2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
they need to look into more consistent skaters, I agree Kolyada, Kovtun and Aliev are flops and don't do well in big pressure cooking events.

Flops is such a harsh way of putting it. Misha has all the tools he just needs to learn how to use them. For a flop 5th is far from bad.

I can’t deny it’s difficult to watch him stumble like this but who a better shot at placing well than him? Perhaps Russia will just have to wait for their next Plushenko.

For now it’s up to his coaches to try to help him face this fear.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Dang it was looking so good for the Russian men this Euros!

Congratulations to Samarin on his sliver though.

I think Sergei Vonorov should go to Worlds if healthy, I know he's not super consistent either, but I think he implodes less than the alternatives.

he should, he was the only russian man in gpf, i know he is not the king of consistency (and i'm totally biased :biggrin:) but who is in russian men field?

volk

Final Flight
How many spots Russia has for the Worlds? I think they should send Aliev to Worlds. Probably there will be a test skate for this.

skatenewbie

Medalist
im sure they will use Russian Cup Final or Universiade (but that maybe too close with Worlds) maybe see how Lazukin and Aliev perform. Aliev been training multiple quads now.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I honestly don't see any reason to change the team for worlds. Every option they have is exactly the same.......a pot of gold one night and suck *** the next. Knowing the Russian men they can easily have the competition of a lifetime at Universiade or Russian Cup Final and still bomb Worlds or score huge at Worlds after flopping Russian Cup Final and Universiade. No one at this moment is consistent enough enough. So besides personal bias why change it? :confused2:

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I honestly don't see any reason to change the team for worlds. Every option they have is exactly the same.......a pot of gold one night and suck *** the next. Knowing the Russian men they can easily have the competition of a lifetime at Universiade or Russian Cup Final and still bomb Worlds or score huge at Worlds after flopping Russian Cup Final and Universiade. No one at this moment is consistent enough enough. So besides personal bias why change it? :confused2:

I love Aliev probably the most of Russian men, but I have to agree. They are all hit or miss at this point.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Any idea as to the cause of their ‘instability’ in skating?
Pressure, attitude, character?
The men being on average much older than the young women, they should be more stable?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Because why should Kovtun and Kolyada keep getting sent everywhere after bombing so frequently, without at least giving someone else a chance? What does that say to the others? They are just screwed and might as well retire? These are the only men who the Russian Fed is ever going to support until they finally go away? What a terrible attitude. And besides that, the main issue with Dima was that he never got any rest whatsoever between last season and this one. Now he's had some rest, he's practicing his quads and you still don't think he deserves an opportunity to show himself? His score at Euros last year would have gotten him gold here.

Perhaps a case can be made for Kolyada who at least manages a decent SP once in a blue moon, but Kovtun ended up 14th!!!! You cannot possibly justify sending him over Dima or Sergei (if Sergei is over his injury). For what??? :rolleye:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just some news, Erokhov fans can expect to see him at JrNats this coming weekend. Who he pushes out, I can only guess.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

Great point.

Luckily Kolyada hasn’t broken his wrist:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJTNacFRnX

Side note: It’s always nice to see the Russian skaters being so accommodating to Japanese and English speaking fans.

malya

On the Ice
I hope Sergei Voronov will also get invited to the Cup Final to show his current shape. He has been the only one representing russia in the GPF and deserves a chance for a Worlds or 1st Alternate spot.

Misha should get a spot but please, please for many of your fans sanity (and your own!) pull out of worlds if you are still not fit by then! I hope he doesn't go if his wrist is still hurting badly or he has major sinusitis problems: It's suffering for no reason :(

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russian men are relentlessly criticized in the Russian media for not winning and relentlessly criticized in the western media for not deserving any success they get because they have no programs and no artistry and don’t deserve their PCs marks. Time to realize this has completely destroyed all the Russian men and russian mens Skating

malya

On the Ice
Russian men are relentlessly criticized in the Russian media for not and relentlessly criticized in the western media for not deserving any success they get because they have no programs and no artistry and don’t deserve their PCs marks. Time to realize this has completely destroyed all the Russian men and russian mens Skating

Who says Kolyada has to artistry and bad programs?
Honestly, I have never read it. Aliev was also praised a lot in that regard...

Samarin - now thats a different story. But 'Russian Men' are all individuals and have different strenghts and weaknesses.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Who says Kolyada has to artistry and bad programs?
Honestly, I have never read it. Aliev was also praised a lot in that regard...

Samarin - now thats a different story. But 'Russian Men' are all individuals and have different strenghts and weaknesses.

I meant to have more of a distinction! Kolayda was destroyed for not winning and Samarin is destroyed for having no artistry. So Kolyada has no career now and Samarin will likely have a bad worlds because he’s human! He’s hearing he has no talent.

Russian men are relentlessly criticized in the Russian media for not winning and relentlessly criticized in the western media for not deserving any success they get because they have no programs and no artistry and don’t deserve their PCs marks. Time to realize this has completely destroyed all the Russian men and russian mens Skating

This sounds like one of your usual spellings of doom for Russia, but I actually agree with it.

ankifeather

Final Flight
Just realised that the top placing Russian male since the Olympics changes for every competition:

Olympics - Dima
Worlds - Kolyada
Grand Prix - Voronov
Nationals - Kovtun
European - Samarin

There is a real Russian roulette going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.