Nathan Chen and University: A Yalie? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen and University: A Yalie?

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
I went to a top 10 private college and got AP English course credit, so you might be right about Yale, but you are not right in general. AP credits/test scores are also not considered for admissions, in general. And they are called credits for a reason--because they can be accepted as college credit. You also don't need APs to skip out of foreign language. I placed out of the language requirement based on the SAT achievement test and most schools offer their own placement tests.

I was a recruiter.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Your source for that? AP credit is usually just that--course credit. Every school has its own policies, but in general, AP credit can be used to graduate earlier or to take a reduced course load.

"General" is the operative word here. Many on here are talking about "specific", namely elite colleges and universities.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
And we're talking about Yale specifically. I don't know why this debate is still going on. I believe it's been answered. Based on what I read here and what I read online on Yale's website, it looks like Nathan can't just skip a year (cumulatively-speaking) based on AP credits (if he has any), he'll have a course load minimum for every term, and we all know that within the four year period, he's going to be taking some time-consuming and intense classes.

I read that Phil Hersh states an article will be out soon that might detail what Chen's plans are, but as he's still trying to work out the logistics, we will see if that article will come any time soon.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
The article is already up on icenetwork, and I wouldn’t say it answers any of the burning questions.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And we're talking about Yale specifically. I don't know why this debate is still going on. I believe it's been answered. Based on what I read here and what I read online on Yale's website, it looks like Nathan can't just skip a year (cumulatively-speaking) based on AP credits (if he has any), he'll have a course load minimum for every term, and we all know that within the four year period, he's going to be taking some time-consuming and intense classes.

I read that Phil Hersh states an article will be out soon that might detail what Chen's plans are, but as he's still trying to work out the logistics, we will see if that article will come any time soon.

I agree this discussion has gone off the rails but this article quotes a Yale registrar who explains how students can use AP
credits to graduate early. http://www.dartblog.com/data/2013/01/010624.php It also discusses policies at other Ivies, most of which do grant credit in varying circumstances.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I agree this discussion has gone off the rails but this article quotes a Yale registrar who explains how students can use AP
credits to graduate early. http://www.dartblog.com/data/2013/01/010624.php It also discusses policies at other Ivies, most of which do grant credit in varying circumstances.

I know that he can get AP credit to accelerate graduation, but that just means taking the same course load (plus taking more on) to graduate within 6-7 semesters as opposed to the 8, which is sort of the opposite of Nathan wants to do. I think he can use the AP credits to take more than one 3-course minimum required semester but 3 courses is still a lot depending on the classes. I also don't know how many AP credits to see how many 3-course minimum semesters he can take.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Raf called Nathan “his baby.” Sometimes he manages to reveal what a softie he really is.

:luv17: :ghug:

Hope it works out for Nathan to continue with Raf in some capacity.

BA '00, PhD '08. ...

... "Acceleration" is one of those quirky Yale-specific terms, so it may be causing a bit of confusion. If you have enough AP credits (generally with a score of 4 or 5 on the exam), once you've completed three semesters at Yale, you can declare that you'd like to graduate either one or two semesters early: you accelerate.

... Yale is unusually restrictive in how those AP credits can accelerate your graduation. Basically, they reduce the number of electives you take, and the number of courses in your language requirement. If you use AP credits to accelerate, you end up with a more focused educational experience centered on your major and your distributional requirements.

The Yale-specific comments that address the most pertinent (IMO) points are those above from ribbit, who is a Yale alum.

... AP credit is usually just that--course credit. Every school has its own policies, but in general, AP credit can be used to graduate earlier or to take a reduced course load.

And ribbit's Yale-specific comments align with jenaj's not-Yale-specific comments.

