2018-2019 State of Japanese Men's Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 State of Japanese Men's Skating

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Urgh, poor Sota, he'll have to scrape his way back from the bottom of the pile little by little. The Fed are definitely not making his recovery easier; I imagine the treatment has to cost an awful lot of money. I hope he has a good sponsor or something... and if a GoFundMe page for him pops up, I hope I get wind of it. It's got to sting to be the only one from Japanese Nats top 10 to be on the B list. In a way I can understand their reasoning (result based I suppose), but at the same time I can't. He's got so much potential if the treatment goes well. Glad to see Ryuju is not retiring yet, I was a bit worried when I couldn't see his name in any shows.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes poor Sota. But it's already good that he's in B list. At the start of the season we didn't even if he will be able to compete. In October-November the guy was doing only single jumps and now has recovered all the triples but the axel. it's amazing.
Next season maybe he will have some challengers and will get the points he needs to get back JSF favors.

surimi

Record Breaker
Afterthought, does that mean no funding for Koshiro Shimada? :no:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The fight for the third spot is now only between Keiji and Kazuki.

surimi

Record Breaker
^ It's a fight I look foward to a lot. I hope both are healthy in the upcoming season. Can Mitsuki be a threat for the third spot if he goes senior, I wonder? I don't follow him much so I don't know if he has a quad...

lady_bee

Medalist
^ Don't forget Sota Yamamoto, although he's not fully recovered yet.
I saw his new SP, Air on G string, last week in Nagano, and it was breathtakingly beautiful:love:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I saw his new SP, Air on G string, last week in Nagano, and it was breathtakingly beautiful:love:

Sota needs first to recover at least his 3A. And i'm not sure that i want to see him attempt a 3A yet.
For the moment, he can be competitive in PCS but not in TES.

surimi

Record Breaker

I agree with yume's reply - as much as I'm a fan, top 3 is not realistic at this point. Both Keiji and Kazuki have 3A, 4T and 4S, so they should be safe. But top 6 might be realistic, if he's careful and doesn't rush. I don't want a repeat of summer 2016, which also started very promisingly with a show. -_-

But what I really wanted to say: there's so little information online, it would be great if you could share your thoughts on the Nagano performance in Sota's fanfest thread. I'd be happy to read it as I've only relied on google-translated snippets so far. Lucky you, to have been there! :luv17: ^_^

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm surprised Hiroaki Sato got a GP spot, but good for him! So there will be 5 Japanese men in GPs with the host pick at NHK.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm surprised Hiroaki Sato got a GP spot, but good for him! So there will be 5 Japanese men in GPs with the host pick at NHK.

Regardless of his placements (gotta keep my expectations in check), Hiroaki Sato brings a lot of joy to any event with his exuberant programs. I'm happy he gets a GP. :rock:

surimi

Record Breaker
Good to hear Hiroaki's back, I quite enjoyed his enthusiasm and energy last season. I'm quite nervous about the TBD NHK spot at this point. I have two favorites I want to get it, and there could always be an as-of-yet-unannounced move into seniors (IDK about Sena, but both Mitsuki and Tatsuya are good enough to get it IMO).

Do you know who choreographed the SP? I'm curious.

It was done by Kenji Miyamoto.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
Shun Sato just performed his new SP (Maksim's version of Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence) at Aqua Cup Figure Skating Competition scoring 66.34.
According to fans tweeting reports from the arena, he cleanly jumped 3A, 3Lz3T, 3F with both the combo and Flip in the 2nd half of his SP.
His expression and spins are also said to have improved from last season.

https://twitter.com/Matsu10_4/status/1013018348299272193
https://twitter.com/yugo0527/status/1013018352820805632
https://twitter.com/satosysk8/status/1013018056602210304

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I just saw that report about little Shun. Bloody brilliant.

I do think I am most excited about hearing about the spins because I was having apoplexy fits last season about what he was doing with those! :laugh: