Donovan Carrillo | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Donovan Carrillo

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
I'm so happy for Donovan :yahoo: (but so sad for Namm and Moris)

Donovan said a MarcaClaro that: "I'm the first Mexican to qualify for a World Cup, which is a source of pride for me, and I've also reached the final, I can not wish for more ... If I'm here, it's because of all the support that my coach has given me. Gregorio Núñez who has never charged me since I started skating because he always saw a bit of talent in me ", also highlights that: Donovan Carrillo does not receive institutional support to cover his training. On occasion he has even had to compete with skates and borrowed suits.
http://www.marca.com/claro-mx/otros-deportes/2018/03/22/5ab3d4a146163f75238b4592.html

Fuerza Donovan!!! you are an example and full of pride to all of Latin America :cheer:

eriecold

On the Ice
I'm so happy for Donovan :yahoo: (but so sad for Namm and Moris)

Donovan said a MarcaClaro that: "I'm the first Mexican to qualify for a World Cup, which is a source of pride for me, and I've also reached the final, I can not wish for more ... If I'm here, it's because of all the support that my coach has given me. Gregorio Núñez who has never charged me since I started skating because he always saw a bit of talent in me ", also highlights that: Donovan Carrillo does not receive institutional support to cover his training. On occasion he has even had to compete with skates and borrowed suits.
http://www.marca.com/claro-mx/otros-deportes/2018/03/22/5ab3d4a146163f75238b4592.html

Fuerza Donovan!!! you are an example and full of pride to all of Latin America :cheer:

Wanna Cry!!! We should all drop huge congrats on his twitter account, even if he never checks it.
ALL PROUD OF HIM!!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
So proud of Donovan for being the first Mexican skater to qualify for the FS at the World Championships! The future is bright for him! :yahoo:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Donovan had a good day I think. He broke 200 for the first time with 200.76. That's not all. His score puts him at 71st so (assuming there are no more comps, which i don't think there are) he is technically grand prix eligible! :yahoo:

Being 71st makes it a bit unlikely he would get a spot. But I do think he could end up being a convenient last minute replacement for Skate Canada or Skate America now.

English commentary of his free with I think Ryan Bradley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h76ZRoogArU
While he clearly loved Donovan... i felt he borrowed a few lines from the Jason Brown script. So I think Misha and Jason should take Donovan under their wings and be his mentors... I think they would be good for him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Whole post

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
Way to go, Donovan! And wouldn’t a GP be wonderful? :pray:

On a selfish note, Stitch, I am so glad you told me to look out for Donovan at last August’s Philly International comp. such a joy to watch, and I feel like I have been “in the know” this year.:cool:

If Jason does end up in So Cal, maybe Donovan can train with him? Closer to México than a lot of other places. :) With some Misha choreo? And while I’m on a pipe dream, go to Champéry to train some spins with Lambiel and Deniss?

A girl can dream:biggrin:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
This Worlds has been hard for me, I'm missing Javi so much... Donovan was one of the few joys I had. Congrats Donovan, I'm so happy for him!!
I hope he can give us more joys the following seasons. Way to go Donovan!!

eriecold

On the Ice
This Worlds has been hard for me, I'm missing Javi so much... Donovan was one of the few joys I had. Congrats Donovan, I'm so happy for him!!
I hope he can give us more joys the following seasons. Way to go Donovan!!

We'll always miss Javi

eriecold

On the Ice
Let's make a meme of Donovan and make it viral! What he accomplished today is highly remarkable

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Thought I would add Donovan's quick quotes here.

I’m proud of what I did because it’s been a lot of work back home in Mexico and then to do this in an ISU World
Championships is just „wow“. I am the second skater from Mexico to compete at Worlds and it feels amazing,
especially because Mexico is not a figure skating country. Being here is such a big accomplishment to be here, to have
qualified and got 2 personal best scores is the best that could have happened to me.
(On why he started skating) My sister started skated before me. I started because I liked a girl, and this was how I first
got in touch with the sport, but with the time I fell in love with the sport. I was also in gymnastics before so I have the
precondition for figure skating. My biggest goal is to go to the Olympics and represent Mexico and of course to always
improve my points in competitions. (On who he looks up to) one of my biggest inspirations is Javier Fernandez
because he is not from a figure skating country either but he is one of the best in the World and I would really like to
be like him in the future. Mexico has a lot of talented kids, but it’s sad that we don’t have such big rinks, and we need
to have more rinks, but we are working hard on that.

