Donovan Carrillo | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Donovan Carrillo

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I think Donovan can still improve with Gregorio, but in a low rate, his next step is the triple axel and that's a difficult jump, so I don´t know if he can handdle it next season but I hope so, if only the goverment of my country will help him to get an international coach, but that's is almost impossible

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think Donovan can still improve with Gregorio, but in a low rate, his next step is the triple axel and that's a difficult jump, so I don´t know if he can handdle it next season but I hope so, if only the goverment of my country will help him to get an international coach, but that's is almost impossible

I am sure he can still improve, but if his goal is to make the Olympics, as you say the rate might be too low. If he is happy where he is he certainly has much to offer in his current situation. But I do think he could go farther in other locations. Heck for that matter his coach can likely go farther with better facilities as well.

Really if he wants to move, i suspect there are coaches who would take him on and help him find sponsors. But we just don't know if that is what Donovan wants.

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Jorge Camacho has published a short note El heraldo de México calling on the authorities and the private sponsors, says that "Donovan Carrillo is in the hands of a Mexican trainer, Gregorio Núñez, who accidentally discovered him on a skating rink where the Donovan's sister practiced, a Mexican building another Mexican, let's not let his career be diluted" :cheer2:

Article: https://heraldodemexico.com.mx/opinion/llego-patinandose-ejemplo-de-lucha/
He came skating ... Example of struggle: "The tenacity of young Donovan Carrillo can be inspiration and a reason to continue working"

Since we mentioned Dafne (Donovan's sister) in Donovan's IG story there is a curious pic of both, in Mexico ;)

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Some articles on Donovan :hap10: :

Primera Plana Noticias: Donovan Carrillo, the young Mexican skater who made history, without support: "Before going to the Pre-Olympic and the World CHampionships, I went to the institutions of Jalisco and Guanajuato, and in the State of Jalisco they gave me long, they tell me that they will support me, but the resource is never seen, in Guanajuato they told me that they could not support me at the moment ", https://primeraplananoticias.mx/por...tinador-mexicano-que-hizo-historia-sin-apoyo/

La Afición: The best skater in history in Mexico, without support, "I met one of my main goals was to improve my personal brand, reaching 200 points, that made me very happy, my coach and me, because we know that we are on the right path", http://laaficion.milenio.com/masafi...yo-instituciones-deportivas_0_1154284562.html

MarcaClaro (with a small video interview): Donovan Carrillo: "Now we prepare for Beijing 2022", "It has been difficult, but it doesn't discourage me (not having support), I have continued working hard to fulfill my goals and dreams. We are preparing for Beijing in 2022", http://www.marca.com/claro-mx/otros-deportes/2018/04/06/5ac6f71a46163f3b128b45d5.html

:cheer:

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
I dare to upload an exclusive post for this beautiful article by Manuel Sebreros on the website of Reporte Indigo :) :

Donovan Carrillo "Is born from the heart" https://www.reporteindigo.com/fan/l...ico-donovan-carrillo-deporte-musica-mexicana/

Donovan Carrillo has achieved, with the executions of his programs with music by Juan Gabriel, that the Mexican figure skating have a competitive representative in world tournaments, "We have always looked for Mexican music to be heard in other parts of the world and people have heard it. received very well, most love it".

"What we are going to look for in this time before starting the season that follows are leaps of greater difficulty, a triple Axel and the quadruple jumps, with the aim of looking to raise more points, increase and my personal mark and rise in the world ranking" Recognizes Carrillo.

To make a difference, Donovan works every day six hours in his programs, through a plan that includes four hours on ice rink and two hours for physical conditioning and ballet and dance sessions. Donovan grew up listening to the songs of 'Divo de Juárez' because his mother is a fan of the artist, so as a tribute to her and the singer he chose the song 'Hasta que te conocí' and soon he could include another one of the greatest hits of Alberto Aguilera Valadez. "I really like the song 'Ya lo sé que tú te vas', probably this song is my next program for the next year," says the skater.

For Donovan Carrillo, Mexico will have in the near future two skaters in the elite of this sport, since in the feminine part, the young Andrea Montesinos, of 15 years, has stood out in his participation in the junior world championships. :hap57:

Historically, Mexico has had two male Olympic ice skaters Walbe Olavarrieta (Calgary 1988) and Ricardo Olavarrieta (Albertville 1992), Donovan could become the third. Possible song for new FS "Ya lo sé que tú te vas": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHV2dIDfEZ0

:dance3:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Maryeli, thank you for the lovely article and your translation. My Spanish reading comprehension is only serviceable, and your translation helps so much:clap:

I hope that these articles and some of this publicity helps Donovan get much deserved support and figure skating better publicity in Mexico!:agree:

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Article: "Looking back at Milan: New kids on the block" https://isu.org/inside-single-pair-...-milan-new-kids-on-the-block?templateParam=15 The participation of 7 skaters was highlighted, one of them, Donovan. The videos are also cute.

Newcomer Donovan Carrillo (MEX) placed 22nd in his Worlds debut and is probably the first Mexican man to reach the final at an ISU World Championship. “I’m proud of what I did because it’s been a lot of work back home in Mexico and then to do this in an ISU World Championship is just „wow“. It feels amazing, especially because Mexico is not a figure skating country. Being here is such a big accomplishment to be here, to have qualified and got two personal best scores is the best that could have happened to me,” Donovan shared.

:yahoo:

Grap74

On the Ice
Thanks for sharing @maryeli! I'm so proud of Donovan, he's such a hard working and talented guy!

It's a shame he's not receiving any support from the government or hasn't received any sponsorship but we all know that in Mexico if it's not soccer or boxing, nobody will care 😔, which is a shame.

Still, we'll support him no matter what!

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I have to admit I noticed Donovan for the first time during the WC this year and I immediately fall in love with his skating. He brings so much joy to the viewers and is very charming. :luv17:

Maybe you'd be interested in reactions of our TV commentator. He was commentating with Tomáš Verner and before the SP they both were quite sceptical and wondered how it was possible that he reached the TES without having a 3A and they weren't expecting anything special. But after the SP they were completely fascinated and were like "he really can reach such a high TES even without 3A". And our usually very impartial commentator was so much rooting for him to advance into the FP.
During the FP he said he owed Donovan an apology for initially underestimating him and that he hopes we see him at Worlds again next year. And then he even said: "He just needs the 3A and he's ready to fight with the big guns."

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Those spins! :love:

I have to admit I noticed Donovan for the first time during the WC this year and I immediately fall in love with his skating. He brings so much joy to the viewers and is very charming. :luv17:

Maybe you'd be interested in reactions of our TV commentator. He was commentating with Tomáš Verner and before the SP they both were quite sceptical and wondered how it was possible that he reached the TES without having a 3A and they weren't expecting anything special. But after the SP they were completely fascinated and were like "he really can reach such a high TES even without 3A". And our usually very impartial commentator was so much rooting for him to advance into the FP.
During the FP he said he owed Donovan an apology for initially underestimating him and that he hopes we see him at Worlds again next year. And then he even said: "He just needs the 3A and he's ready to fight with the big guns."

Thank you so much for sharing the reaction of your commentating team. I think it is wonderful how many skating hearts Donovan touched at Worlds this year, and let's hope it continues. I do hope he gets some of the support from Mexican goverment he needs to advance his training:pray:

Grap74

On the Ice

Thanks for sharing, your post made me so happy! 😊

I also hope he gets the support he needs and keeps up with his good work! He definitely has charisma and talent!!!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I wonder if Donovan, if he doesn't want to change coaches, would consider going to a summer camp abroad to improve? It wouldn't be as expensive and he could really get something good out of them :)

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Donovan has shared on his IG story and facebook a photo with one of his new suits for the 2018-2019 season (black and white), he will also have two free presentations on ice rinks in his country (I would like to be in Mexico) :love:

YuzuOnIce

On the Ice
I wonder if Donovan, if he doesn't want to change coaches, would consider going to a summer camp abroad to improve? It wouldn't be as expensive and he could really get something good out of them :)

I was thinking if he could maybe do Javier Fernandez' camp, I mean Brian and Tracy are teaching too, plus it'd be much easier in a Spanish-speaking environment (even though he seems to have no problems with English, it's still easier)

Donovan has shared on his IG story and facebook a photo with one of his new suits for the 2018-2019 season (black and white), he will also have two free presentations on ice rinks in his country (I would like to be in Mexico) :love:

Aw, looks nice! (Saved it here for the latecomers)

maryeli

On the Ice
Country
Peru
Aw, looks nice! (Saved it here for the latecomers)

Thanks YuzuOnIce :thank:

I found this article: http://amqueretaro.com/deportes/2018/04/29/complicado-ser-patinador-en-mexico-donovan-carrillo Donovan has just finished high school and will take a gap year to improve his skills in skating, once again it is highlighted that he doesn't have support from his country, he requests more difussion of figure skating in the media Mexicans (and not just focus on soccer)

Donovan is quite realistic, before thinking about the possibility of a podium he is worried about improving his scores and achieving better results in international events (4cc, worlds, etc.) to rise in the world ranking.

Go go Donovan :cheer:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
I was thinking if he could maybe do Javier Fernandez' camp, I mean Brian and Tracy are teaching too, plus it'd be much easier in a Spanish-speaking environment (even though he seems to have no problems with English, it's still easier)

Tbh when I wrote it, I was thinking of the exact same thing :biggrin:

once again it is highlighted that he doesn't have support from his country, he requests more difussion of figure skating in the media Mexicans (and not just focus on soccer)
:

Our ever present issue :palmf: we have great athletes in taekwondo, diving, marching, box and now Donovan is a brilliant promise for figure skating...yet all we think about is soccer :no:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Guess who is the cover the supplement for Mother's Day in "Milenio" :luv17:

https://services.epaper.milenio.com/mil/Nacional/MAD/20180508/thumbs/0.jpg

MOTHER'S DAY: YOUR MOST BIG FAN, five stories of unconditional support, because it does not matter in which area the children develop, the mothers will always be there

PS: Donovan also shared it in his IG story :agree:

Yes! Milenio is a pretty well known paper in Mexico, so I am do glad he is on the cover...and at the center! I have to try and find it this week :yes: