2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Men's figure skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmyers

Record Breaker
On the subject of more quads, I have found people seriously saying "Why didn't the Fed tell Samarin's coach not to put 4F into the SP, Kolyada's not to put 4S into the LP, Kovtun's to do fewer quads etc." Do people think men's coaches in Russia are just all inveterate gamblers by nature and poor Fed is desperately looking for a way to keep their impulses in check? :confused2:
It definitely reflects a belief that Russian federation controls all the coaches and everything the skaters do because they fund all the coaches and skaters! But I’m not sure about the Russian federation ordering less quads! That doesn’t seem right .

vorravorra

Record Breaker
It definitely reflects a belief that Russian federation controls all the coaches and everything the skaters do because they fund all the coaches and skaters! But I’m not sure about the Russian federation ordering less quads! That doesn’t seem right .
Considering that all they have done until now is push for more quads, no, I don't see them suddenly voting for "a more skateable program with fewer quads" or "let skaters develop at their own pace".

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Because why should Kovtun and Kolyada keep getting sent everywhere after bombing so frequently, without at least giving someone else a chance? What does that say to the others? They are just screwed and might as well retire? These are the only men who the Russian Fed is ever going to support until they finally go away? What a terrible attitude. And besides that, the main issue with Dima was that he never got any rest whatsoever between last season and this one. Now he's had some rest, he's practicing his quads and you still don't think he deserves an opportunity to show himself? His score at Euros last year would have gotten him gold here.

Perhaps a case can be made for Kolyada who at least manages a decent SP once in a blue moon, but Kovtun ended up 14th!!!! You cannot possibly justify sending him over Dima or Sergei (if Sergei is over his injury). For what??? :rolleye:

The Russian Fed supports/favors Dmitri too. They chose him over Sergei for the Oly team despite Sergei’s accomplishments during the season.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The Russian Fed supports/favors Dmitri too. They chose him over Sergei for the Oly team despite Sergei’s accomplishments during the season.

No. They chose him over Sergei for the Euros team. At Nationals, they came Mikhail (1), Alexander (2), Dmitri (3), Sergei (4), and they decided to go by Nationals results instead of bumping Dima for Sergei based on the results of the season. At Euros, Dmitri came first of the 3 Russian men, so he and Mikhail were chosen for the Olympic team.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
No. They chose him over Sergei for the Euros team. At Nationals, they came Mikhail (1), Alexander (2), Dmitri (3), Sergei (4), and they decided to go by Nationals results instead of bumping Dima for Sergei based on the results of the season. At Euros, Dmitri came first of the 3 Russian men, so he and Mikhail were chosen for the Olympic team.

I’m not saying Dmitri didn’t earn his spot, because he did based on his placement at nationals/Euros. But you made my point. They could have taken Sergei’s results during the season into account and given him a chance at Euros, and they didn’t.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
If Dima has had a good rest and produces a good performance at the Russian Cup Final then let him be considered by all means. Otherwise the Fed can't do much to support him, they can't skate for him. They would have very much liked to support Samarin last season, he just made it impossible for them.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil

Eh, Sergei was certainly thrown under the bus in the PCS department at Nats. He was the skater to receive the least amount of cushion points back then - with Dmitri coming in second after Samarin, so yeah, he definitely was favored over Sergei back then. Which is not to say I don't agree with the choice, after all Dima competed really well in Euros and Olympics.

Sam L

Medalist
Don't know about his jumps but Roman Savosin's spins and skating and overall presentation was on point. :luv17:

Giltedge

Final Flight
:yes2: Yet another superb SP by Daniil at Children of Asia. 84+ His SP and FS programmes are both looking really fine-tuned now. Bravo Daniil and Bravo Team Tutberidze! :thumbsup:

Xzander

Rinkside
I wish they could send Samsonov to senior Worlds. His programmes are more interesting than 99 % of senior men. He also has actual transitions.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Daniil has really good limbs, but I hope they work on his legwrap, because it's really pronounced on his lutz especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.