Nathan Chen and University: A Yalie? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen and University: A Yalie?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan will likely defer. When (if) he does enroll, he probably has AP credit and can take a reduced course load.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Congrats to Nathan for slaying the college admissions process and getting into Yale!

Also, why is this thread so down? I haven't heard any news from Nathan himself about r*****thing or taking time off for skating. On the other hand, it would be more likely that Yale make accomodations towards his skating. But reading this thread, towards the end, it sounds more like Nathan will accomodate than the other way around.

It's probably just the concept of what he wants to do and how intense everyone knows it is. Even in the Australian system where you don't have to go get an undergrad first medicine is still like 6 years + 1 residency. In other words, Nathan will still be working on this degree after the next Olympics, too! And everyone knows medicine is *intense*.

I'm certainly not assuming he'll r-word or take time off, but I can see why others might think he will. (Or might hope he will.)

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Nathan will likely defer. When (if) he does enroll, he probably has AP credit and can take a reduced course load.

AP credit only covers so much and deferal only lasts a year. A quad is 4 years. What will he do for the other three years and especially 2022?

siena

Rinkside
If he was really intending to defer I don’t know if he’d put Yale ‘22 on his bio. That’s a pretty definite, 4 year away graduation date.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I'm also in the group that's wondering why some forumers are down with Nathan's career when he does University.
Lots of athletes do that.
Yale doesnt allow online classes at all?
Or deferment? Skating, unlike some other sports, has off season where the athlete can continue studies.

Although in my country, the national athletes defer a lot. Like study 1 yr, defer 2 years. Normal students graduate at 23 or 24, a world champion and Olympic silver medalist from my country still haven't graduate at 29.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If he was really intending to defer I don’t know if he’d put Yale ‘22 on his bio. That’s a pretty definite, 4 year away graduation date.

Because that's the class he was accepted into. He isn't bound by what he puts on his bio. He can still defer(and probably will).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
AP credit only covers so much and deferal only lasts a year. A quad is 4 years. What will he do for the other three years and especially 2022?

AP credit can cover a whole year of study, depending on what the school allows.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
As far as I know, Yale allows for a limited number of online classes and deferment. I think it is likely that the school would try to accommodate Nathan’s special circumstances as much possible.

As always, a thread on Nathan brings out the feelings of fear and doubt in some. We don’t really know enough about his plans at this point to make conclusions about how his enrollment at college will affect his skating, the amount of time or years he will be taking off from competition, or how long it will take him to complete his degree.

Wishing Nathan the best at Yale! He’s certainly defied expectations in the past, and will continue to do so.

Utsprek

Spectator
Nathan had already announced that he is taking a gap year this year. Congrats on Yale to Nathan. I love his skating. Especially loved the opening moves in the SP. I’m particularly glad that he did the six quad program this year while it is still allowed. I would go full out this year for skating, then do mostly Yale next school year. Then reconsider the following year. GoNathan!

Xen

Rinkside
It's probably just the concept of what he wants to do and how intense everyone knows it is. Even in the Australian system where you don't have to go get an undergrad first medicine is still like 6 years + 1 residency. In other words, Nathan will still be working on this degree after the next Olympics, too! And everyone knows medicine is *intense*.

I'm certainly not assuming he'll r-word or take time off, but I can see why others might think he will. (Or might hope he will.)

I think he's already weighed the issue seriously and will take what path he deems necessary. Like the gap year people above mentioned, and AP credits. It might be deferred matriculation, it might be deferred graduation. I also don't think Yale would tell someone not to go for an olympics medal, because that would help drive alumni fund raising, so I imagine there must be something in it for him (if he got accepted by Yale, I would find it funny if no other ivy accepted him).

As for the R* word-well I'm a fan of at least one of his competitors, and frankly, I didn't see this type of thinking even. Nathan's a brilliant person, I'm sure he'll do fine.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
AP test scores (and I have no clue about Nathan’s AP results) can be used for acceleration credit at Yale - to complete a degree in less than 8 terms.

http://catalog.yale.edu/first-year-...ration-credit-advanced-placement-test-scores/

While AP credits do not count towards pre-med science requirements, if Nathan is planning on majoring in biology (as he mentioned in the past), he wouldn’t have a problem fulfilling these requirements.

andromache

Record Breaker
Don't want to get into a debate, but nothing on that Yale page re med school contradicts what jenaj said.

If we're being semantic, you're right, but in the spirit of what is intended by this conversation, not quite.

Most medical schools require one year each of biology, physics, chemistry, and organic chemistry with laboratories. Most schools further require a year of college level mathematics and English. An Advanced Placement course from high school is not a substitute for any of these, but may be used to qualify for a higher level course in a particular department.

It is important to emphasize that while Advanced Placement courses may satisfy requirements to earn a MB&B degree, these do not substitute for the general requirements for medical schools stated above. For instance, if a student places out of Introductory Biology and Biology Lab with a sufficient score on an Advanced Placement Exam, the student must still take a course in Biology (a higher level course) while in college to satisfy the medical school biology requirement.

While AP credit can theoretically cover a whole year of study, this is highly unlikely to apply for Nathan's attendance at Yale, assuming he wishes to attend med school. As lilahozi pointed out, elite universities and pre-med requirements are both factors that make AP credits much less generous than they would be at less-elite universities and less-stringent fields of study.

ETA: And while it is still theoretically possible to take an overload of courses, summer courses, etc. in order to meet degree requirements AND med school requirements in three years at Yale, the time needed to prepare for the MCAT + to gain extracurricular experiences in the medical field make it less and less likely that Nathan will be able to skip a year of school at Yale thanks to his AP credits.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
AP test scores (and I have no clue about Nathan’s AP results) can be used for acceleration credit at Yale - to complete a degree in less than 8 terms.

http://catalog.yale.edu/first-year-...ration-credit-advanced-placement-test-scores/

While AP credits do not count towards pre-med science requirements, if Nathan is planning on majoring in biology (as he mentioned in the past), he wouldn’t have a problem fulfilling these requirements.

Yes. :agree:

If we're being semantic, you're right, but in the spirit of what is intended by this conversation, not quite.

While AP credit can theoretically cover a whole year of study, this is highly unlikely to apply for Nathan's attendance at Yale, assuming he wishes to attend med school. As lilahozi pointed out, elite universities and pre-med requirements are both factors that make AP credits much less generous than they would be at less-elite universities and less-stringent fields of study.

You're missing the point -- and it is not just semantics.

Continue to disagree.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
High probability Chen might drop pre med track anyways, like 50%+ of enrollees.

Premed is one of the most popular majors that ppl declare and then switch out of.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Nathan hasn't even done his first term at Yale, let the kid do his thing before debating whether he'll still want to do pre-med or not in 3-4 years!

andromache

Record Breaker
High probability Chen might drop pre med track anyways, like 50%+ of enrollees.

Premed is one of the most popular majors that ppl declare and then switch out of.

Pre-med isn't really a track or major at Yale. You can pretty much study whatever and major in whatever as long as you reach your med school reqs and can pass the MCAT (which does basically require a ton of science, but yeah).