Given how many here are mentioning Javi and now that we know Javi is someone he looks upto... I think this has potential. Javi wants to start coaching... how many other elite level skaters are there that have Spanish as a first language. I think it could be a comfortable fit... and what a good looking Kiss and Cry!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Javi and Donovan! Sí Sí Sí:biggrin: I wonder if Donovan would have the backing to train in Spain?

And yes, it would give Deniss V. and Stéphane a run for their money as best looking KnC;)

eriecold

On the Ice
Yes, Javi and Donovan! Sí Sí Sí:biggrin: I wonder if Donovan would have the backing to train in Spain?

And yes, it would give Deniss V. and Stéphane a run for their money as best looking KnC;)

Is he moving back to Spain or staying in Canada? well, I mean, I'm sure he's gonna tour a lot right now.

eriecold

On the Ice
Thought I would add Donovan's quick quotes here.

I’m proud of what I did because it’s been a lot of work back home in Mexico and then to do this in an ISU World
Championships is just „wow“. I am the second skater from Mexico to compete at Worlds and it feels amazing,
especially because Mexico is not a figure skating country. Being here is such a big accomplishment to be here, to have
qualified and got 2 personal best scores is the best that could have happened to me.
(On why he started skating) My sister started skated before me. I started because I liked a girl, and this was how I first
got in touch with the sport, but with the time I fell in love with the sport. I was also in gymnastics before so I have the
precondition for figure skating. My biggest goal is to go to the Olympics and represent Mexico and of course to always
improve my points in competitions. (On who he looks up to) one of my biggest inspirations is Javier Fernandez
because he is not from a figure skating country either but he is one of the best in the World and I would really like to
be like him in the future. Mexico has a lot of talented kids, but it’s sad that we don’t have such big rinks, and we need
to have more rinks, but we are working hard on that.

Given how many here are mentioning Javi and now that we know Javi is someone he looks upto... I think this has potential. Javi wants to start coaching... how many other elite level skaters are there that have Spanish as a first language. I think it could be a comfortable fit... and what a good looking Kiss and Cry!

I wanna hug him so hard I may just call my sister, tell her to go to the rink and hug him so hard (of course, I don't think he's gonna be at the rink in at least a couple of weeks)

Grap74

On the Ice
Hello! I'm so proud of Donovan and what he's achieving! Hope he can be another Javi and that he gets the support that he needs. He's so talented and charismatic!

I just want to ask if somebody knows where can I find his WC FS? The only video that I found is blocked and I only got to see his SP! 😭

Thank you! ¡Viva Donovan 🇲🇽!

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Is he moving back to Spain or staying in Canada? well, I mean, I'm sure he's gonna tour a lot right now.

Javier is moving back to Spain, already has I think. The problem with that, or Donovan going anywhere which would be ideal tbh, is whether he has the funds for it or not. I don't know how things are there but how realistic is it that he could find a sponsor to cover for say 150K a year for at least 4 years? Javier would be good as he had many financial issues so he could probably give him a lot of advice on this front but really, I wonder if Donovan is even looking to get a foreign coach. Has he said anything at all?

eriecold

On the Ice
Javier is moving back to Spain, already has I think. The problem with that, or Donovan going anywhere which would be ideal tbh, is whether he has the funds for it or not. I don't know how things are there but how realistic is it that he could find a sponsor to cover for say 150K a year for at least 4 years? Javier would be good as he had many financial issues so he could probably give him a lot of advice on this front but really, I wonder if Donovan is even looking to get a foreign coach. Has he said anything at all?

As far as I know, he's very happy with Gregorio. Living in León can be very cheap and they live together (his family is 2 hrs away in Guadalajara), I don't know much he spends on rink time (pretty sure he has a nice deal with them), but I know that he did cover his trip to Taipei for 4CC and was not receiving any help at that point

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
As far as I know, he's very happy with Gregorio. Living in León can be very cheap and they live together (his family is 2 hrs away in Guadalajara), I don't know much he spends on rink time (pretty sure he has a nice deal with them), but I know that he did cover his trip to Taipei for 4CC and was not receiving any help at that point

Ah thank you!
It's a shame he isn't getting any help at all, that's just rotten :( He has the potential to do way better than this but I guess, at least he can skate and that sounds like a great set up for him. It does tell us though that going abroad seems unlikely then.

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Very happy for Donovan, two season best in the same event, wonderful and encouraging comments from the media that broadcast the events and achieve a total of 200 points without having triple axel or quads, Amazing!! :agree:

Sigue así Donovan!!! :cheer: