta be!

Yeah, bit of a rant there...I just can’t believe that a top athlete was so devoid of support. Given the grief everyone heaps on the Russians, maybe it would be better to look internally first to see if athletes are ok, and if not, why not?

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
No way!!! Sheesh, that rink is one unhealthy place to be :(

It is hers, that I agree with. I imagine the only reason she has told so much already is due to a sense of loyalty to fans, contractual obligations, media management advice, etc.

Does she herself owe the public anything? Well...that’s honestly a bit tricky IMO. Personally I’m torn - most of my annoyance is at the “I’m on the know but I’ll only give you 65% of the story and then let you deal” people. Had Gracie been able to issue a statement, take her break - sure, there’d be gossip and speculation but nothing like what we see has happened.

Also, In a way, I feel this is getting into Dr Nassar territory here, with the ED’s being so prevalent at Toyota. Legally of course, no, but perhaps her management team ought to step up and really highlight what exactly the problems are at this institution. It could be done internally, not even in public; just as long as something is done to bring about change. I mean, this is a place where young, impressionable athletes are sent to develop - shouldn’t the facility be investigated to see if anything is amiss there? (yes, I realise that girls/boys may come with their own issues - not that I’m casting blame by saying that).
I’d want to know whether there are coaches who have particularly backward attitudes re nutrition (I have encountered some in adult life, and to hear them heap praise on my thin yet unwell-due-to-mono body IN FRONT OF TEENS is horrific.), if so, get them into education seminars!
Are there guidance staff present, sports psychologists present? Doctors who are running blood tests and discussing with the KIDS that body composition is more than scale weight?

Raf, when discussing weight and how it is discussed in the US, mentioned seminars and how perplexing it was for him to have to gently raise the issue of food with the skaters...but obviously, despite the huge cultural difference, he’s trying.
Are the Toyota coaches “western”? (Ahem, Frank...) Are they keeping up with the latest in dietetics and sports science? ‘Cause for the $$ patents or adult skaters fork out, they oughta be!

Yeah, bit of a rant there...I just can’t believe that a top athlete was so devoid of support. Given the grief everyone heaps on the Russians, maybe it would be better to look internally first to see if athletes are ok, and if not, why not?

There have been various media reports over the years about restricted diets that Li Zijun had been on at certain points in her career, so I don't know what that would have to do with her time at Toyota- and I don't think that you can blame Gracie's situation on Toyota. TSL also never said at the time that someone was being "forced" to do the mayo packets/orange juice thing. Jenny Kirk has talked about how common disordered eating is in the skating community however. I know that she has said that she was encouraged by her coaching team to seek treatment (aka delay treatment until) AFTER the Olympics, was that when she was with Frank?

I also wouldn't put too much stock in TSL's "The people who REALLY know about the situation know (etc.)" and agree that it gets annoying. They do seem to have accurate sourcing, but Dave seems to mostly just get off on giving heavy hints on the Gracie stuff for no reason other than to try and prove he is connected. I remember (before Gracie announced the eating disorder stuff...when it was just the vague "getting treatment"), one reporter implied that it could be for an eating disorder, perhaps based on her Skate America comments from the year before, and Dave posted something on Facebook like "people who know the situation know that this is not for an eating disorder" (!), and then a few months later Gracie announced that she was seeking treatment for an eating disorder, depression, and anxiety. Gracie had no obligation to announce any of that to the public, I applaud her candidness (also we have no idea what her situation is-we don't need to-eating disorders could also mean exercise bulimia, binge eating, etc..). Again, mostly I'm happy that Gracie is able to still be involved in skating, whether it be through coaching, etc. I'm looking forward to Nancy Kerrigan's documentary on eating disorders.

andromache

Record Breaker
There have been various media reports over the years about restricted diets that Li Zijun had been on at certain points in her career, so I don't know what that would have to do with her time at Toyota- and I don't think that you can blame Gracie's situation on Toyota. TSL also never said at the time that someone was being "forced" to do the mayo packets/orange juice thing. Jenny Kirk has talked about how common disordered eating is in the skating community however. I know that she has said that she was encouraged by her coaching team to seek treatment (aka delay treatment until) AFTER the Olympics, was that when she was with Frank?

Per Wikipedia (not the most accurate source, I know) and this interview (http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-33-jennifer-kirk/), Frank was Jenny's last coach before she retired, which would seem to imply that it was that coaching team that encouraged her to wait it out until after the Olympics to seek treatment for the eating disorder. Jenny also notes that she had an eating disorder BEFORE moving to Frank, so it's not like his coaching caused it. That said, telling an athlete to delay treatment for the sake of a sport is its own red flag.

My guess would be that there are "old school" coaches who have (or used to have) "old school" approaches to problems like mental illness. Frank and/or his team might have taken a more "old school" approach to Jenny's eating disorder, and perhaps to Gracie's issues as well. It wouldn't surprise me if coaches who were trained in a post-Little Girls in Pretty Boxes world and in a time and place when athletes and other celebrities have been more open about struggles like eating disorders have much better approaches to dealing with these issues than coaches who were trained at a time when these issues were instead ignored and swept under the rug.