Meanwhile:
AFAIK, Nathan has not said how many semesters -- 8, 7, or 6 -- he wants to spend as a Yale undergrad. (Not to mention that AFAIK, we do not know what AP results he has, if any.)
So this entire discussion has not been Nathan-specific.​

ETA:
As a Yale alumna, Nathan's agent has a far more important ;) aspect of student life on her mind:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhIKOMel0Iq/?taken-by=yukisaegusa (Apr 3)​

Barb

Record Breaker
his ISU bio says he trains 23-30h/week, do you think he can continue like that? how many hours a day do you think he will have of classes? 3-4h? On average, how many hours per day does a Yale pre-med student study (out of class)? Of course we must assume that he will have absolutely no social life because I suppose he will only want to sleep in his spare time :(. By the way, Yuzu bio says he practices 14h/ week :scratch2: maybe it is only on ice and Nathan included on and off ice training.

frida80

Record Breaker
his ISU bio says he trains 23-30h/week, do you think he can continue like that? how many hours a day do you think he will have of classes? 3-4h? On average, how many hours per day does a Yale pre-med student study (out of class)? Of course we must assume that he will have absolutely no social life because I suppose he will only want to sleep in his spare time :(. By the way, Yuzu bio says he practices 14h/ week :scratch2: maybe it is only on ice and Nathan included on and off ice training.

Yeah... At my peak stupidity in college, I was committed to a nightmare schedule. This included:

Four classes I.e. A full load
Two part time classes at a community college (so I could meet my requirements sooner)
A part-time job at 15 hours a week
Another part time job at 20+ hours a week
Student government
State level student government
Two dance classes
2 more clubs
The extra jobs were to pay for a international student immersion course that I was too proud to ask my parents to pay for because I wanted to prove I was independent.

Trust me, when I went back to just 1 school, part-time work and a more moderate schedule I was fine.

Nathan will be fine he just needs to practice time management. Most skater kids have been doing this all their lives.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Yeah... At my peak stupidity in college, I was committed to a nightmare schedule. This included:

Four classes I.e. A full load
Two part time classes at a community college (so I could meet my requirements sooner)
A part-time job at 15 hours a week
Another part time job at 20+ hours a week
Student government
State level student government
Two dance classes
2 more clubs
The extra jobs were to pay for a international student immersion course that I was too proud to ask my parents to pay for because I wanted to prove I was independent.

Trust me, when I went back to just 1 school, part-time work and a more moderate schedule I was fine.

Nathan will be fine he just needs to practice time management. Most skater kids have been doing this all their lives.

IMO It's important not to compare apples and oranges.

A student at an Ivy university would simply have no time for all that. Minimum 3 hours of prep for every hour of class will be expected, with maybe 4 hours average. Do the math: it's 50+ hours just for prep. More for a seminar. Then there are science labs, sometimes twice a week: that's 6 hours plus prep. I had to write 17 papers one undergrad semester, in addition to the regular class prep and exams. Then there's work study if you're lucky enough to have it....

But also refer back to my earlier post on Katherine Healy.....

frida80

Record Breaker
IMO It's important not to compare apples and oranges.

A student at an Ivy university would simply have no time for all that. Minimum 3 hours of prep for every hour of class will be expected, with maybe 4 hours average. Do the math: it's 50+ hours just for prep. More for a seminar. Then there are science labs, sometimes twice a week: that's 6 hours plus prep. I had to write 17 papers one undergrad semester, in addition to the regular class prep and exams. Then there's work study if you're lucky enough to have it....

I never said they would have time for my crap. My point was with proper time management you can accomplish a lot more than what you believe you can. Nathan will focus on school and skating only. No clubs, fraternities, or jobs. He's planning on taking online courses and can adjust his schedule as necessary. There are 168 hours in a week. 30+50 is 80. That's more than enough time to study, train, and sleep. I'm a workaholic so trust me, it's possible.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Christina Gao was able to manage Harvard and skating, so I think Nathan can manage Yale and skating. I’m happy for him! I just hope he can train properly and not have a falling out with Raf(although Raf seemed happy for him).

schizoanalyst

Medalist
I never said they would have time for my crap. My point was with proper time management you can accomplish a lot more than what you believe you can. Nathan will focus on school and skating only. No clubs, fraternities, or jobs. He's planning on taking online courses and can adjust his schedule as necessary. There are 168 hours in a week. 30+50 is 80. That's more than enough time to study, train, and sleep. I'm a workaholic so trust me, it's possible.

