Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Thread: 2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolstoj View Post
    i'm more confident with Mozalev than Gumennik and Danielian: he's only 15 but already has the 4T so he can work on other quads while staying in juniors, and his jumping technique reminds me of Javi, with great running edge and using the knees on the landings. Artistically he can still improve a lot but he's not nearly as bad as Samarin, also i don't know much about the coaching team.

Gumennik could really be a superstar: he has charisma, great posture and he's a performer, and you can see with the spins and cool combinations like the 3A-3lo that he always wants to show something unique, but if it is true that parents pushed for the coaching change because Mishin was trying to work with him on "scary jumps" like quads, then i don't know how he can stay competitive in seniors without quads. I suppose he will try those with a slow entry like he does for the Axel going for the elevation instead of the ice coverage (similar to what Nam Nguyen does), we need to see it first.

Danielian is still super young, 14 years old means he will stay in juniors for other 3-4 seasons competing with Gogolev and again no quads (which is totally fine given the age but we have to see those at some point)
    Gumennik is training 4S, so I don't think his parents forbade quads for the rest of his natural life. Maybe they wanted to wait when he was a bit older? He still looks like a kid even now at 16. I wonder if anyone has seen his parents, is he likely to grow much taller?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vorravorra View Post
    Gumennik is training 4S, so I don't think his parents forbade quads for the rest of his natural life. Maybe they wanted to wait when he was a bit older? He still looks like a kid even now at 16. I wonder if anyone has seen his parents, is he likely to grow much taller?
    I remember reading that they had left because Mishin was hardly there because he was going to shows all the time and he focuses more on his star pupils - Liza and whoever he has at the moment (Kostner?). I remember Gumennik and Nugumanova both left at the same time.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by linkintank View Post
    I remember reading that they had left because Mishin was hardly there because he was going to shows all the time and he focuses more on his star pupils - Liza and whoever he has at the moment (Kostner?). I remember Gumennik and Nugumanova both left at the same time.
    No, Mishin kicked them out. For sure Liza, Petr I will have to double check. He gave an interview and/or Tatiana Flade mentioned it on FSU . Liza because she was not working hard enough and because of her mother and Petr was something, I want to say it was his mother but I would have to search for that article.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    No, Mishin kicked them out. For sure Liza, Petr I will have to double check. He gave an interview and/or Tatyana Flade mentioned it on FSU . Liza because she was not working hard enough and because of her mother and Petr was something, I want to say it was his mother but I would have to search for that article.
    Found it. Tatyana Flade post on FSU: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/thr...5/post-5086088

When I was in Tartu I talked to Mishin and he told me that he did not take Lisa Nugumanova and Petr Gummenik to the training camp because of disciplinary reasons. According to him, Lisa was not listening anymore and she and her mother thought apparently she is a big star. As for Petia, he said that the mother is a problem ("skating mom").
    Now the post quoted by Flade does say according to Liza she left on her own but didn't explain. So maybe Mishin disciplined them, didn't take them to camp, and then they decided to leave. Following the thread there was on going issues with Liza from December too, so.....

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by RemyRose View Post
    Found it. Tatyana Flade post on FSU: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/thr...5/post-5086088
    Now the post quoted by Flade does say according to Liza she left on her own but didn't explain. So maybe Mishin disciplined them, didn't take them to camp, and then they decided to leave. Following the thread there was on going issues with Liza from December too, so.....
    Wasn't it because they got some extra coaching on the side from Daineko and Mishin didn't like it? Or at least it was the last straw. Both originally went to Daineko, but Liza left after Daineko decided to concentrate on boys while only preparing girls for pairs.

1 Not allowed!
    Whatever the case, I'm grateful to Mishin for setting Petr free. And also for refusing to take Dima when he asked years ago. I would have hated to see them turn out like Petrov, Dmitriev, Liza's boyfriend...

And it's nonsense that Petr's parents didn't want him training quads btw.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxes View Post
    Whatever the case, I'm grateful to Mishin for setting Petr free. And also for refusing to take Dima when he asked years ago. I would have hated to see them turn out like Petrov, Dmitriev, Liza's boyfriend...

And it's nonsense that Petr's parents didn't want him training quads btw.
    The thing is Mishin wanted Petr to be really the next russian superstar so they started to work on 3A since he was 14, in theory by the time he's 18 he should have had all quads ready like Nathan Chen.

It's possible that parents didn't want him to train difficult elements when he was that young, maybe they are fine now but that technically he's taking a slower approach, which means less quads ready by the time he turns into seniors.

I don't know how much Mishin affected negatively Lazukin and Dmitriev and how much they weren't just great talents, or they had other issues to solve (like injuries or other things): Dmitriev in particular looks the kind of skater that is there only because his father is really pushing him.

Lazukin is getting better each season, not sure how far he can go but he has good programs this season and he did well at Lombardia Trophy.

While Petrov had its rough years with injuries in between but like Petr he started competing at international events way earlier than the other skaters to the point at his fifth season in seniors he's still only 19, so he has still time to improve and make a statement. Personally i think his artistry and skating skills are underrated. For what it's worth he was good at the last domestic event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIxDfJm70oQ

1 Not allowed!
    I totally agree on Petrov!

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    I believe Petr has been through some injuries that have probably messed with anyone's "plans." Either those of his coaches or his parents.

7 Not allowed!
    After 3 Cup events, 2 remaining

Road to Senior Nationals-Men (name + point total)

Savosin 26 (qualified)
    Milyukov 20 (qualfied)
    Lezheev 18 (more than likely qualified)
    Kovalev 14 (maybe)

Still have 1 event left
    Murashov 11
    Petrov 11
    Kokovkin 7
    Katichev 5
    Vlasenko 4
    Shulepov 3
    Maslenin 3
    Rukhin 2
    Vetlugin 1

Already qualified

Lazukin GP
    Kolyada GP
    Erokhov GP
    Dmitriev GP
    Voronov GP
    Aliev GP
    Samarin GP
    Gumennik JGPF

Ten spots TBD from Cup series.

Mozalev cannot qualify, he competed already in the Junior series and thus, cannot compete on the Senior one.

I do not expect Danielian/Iakovlev to try and qualify for this. They have never competed in a senior competition (domestically) plus they are not currently scheduled for the 4th Cup event (sr nor jr).

ETA: I will do the junior boys qualifications later after I return home from Skate America.

2 Not allowed!
    Also forgot to mention the comeback kids. Kovtun and Samoilov are scheduled for Kazan (Cup IV) in about 2 weeks, and Artem Frolov and Mark Kondratiuk for the junior cup series (no w/d yet). I expect Semenenko to also compete here (in juniors). Good luck to them all

1 Not allowed!
    congratulations to sergei voronov for his bronze at skate america!

1 Not allowed!
    Nine junior spots TBD by Cup series.

After 3 Cup events, 2 remaining

Road to Junior Nationals- Men (name + point total)

Samsonov 30 (qualified)
    Letfullin 22 (it's going to be a nail-biter)

Still have 1 event left
    Yablokov 15
    Sviridenko 13
    Skirda 13
    Kutovoi 11
    Kunitsa 11
    Golubev 11
    Sarnovsky 9
    Polianskii 9

No one else who has already participated in at least 1 event has a chance.

Still to debut
    Frolov
    Semenenko
    Kondratiuk

Scheduled for Cup IV, skaters from Moscow
    Yablokov
    Skirda
    Kutovoi
    Sarnovski
    Frolov
    Kondratiuk

Already qualified