Donovan Carrillo | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Donovan Carrillo

Ulrica

On the Ice
Tv Azteca (one of the two biggest networks on Mexico) did some coverage on him and also had him on a popular morning talk show :yahoo:

https://www.facebook.com/AztecaNoti...wMDAwMDcwOTEwNjI5MTpWSzozMTMzMTQ0NDkzMjA4NDg/

https://youtu.be/-hCYNvfOCwQ?fbclid=IwAR15-MVcdAh_8Nsb_RQzXD6_hGhz7SnErvSdEzrRSSzMIwoHAWFd0GeAD8U

I don't really watch tv, and Tv Azteca is not really known for being an respectable source of entertainment or news, however the fact that he is managing to break through more mainstream media platforms is amazing.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am loving all the Donovan interviews on TV shows and newscasts, even if I only understand about half;)

But since he wears that México sweatshirt to every interview, he may need a new one soon:biggrin:

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
I am loving all the Donovan interviews on TV shows and newscasts, even if I only understand about half;)

But since he wears that México sweatshirt to every interview, he may need a new one soon:biggrin:

You can activate the subtitles option (the majority of youtube translations are decent, I think ;) )

What draws attention: So many animators / TV interviewers trying to talk about something they have no idea (in some they even launch comments are hilarious, so I preferred not to share the links) :confused2:

We hope that CONADE will comply with Donovan (another story we would have if they had listened to and supported him since 2016 and that story "we did not know that figure skating was an Olympic sport" I don't believe it) :slink:

Article from a local newspaper (with errors like other media, but mention something about the sponsors, projections of quads, etc)

https://periodicocorreo.com.mx/luch...msTSipAbPGuFybPqpBjjK5rLAglwmGpALT_spSEIKgWB4

Donovan Carrillo fights to fulfill his dream

The skater has had to fight against all the obstacles that many Mexican athletes have encountered; the lack of support and the bad conditions to develop as a high performance athlete.

"At the age of 3 I started in sports, my parents are physical education teachers; we love sports, first they were diving, then gymnastics and at 8 years old, figure skating begins. When I knew figure skating I knew I had found the place to which it belonged, I have found in skating my true passion; that's where I flow and I feel like a fish in the water".

"My coach does not charge me a single peso, he and I have goals to fulfill, we know that we must work as a team to achieve these goals. The people of León have treated me very well, I knew it was a place to grow, "he added.

Also, the support of the authorities had been denied, and although the results have given rise to highlight his career, the skater himself shared that in the first instance he was denied economic scholarships, for which he regretted that in Mexico there is support already until the athlete is consolidated, while in the process they have to make do with themselves.

A high risk sport is like Donovan considers the Artistic Skating, reason why he pointed out that the challenges are part of his life. The 'triple Axel' could achieve after many falls, Carrillo shared that in his career has no limits and proof of this was to conquer the jump in an international competition.

Now the next goal will be to replicate it in the World Cup in Japan, while later it will look for a 'quadruple jump', which is even more complex to achieve, since the AXEL triple consists of three and a half laps in the air, while the quadruple completes them. four laps, so he has already begun to work it.

:cheer:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you for the translation @Maryeli:clap:

One point that I was reminded of, and also reminded seeing Gregorio with Donovan in these interviews, is knowing that all of Gregorio’s hard work and faith in Donovan may finally be rewarded, as won’t Gregorio also now receive some funding via CONADE?:hap10:

They didn’t know figure skating was an Olympic sport? :palmf: yes, and I didn’t know racewalking was an Olympic sport :sarcasm: well, at least they are on board now!

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
"My coach does not charge me a single peso, he and I have goals to fulfill, we know that we must work as a team to achieve these goals."
:jaw: Isn't that amazing? These two are like the Dynamic Duo. I wish them all the best of luck. I made a donation on his page and just wish I could have given more.

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Quads...

https://es-us.vida-estilo.yahoo.com...wHYSnSHsK_0hzXp4-VGImR1D7V5rscMfVlEW-EgEbOW18

The successful career of a 19-year-old artistic skater

His achievements are not fortuitous: from an early age he was in gym classes and diving, but it was thanks to his sister Daphne that he knew figure skating and was completely captivated by this winter sport. Today, he has been 12 times national champion in all levels of the Mexican Federation of Ice Skating.

