Donovan Carrillo | Page 27 | Golden Skate

Donovan Carrillo

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure about that because i am in the U.S. My guess would be no. I am hoping he posts a photo (eventually) when he goes back to the rink.

I am also in the US, so I am hoping our Mexican friends will tell us, but my guess is the same as yours.

My impression is that Donovan is self-isolating as best practices for his health, and that's why we see so much off-ice training:) but that Mexico does not have as strict measures as other places. If I am wrong, I hope someone will correct me.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i'm hearing bad news from Mexico, are you all fine, Mexican friends? i'm also worried about Donovan and his family, let's hope for the best :pray:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Hi, sorry for the late reply...

Here, non essential public spaces are still closed (schools and universities, churches, cinemas, etc.) while stores, some bussinesses and restaurants are open but with sanitary measures.

I really doubt there are any rinks open right now. My guess is also that Donovan is staying at home and focusing on off-ice training. I'm sure he'll let us know when he's finally back on the ice :)

About the general situation in the country, I must admit I haven't been paying much attention to the "official numbers" or the news lately, like I used to at the beginning, so I can't really say much about it... Personally, I'm in one of the least affected states, but I've still been staying at home with family since mid-march, my relatives/friends/classmates are also taking care and everyone's healthy so far. I don't expect things to go back to normal very soon but we'll see.

Hope you're all safe and healthy as well :)

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Over here it’s certainly not well (at least where I am which is Mexico City meaning the highest infection rate in the country). I have been keeping some sort of tract and we have been rising in number of cases and deceased, yet next Monday essential businesses and even some offices are meant to head back to work...at least schools and colleges will remain closed for the time being.
I agree rinks are definitely closed rn. But if Donovan is in León or Guadalajara I feel a bit at ease since they are in two states where they are taking the preventive measures more seriously (at least better than over here). I hope he is focusing on off ice training, taking is easy to not cause or aggravate injuries.

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Second Part :biggrin:

Donovan Carrillo runs out of the world due to coronavirus (March 2020, apparently a part of the Mexican press believed that Donovan qualified for Worlds)
https://lasillarota.com/deportes/do...onavirus-covid-19-suspenden-campeonato/369700
“ISU regrets that the season's most important figure skating event can’t be held as scheduled but ISU understands that the safety and well-being of all participants and community take priority”

Donovan Carrillo with the goal set for Beijing 2022 (April 2020) https://deportedigital.mx/donovan-carrillo-con-la-meta-fija-a-beijing-2022
Jalisco skater Donovan Carrillo said that despite interrupting his work this year, he continues to pursue the goal set at the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympics.
“Once the activities are restarted, I will begin to include, in addition to the axel, quadruple jumps to increase the difficulty of the routines; for now I must adapt at home with jugs and other exercises to stay in shape", he said. “We are preparing a song that will surely become the public's favorite. We planned to premiere it in June during an International Festival in Mexico, but we don't know if the dates will change”.

Donovan Carrillo: "In Mexico people judge you for being a figure skater" (April 2020, I recommend reading this article)
https://www.publimetro.com.mx/mx/de...llo-mexico-te-juzgan-patinador-artistico.html
Donovan Carrillo has become the most outstanding Mexican skater and practically the only one who has gone around the world; However, the road has not been easy and it has had to experience, among the economic and sporting obstacles, the same discrimination of Mexican society that has not yet opened its panorama regarding artistic disciplines carried out by men.

Without ice, Donovan Carrillo continues his preparation to qualify for Beijing 2022 (April 2020)
https://www.milenio.com/deportes/ma...lo-continua-preparacion-clasificar-pekin-2022
"To qualify for Beijing there are two ways, one is through the 2021 World Cup, which will be held in Sweden, and there they will give 24 places, where the first, second and third places will take three places to their country, later the fourth and fifth two places, and only one place will be given from sixth place, so you have to be in the top 19 to get the ticket. The other option is in the repechage, and this competition takes place in October 2021, and all the countries that do not have a place participate, and the last six places will be distributed there, ”said Carrillo “These days I was going to have the part of camps outside the country, but that part was affected by the issue of the coronavirus”.

Donovan shines on the ice (May 2020) https://www.yucatan.com.mx/deportes/donovan-brilla-sobre-el-hielo
And now that we were able to contact Donovan Carrillo Suazo, the young skater made the story of a sacrifice, of a tireless and intense fight to become a revelation in figure skating, first, until he became one of the athletes most representative of Mexico, a country where dreams are hard to achieve. And the price goes beyond money. One was moving from Guadalajara to León to train on the León track full time. “This meant leaving my family. Since 2013 I live in León and sometimes I see my parents three times a year. :shocked: This is something you have to do if you intend to get where you have thought".

The Mexican figure skating figure Donovan Carrillo, invites you to stay home for the covid19 (May2020, video)
https://889noticias.mx/espacio-depo...o-te-invita-a-quedarte-en-casa-ante-covid-19/

There are other interviews that I will try to post later (although some repeat information that we already knew) :slink:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for this list, @maryeli, I look forward to reading them.

And the headline that “in Mexico, people judge you for being a figure skater” certainly sounds intriguing. Sadly we still have much work to do world wide to overcome stereotyping.:sad21:

But we know Donovan is strong and can do that :hap10:

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
"We are preparing a song that will surely become the public's favorite. We planned to premiere it in June during an International Festival in Mexico, but we don't know if the dates will change”.
Now I'm very curious about what that song is! :biggrin:

There are other interviews that I will try to post later (although some repeat information that we already knew) :slink:
Thank you for sharing them here :thank:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Just in case someone missed it... (I also found him there purely by chance!) Donovan participated in the choreo lesson led by Misha Ge, part of the "Keep Training" series by ISU Channel the other day! :dance3:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey everyone, my interview with Donovan has finally been published...

hope some of you will enjoy it :)

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index.php?cat=interviews&id=2020donovancarrillo

Thank you @ladybug, great interview, to hear Donovan's reflections and how hard he works to represent his country.

Also so good to hear how much Donovan loves his fans:
"It's a big honor for me to have all these fans and all these people supporting me. This really helps me to fight for my dream. You have to have people like that in your career to make you better. This really inspires me to be better."