2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say there will be some electrotango (Gotan Project or similar) at the beginning and the end and Piazzola's Oblivion in the middle. How exciting.

Thank you...how could I miss that.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would say there will be some electrotango (Gotan Project or similar) at the beginning and the end and Piazzola's Oblivion in the middle. How exciting.

You were ignoring it subconsciously.

This is appalling news. The main rhythm for the short/rhythm dance for this season is tango. The last thing that members of the audience who attended the short/ rhythm dance at any competition are going to want to hear is even one more miserable, unending tango.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
This is appalling news. The main rhythm for the short/rhythm dance for this season is tango. The last thing that members of the audience who attended the short/ rhythm dance at any competition are going to want to hear is even one more miserable, unending tango.

But that’s to be expected. No one can dare to be original with their music choices. Skaters just pick the same music over and over again.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker

This didn’t stop Wagner from reusing her ‘Hip Hip Chin Chin’ SP last season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
?
This has nothing to do with one skater repeating a tango program from a previous year, as Wagner did

My issue is a 2018-19 season one.

The main SD rhythm was not tango last season. When it is this season at Worlds there will be over 30 teams. Every one will skate to a tango. And the SD is usually quite early in the competition.

At Junior Worlds, there were just under 30 teams.

At Europeans there were 30 teams.

At every competition, every dance team, both in junior and seniors, will skate to a tango. The lion's share will skate to Piazzolla tangos, with the dog-howling, chainsaw growling vile bandoneon going.

The last thing some people, including me, are going to want to hear in one of the long programs is another Piazzolla tango.

There are, I am told, people who love tango music. I am not one of them.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I LOVE the tango.

I do not need to see any more programs to Adios Nonino, Libertango, Oblivion, Maria de Buenos Aires, Assassin's Tango, Cell Block Tango, or Tango de Roxanne, however. I'll consider myself lucky, though, if we get away without multiple versions of at least three of those.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Regarding my post, I meant to say that Ashley chose to skate her SP, a samba, in spite of the ice dance rhythm being Latin last season.

But yes, I wouldn't want to hear a marathon of Piazzolla tangos either. Hopefully Marie-France, who seems to be coaching a majority of senior teams, can use tango pieces from different artists to differentiate her teams.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But that’s to be expected. No one can dare to be original with their music choices. Skaters just pick the same music over and over again.

Maybe someone will be brave and original and pick the tango by umm, Tom Lehrer.....

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I love tango. But even a lover of a certain genre, can only hear so much of it. So, please with the SD/RD being a tango, no more! Wait until next year please!

Artemisa

Final Flight
?
This has nothing to do with one skater repeating a tango program from a previous year, as Wagner did

My issue is a 2018-19 season one.

The main SD rhythm was not tango last season. When it is this season at Worlds there will be over 30 teams. Every one will skate to a tango. And the SD is usually quite early in the competition.

At Junior Worlds, there were just under 30 teams.

At Europeans there were 30 teams.

At every competition, every dance team, both in junior and seniors, will skate to a tango. The lion's share will skate to Piazzolla tangos, with the dog-howling, chainsaw growling vile bandoneon going.

The last thing some people, including me, are going to want to hear in one of the long programs is another Piazzolla tango.

There are, I am told, people who love tango music. I am not one of them.

That's nothing to do with tango ... is the problem of SD in ice dance ... the same music over and over again ...

Artemisa

Final Flight
. Hopefully Marie-France, who seems to be coaching a majority of senior teams, can use tango pieces from different artists to differentiate her teams.

Well ... probably Marie-France will choose music that have nothing to do with tango ( like last year did with samba) and call that tango ... the only problem is that a imitate a tango is harder than put some electronics in a american music and call her samba

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Camden Pulkinen’s SP is to Piazzola:palmf:

I’m sorry I agree with Doris. Maybe it shows my ignorance of the genre, but Piazzolla makes my ears bleed. :hopelessness: I would rather hear Roxanne. I am afraid in ID I am going to hear a lot of both.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I might be naive, but for me the crux of the problem is re-using same Tango themes (or other genres' pieces) over and over again. It makes me unexcited about any next program whoever would perform it. It has certain idea, a twist on the dance style to make it individual and memorable - I think that lately, Anna Pogorilaya managed to have Tango-themed program with not overused music and some spicy, modern twist; also, Shoma's Loco FS 2 seasons ago was for me a pretty refreshing take on Argentine Tango aesthetic: not obvious, focused more on making a strong individual character and giving out the intensity of the music than having Tango character per se. But the most outstanding example for me of taking Tango and making it into passionate, refreshing and creative experience as Gilles/Poirier FD in 2016/17 season. It just has to have an idea and not choosing obvious, overused ways.

pearly

Record Breaker
Camden Pulkinen’s SP is to Piazzola:palmf:

I’m sorry I agree with Doris. Maybe it shows my ignorance of the genre, but Piazzolla makes my ears bleed. :hopelessness: I would rather hear Roxanne. I am afraid in ID I am going to hear a lot of both.

It doesn't. Tango can be beautiful and there is more to it than Piazzolla, but Piazzolla is DRAMATIC and BOLD and that's the portrayal of tango we are doomed to get in skating. I am in fact hoping that at least some teams from Gadbois will bring something different.

I might be naive, but for me the crux of the problem is re-using same Tango themes (or other genres' pieces) over and over again. It makes me unexcited about any next program whoever would perform it. It has certain idea, a twist on the dance style to make it individual and memorable - I think that lately, Anna Pogorilaya managed to have Tango-themed program with not overused music and some spicy, modern twist; also, Shoma's Loco FS 2 seasons ago was for me a pretty refreshing take on Argentine Tango aesthetic: not obvious, focused more on making a strong individual character and giving out the intensity of the music than having Tango character per se. But the most outstanding example for me of taking Tango and making it into passionate, refreshing and creative experience as Gilles/Poirier FD in 2016/17 season. It just has to have an idea and not choosing obvious, overused ways.

Didn't Pogorilaya use Por una cabesa?

G/P used a tango by Lomuto. Difficult to dance to, but much better than the standard choices.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Pogorilaya use Por una cabesa?

G/P used a tango by Lomuto. Difficult to dance to, but much better than the standard choices.

Yes, she did -- although they rarely said Por Una Cabeza and usually referred to it as Scent of a Woman.