"I started skating when I was eight years old. Before jumping I feel adrenaline and excitement; I like to take speed, feel the air on my face and express feelings with choreography. The skating joint the technical part that is complemented with the artistic one; both the spectators and the skaters enjoyed it ", Donovan emphasizes and explains that skating in Mexico at a competitive level has approximately 600 skaters, among which there are only 10 to 15 men, none of their age.

Last year was important for him, he qualified in the world championship that was held in Milan. 34 skaters participated, but only the 24 best positions qualified for the final. Donovan finished the competition at number 22.

To achieve his goals, he has had to make different sacrifices. The first of them: he had to leave his family in Guadalajara, his hometown, since they closed the ice rink where he trained and had to settle in León, Guanajuato. After finishing high school, he left school to focus on skating, because he could not keep to the schedules (his training, led by Gregorio Núñez, is six hours a day). However, in the future he would like to study Marketing, Advertising or Physiotherapy.

Currently, Donovan practices the quadruple salchow and toeloop jumps that consist of giving four revolutions in the air before landing, something never done by a Mexican skater.

:hap10:

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Article about Donovan in PROCESO https://www.proceso.com.mx/575366/d...RKF8-XxTTCJYdg5HjPaGJPlCuSFVwUNV27FHHUBhG4pDk

Donovan Carrillo enlists his participation in the World Figure Skating Championships (March 14, 2019)

The artistic skater Donovan Carrillo, the first practitioner of a winter sport to receive help from the federal government, will travel this Friday 15 to the World Figure Skating Championships, which will be held in Saitama, Japan, where he will seek to qualify at the end of the event.

Núñez, declared that the help of the federal government would help Donovan Carrillo to obtain his participation in the Beijing Olympic Winter Games 2022, since Donovan would increase his participation in more international competitions to look for the qualification.

Recently, Carrillo Suazo was awarded with the "Fair Play" award, for his results and sports career, awarded by Panathon Club Querétaro, during the XXIX Sports Gala Queretaro 2019.

For his part, Gregorio Núñez, his coach, received the "Walter Pérez Soto" award for his career as an ice skating coach.

CONADE wishes success to Donovan https://www.gob.mx/conade/prensa/vi...q4ERYcpJS_z2z1CMvDm1HgM4bCGjBkgKDx6hGiu7prehM

In IG Donovan has shared images of the hotel and the products he received for Worlds comitte and a short video sending greetings to the fans (Instatory)I

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
According to Jackie Wong's report, looks like Donovan had a pretty decent practice. Like his tenacity on that 3A

Carrillo: 2A, 3Lz3T(fall), 3Lz(step), 3Lz3T, 3S(hangs on), 3F1Eu3S, 3Lz2T, 3F, 3F, 3A, marked jumps in run thru, 3A(fall), 3A(fall), 3A

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sorry he didn't have the skate he was hoping for...He still looks like a ray of sunshine with that bow tie though. Keep working hard Donovan!!!! :cheer:

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Article about Donovan in GQ https://www.pressreader.com/argentina/gq-latinoamerica/20190329/281986083906744

Donovan Carrillo

He is only 19 years old and has already won a historical place in the artistic skating scene in Mexico. And we haven't yet seen the full potential of this talented boy.
Do you remember what I was doing when you were a kid of only 19? Us neither. Born in Zapopan, Jalisco, Donovan Carrillo has spent most of his life linked to sports.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Article about Donovan in GQ https://www.pressreader.com/

Donovan Carrillo

He is only 19 years old and has already won a historical place in the artistic skating scene in Mexico. And we haven't yet seen the full potential of this talented boy.
Do you remember what I was doing when you were a kid of only 19? Us neither. Born in Zapopan, Jalisco, Donovan Carrillo has spent most of his life linked to sports.

Thanks @Maryeli, the link did not take me there, ETA: now it does:thumbsup: but I searched Donovan Carrillo and GQ and found it.

Love the photo with the ice cream cone and the Calvin Klein “look”. So happy to see Donovan get some “fluff”, and he looks adorable as ever:biggrin:

Last edited:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Article about Donovan in GQ https://www.pressreader.com/argentina/gq-latinoamerica/20190329/281986083906744

Donovan Carrillo

something stupid probably, but i wasn't making history for sure :biggrin:

donovan must be so proud!

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Donovan is asking for musical proposals for his new SP (through his IG) :eeking:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan is asking for musical proposals for his new SP (through his IG) :eeking:

I liked this season's SP, and we hardly got to see it; I wish he would have kept it. :drama:

Ulrica

On the Ice
I would like him to skate to a tango, something flirty like Adiós Nonino would fit him like a glove