Donovan Carrillo | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Donovan Carrillo

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
The mens are not doing 12 jumps in the long program anymore?
Anyway, wow Donovan just wow! You really have impressed me so far this early in the season, according to the youtube video of his long program...
3a-2t!!!
3lz-3t!
3f-eu-3s!
3a< fall
3lz
2lo
2a

Great program! Spins were a little low compared to other competitions but the step sequence has more elements and transitions than before, he only needs to train the spins again to rotate as fast as before, and to train that 3a in the second half!, the 2lo was a rare mistake, I think he was tired.

Someone know what possition he finished here? I think he do it great!

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Congratulations Donovan! first man from mexico that wins a silver medal in an international figure skating competition I believe :yahoo:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations Donovan! first man from mexico that wins a silver medal in an international figure skating competition I believe :yahoo:

Yes he was 2nd. I threw him a chicken. He signed my skate. I am a happy person.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, an excellent outing for our skater, Donovan fans!

A few more points that may not come through on the vids (and thank God for fancams, I love them, but some things you obviously just can't tell). His jumping technique is improving every day, IMHO. Just the confidence with which he attacks them. And I do believe, although I could be wrong, that I saw an extra revolution or two in the 20 minute warmup skate? Of course, he stalks the 3A a little, but Donovan has so much charm that he can make up for it in the interpretation later:)

Both programs suit him to a T. He captures "In the Mood" with the jazz and dance tones, and the drama of "Aranjuez" (from the minute he started stretching his arms and following each movement with his eyes, captivating).

Of course, there are always areas for improvement.:). He did tire in the FS, by the second half he had noticeably slowed down, although still committed to the performance. But this is an issue that with conditioning and training can be improved.

Not strictly skating, Donovan was one of the most popular skaters there. The selfie lines were always long, people going up to him, stuffed chickens:laugh: (Moonvine, I saw Donovan as he was all packed up leaving the rink, he had your stuffy:thumbsup:) Very loud cheers. :hap10:

And if you hear loud "wooooos" during the fancams, that's probably me:laugh:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
thank you guys for the links and thank you El Henry for the reports. Donovan is improving a lot, still has some work to do but we are early in the season. i'm very happy for his medal, i hope he keeps working on stamina (and remember when to end his program :biggrin: we don't want him to do a Samohin, right?)

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
(and remember when to end his program :biggrin: we don't what him to do a Samohin, right?)
:laugh2::rofl: Looks like he was just too knackered to keep up the tempo towards the end, and he lagged behind the music. I am sure it is a matter of conditioning and he will get stronger as the season approaches, the second 3A was a brave attempt and with the pace of his improvement I am positive that it will become solid during the season!

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx to everyone for your reports. Little by little, Donovan is improving. And stamina can't be rushed. He'll get there. It's still early. Good for him for his 2nd place. Congrats!

I know TSL is not everyone's cup of tea, but with all the news there was this week, I was so excited that Donovan made this week's update. They were very impressed with him and described him as adorable, charming, effervescent, blossoming, and a fan favorite. They remarked that you could feel the adoration from the crowd, and they look forward to him finding his performance niche.

It made me laugh when they said the rink really should have taken down its Christmas decorations prior to the competition. Heck, I guess they're really late on that or they're really early for this year! :laugh:

MGstyle

Medalist
And that "Beware of flying objects" sign at the dead centre of the screen while the skaters did all sorts of aerial moves around it was rather comically ironic :laugh2:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those Christmas decorations have been up for maybe 2 years @ this point?

The "Beware of Flying Objects" used to say something like "Beware of Flying Pucks," or something like that. Someone would scratch out the "P" in "pucks" & change it to you know what! :rofl: So thankfully, they changed that.

moonvine, I really thought that was a stuffed duck. That's why I kept saying "Donovan, "el patito" (duckling)! Whatever, it was very thoughtful of you, & no doubt Donovan appreciated it. :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And that "Beware of flying objects" sign at the dead centre of the screen while the skaters did all sorts of aerial moves around it was rather comically ironic :laugh2:

The sign used to read Beware of Flying Pucks. We used to go to that competition with red sticky tape to repair the signs so there would not be obscenities all over Mr. Ski's photos and videos.

The rink capitulated. Thank you!

MGstyle

Medalist
Indeed @iluvtodd & @dorispulaski, I did imagine the sign must be all about flying pucks... ;) but then again, perhaps the sign may be a good idea also at major competitions, especially when Hanyu is present, "Beware of flying Poohs" like... :biggrin:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I thought it was a perfect excuse to throw stuffies!! The sign says to beware of them!

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Some articles about Donovan in Latin American press

El Publímetro Donovan Carrillo gets silver medal of figure skating in the United States https://www.publimetro.com.mx/mx/de...gue-plata-competencia-patinaje-artistico.html Donovan will soon be traveling to Oakville, Canada to be present at the Autumn Classic International 2019 from September 12 to 14, 2019.

UDGTV Donovan Carrillo wins silver medal at Philadelphia Summer Champs International Donovan Carrillo starts his 2019 - 2020 season with a silver medal and perfect triple Axel. http://udgtv.com/noticias/donovan-carrillo-medalla-plata-philadelphia-summer-champs-international/

Diario de México Donovan Carrillo takes the silver at the Philadelphia Summer Champs International The best Mexican artistic skater Donovan Carrillo hung the silver medal at the Philadelphia Summer Champs International, the first international competition of the 2019 - 2020 season performing a perfect triple Axel. https://www.diariodemexico.com/dono...n-la-philadelphia-summer-champs-international

:hap10:

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Yes! First international figure skating medal for Mexico :yahoo:

slightly off-topic: it seems that Javi's (August/September) seminar in Mexico has been postponed to February. (Instead Mirai Nagasu comes in September)... I think February might work better in case Donovan wants to attend though it has to be after 4CC...
It's interesting that behind this project Break the ice are also Meagan Duhamel and Bruno Marcotte...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, an excellent outing for our skater, Donovan fans!

A few more points that may not come through on the vids (and thank God for fancams, I love them, but some things you obviously just can't tell). His jumping technique is improving every day, IMHO. Just the confidence with which he attacks them. And I do believe, although I could be wrong, that I saw an extra revolution or two in the 20 minute warmup skate? Of course, he stalks the 3A a little, but Donovan has so much charm that he can make up for it in the interpretation later:)

Both programs suit him to a T. He captures "In the Mood" with the jazz and dance tones, and the drama of "Aranjuez" (from the minute he started stretching his arms and following each movement with his eyes, captivating).

Of course, there are always areas for improvement.:). He did tire in the FS, by the second half he had noticeably slowed down, although still committed to the performance. But this is an issue that with conditioning and training can be improved.

Not strictly skating, Donovan was one of the most popular skaters there. The selfie lines were always long, people going up to him, stuffed chickens:laugh: (Moonvine, I saw Donovan as he was all packed up leaving the rink, he had your stuffy:thumbsup:) Very loud cheers. :hap10:

And if you hear loud "wooooos" during the fancams, that's probably me:laugh:

I'm so glad he had my stuffy! He also signed my non-Gracie skate (ONLY Gracie can sign the Gracie skate). I have a flamingo, maybe I should save it for him for next year.:biggrin:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Donovan linked to an ISU Instastory where he was interviewed about his summer. En Español, conoce a Donovan Carrillo. :)

I understood maybe half. (Who am I kidding, less than half:biggrin: excluding the interviewer saying “increídible” after each answer).

Could any kind soul translate into English?