Agreed! I really don't know if Chen wants to continue or not, but I really don't understand the argument that it's not doable. I think it would be extremely challenging, but elite athletes are already weird people who are fine forgoing a lot.

Also, in my experience, the amount of time commitment needed is really major-dependent and highly idiosyncratic. If I polled some friends, I'd guess it would sit around ~50 hours/week outside of finals or paper crunch time, but that number can easily range from 20-70 hours depending on the person. Without knowing Chen or his time management strategies it's pretty much impossible to say anything useful.

frida80

Record Breaker
Agreed! I really don't know if Chen wants to continue or not, but I really don't understand the argument that it's not doable. I think it would be extremely challenging, but elite athletes are already weird people who are fine forgoing a lot.

Also, in my experience, the amount of time commitment needed is really major-dependent and highly idiosyncratic. If I polled some friends, I'd guess it would sit around ~50 hours/week outside of finals or paper crunch time, but that number can easily range from 20-70 hours depending on the person. Without knowing Chen or his time management strategies it's pretty much impossible to say anything useful.

Nathan is a planner. No doubt about that. This last two seasons have been insane. In between CoR and SA, Nathan visited the OTC, did promotions for Kellogg’s, Bridgestone, NBC, USOC, and a commercial for United. He was flying all over the place to make these commitments and didn’t lose a competition in between. What I did get from Nathan is that he’s planning on adjusting his schedule to make it more flexible. That includes online classes. If he takes a few summer classes, he can also reduce his fall course load. There’s a lot of ways to make this work for him if he’s committed to planning ahead and managing his time well.

Manuel Pablo Arnao

Figure Skating Fan & Real Estate Agent in LA!
On the Ice
Oh god, no. University can wait, figure skating can't. You're only in your prime for so long. He should be focusing on skating right now without outside distractions, at lease until the next Olympics. This reminds me of Michelle Kwan who's wasn't as dominant and whose programs/choreography weren't as good after enrolling at UCLA. I love Michelle but keeping it real.

Mamamiia

Medalist
Having an onsite rink is still a huge advantage. If you look at Google, the rink operates from 9am to 8pm and is closed on weekends.

Ingalls Rink
73 Sachem St, New Haven, CT 06511
(203) 432-0876 https://g.co/kgs/to3acf.

Only if they could hire one person to operate the rink some extra hours, say 6-9am to accommodate Nathan's personal training, enough ice time is almost guaranteed. Even better, he doesn't have to share the ice. Nathan can still find plenty of time during the day for his off ice training. As long as he's provided with right resources and good planning, I think double duty is quite achievable.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Having an onsite rink is still a huge advantage. If you look at Google, the rink operates from 9am to 8pm and is closed on weekends. Ingalls Rink

73 Sachem St, New Haven, CT 06511
(203) 432-0876 https://g.co/kgs/to3acf. Only if they can hire a person to operate the rink some extra hours, say 6-9am to accommodate Nathan's personal training, enough ice time is almost guaranteed. Even better, he doesn't have to share ice. Nathan can still find plenty of time during the day for his off ice training. As long as he's provided with right resources and good planning, I think double duty is quite achievable.

I think it is good but not enough for competing at the top level though. Ultimately I think Nathan will have to make a choice. But so impressive to be so athletic AND academical, he is really one of the kind!

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Christina Gao was able to manage Harvard and skating, so I think Nathan can manage Yale and skating. I’m happy for him! I just hope he can train properly and not have a falling out with Raf(although Raf seemed happy for him).

Christina Gao was never a top competitor. Plus, she dropped skating halfway through.