2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
It doesn't. Tango can be beautiful and there is more to it than Piazzolla, but Piazzolla is DRAMATIC and BOLD and that's the portrayal of tango we are doomed to get in skating. I am in fact hoping that at least some teams from Gadbois will bring something different.

Didn't Pogorilaya use Por una cabesa?

G/P used a tango by Lomuto. Difficult to dance to, but much better than the standard choices.

As an Argentine tango dancer and DJ, I have to disagree... Lomuto's tangos are delightful and perfectly suited to dancing tango, but maybe not great for ice dancing. It is "old school" tango and lacks the drama and edginess of Piazzola's music.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Lol, was googling and found this:http://figure-skating.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tango

Lists 37 pieces of tango music used in figure skating, each page cataloging the skaters who used that piece. There's 15 entries for Adios Nonino. Don't think it's complete because I know Jeff Buttle skated to it and he is not included as one of them.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Lol, was googling and found this:http://figure-skating.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Tango

Lists 37 pieces of tango music used in figure skating, each page cataloging the skaters who used that piece. There's 15 entries for Adios Nonino. Don't think it's complete because I know Jeff Buttle skated to it and he is not included as one of them.

No, it's nowhere near complete. The page I see for Libertango doesn't list a single dance team. :rolleye:

pearly

Record Breaker
As an Argentine tango dancer and DJ, I have to disagree... Lomuto's tangos are delightful and perfectly suited to dancing tango, but maybe not great for ice dancing. It is "old school" tango and lacks the drama and edginess of Piazzola's music.

At last, another tanguero/tanguera!

I do know better than to discuss tango music with a DJ :)D) but here's my take on this - Fancisco Lomuto's music is wonderful, but G/P listed Daniel Lomuto for their 16/17 FD and his compositions are more modern. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Do you ever wonder why ice dance hasn't discovered the music of di Sarli? His instrumentals would work wonderfully on the ice. Pugliese too, for those who want a bit of drama.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I do know better than to discuss tango music with a DJ :)D) but here's my take on this - Fancisco Lomuto's music is wonderful, but G/P listed Daniel Lomuto for their 16/17 FD and his compositions are more modern. Correct me if I'm wrong!
Do you ever wonder why ice dance hasn't discovered the music of di Sarli? His instrumentals would work wonderfully on the ice. Pugliese too, for those who want a bit of drama.

Pugliese's 'Patetico' was always my dream piece for Virtue/Moir to skate Tango to (sadly, won't happen:()...I'd love to see e.g. Weaver/Poje in 'Pasional' and Gilles/Poirier with 'A los Amigos'. There is so much Argentine Tango music still undiscovered for skating and it's a shame that same pieces are used endlessly, not really exploring variety of that genre, hence even bigger admiration from me to Gilles/Poirier who veered onto old-school, vintage vibe of Argentine Tango musically and with whole entourage, choreography-wise.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand

Hola, Pearly! Nice to meet you :)
Apologies, I totally assumed that you meant Francisco Lomuto. I looked up Daniel Lomuto - he's Francisco's nephew! Obviously a much more modern, orchestral take on tango than that of Uncle Frank.
http://www.todotango.com/english/artists/biography/1078/Daniel-Lomuto/

And I watched the programme as well...no, this isn't dancing music at all. But you could choreograph a show tango routine to it, probably.
You have excellent taste in tango music. Though I have a weakness for D'Arienzo and Tanturi...

Totally OT, sorry! I am curious and interested to see what the tango SDs will be like, but as some people have said, I hope skaters don't all choose similar (or the same) songs!

pearly

Record Breaker
Pugliese's 'Patetico' was always my dream piece for Virtue/Moir to skate Tango to (sadly, won't happen:()...I'd love to see e.g. Weaver/Poje in 'Pasional' and Gilles/Poirier with 'A los Amigos'. There is so much Argentine Tango music still undiscovered for skating and it's a shame that same pieces are used endlessly, not really exploring variety of that genre, hence even bigger admiration from me to Gilles/Poirier who veered onto old-school, vintage vibe of Argentine Tango musically and with whole entourage, choreography-wise.

I would love to see someone skate to Nochero Soy.

And I watched the programme as well...no, this isn't dancing music at all. But you could choreograph a show tango routine to it, probably.
You have excellent taste in tango music. Though I have a weakness for D'Arienzo and Tanturi...

The horror.
I too love D'Arienzo, Tenturi, Biaggi and all orchestras with strong rhythm. And Fresedo - his music sounds like a soundtrack to Italian films from the 1950s. :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I would love to see someone skate to Nochero Soy.

Another great pick, Daisuke Takahashi from solo skaters would do justice to this piece in my opinion - he could make a FS program that would feel like an exhibition out of it:)

pearly

Record Breaker
Beautiful.

This is real tango, people! (The music not necessarily the best choice for ice, but can we please get more programs of this style!)

Alan Geraldy

Rinkside
Information about the music choices of Evgenia Tarasova/Vladimir Morozov for the 2018/2019 season (according to eyewitnesses):

Short program - "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lenny Kravitz (instrumental version);

Free program - "The Winter" by Barmolhea.

:hap93:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well ... probably Marie-France will choose music that have nothing to do with tango ( like last year did with samba) and call that tango ... the only problem is that a imitate a tango is harder than put some electronics in a american music and call her samba

Well, here's a clip of Lauriault/Le Gac's (already announced as Chicago): x

And Lajoie/Lagha: x

And Fisher/Malette-Paquette: x

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Daisuke Takahashi is having his new SP choreographed by David Wilson currently. I hope we get an update from David. So many folks are dying to know what they are going to come up with.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Do you mean Gilles/Poirier's FD? Did you dislike it so much? I think it was a wonderful program (perhaps not enough "male-female" chemistry between them for some people's tastes, but that has nothing to do with the music). Many people liked it, and it scored really well for them (in terms of PCS), so I don't think it can be called an unsuccessful program even if you and some other people don't like it. It was also well choreographed to the music, in my opinion (logical, otherwise it would not have been so widely liked).

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Do you mean Gilles/Poirier's FD? Did you dislike it so much? I think it was a wonderful program (perhaps not enough "male-female" chemistry between them for some people's tastes, but that has nothing to do with the music). Many people liked it, and it scored really well for them (in terms of PCS), so I don't think it can be called an unsuccessful program even if you and some other people don't like it. It was also well choreographed to the music, in my opinion (logical, otherwise it would not have been so widely liked).

I didn't say I disliked it. The music is not the kind of tango used for social dancing. There is tango that is danced to and tango that is performed as music (like classical music), and their choice of music was the latter. I enjoyed the performance and my ice dance technical knowledge is not good enough to assess whether it was done well or not.