2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

composer

On the Ice
It is only me getting the vibe from Yuzuru that this will be his last season? Choosing to reenact such iconic programs in both his competitive programs, him going back to his influences just screams this to me. But nonetheless i cannot wait for him to skate at the world gala together with Plushenko on Nijinsky! :love:
I predict a four year arc... Origins ... Early Success ... Setbacks ... A Legend Is Born...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Very surprising choice by H&D. They are not known to be "storytellers" skaters.

I guess I'm in the minority and I don't think anyone can be "too young" to play R&J. Ballet dancers in their late 30's dance successfully to R&J all the time.

I think A&P were in their early/mid 20's when they skated to R&J and It's my favorite R&J FD.

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Their past FD's have been very storytelling, just in a different less obvious way than most, last years FD was one of the best ever in that regard.

IlVoloFan

Final Flight
Country
Turkey
Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue

RD:
Tango: Alevare by Astor Piazzolla
Tango: Tangata del Alba by Astor Piazzolla

FD:
Introduction to Romeo (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong
Kissing You Instrumental (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong
Kissing You (Romeo and Juliet soundtrack) performed by Desree

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013466.htm

Hmm not so sure about the R&J choice :/ After an amazing Caught out in the Rain FD last year ... Hope it will be good and let’s see how judges will react this.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I mean... They are a bit too old for R&J... Like yes it is a romantic piece and they've proven countless times they can sell romance very well, but they have too much of a "hot and heavy" type of chemistry to sell the puppy love dynamic of R&J imo. My early prediction is that their RD will overshadow their FD.

This a 100%. This should be the season for them to go waaaay outside of the box and not step a thousand steps back. This music choice screams very junior and does not fit the mature skaters that they are at this point in their career. If they want to interpret a romantic piece they still could have chosen something more innovative than this.

Giselle

Medalist
Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Their past FD's have been very storytelling, just in a different less obvious way than most, last years FD was one of the best ever in that regard.

What I meant is that they don't usually try to literally play the characters of the music they chose like Tron, Great Gatsby. Obviously they try to tell a story in their FDs.

Anyways I have faith in them and I'm looking forward to seeing their FD before dismissing it as "juniorish".

Here are a couple of my favorite non-junior skaters skating to R&J:
- Klimova & Ponomarenko
- Anissina & Peizerat
- Gordeeva & Grinkov

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
The undecided Javier Fernández has decided at least that Man of La Mancha will be revamped as the FS for whatever his season will turn out to be (at least he will be in Japan Open).

But there is a new SP in the works (no clues as to what it will be) - if he will ever need it (because the other competitions might not happen, ie nationals, Europeans and a possible third event). Source: Hielo Espanol

E

Tutto

Record Breaker
This a 100%. This should be the season for them to go waaaay outside of the box and not step a thousand steps back. This music choice screams very junior and does not fit the mature skaters that they are at this point in their career. If they want to interpret a romantic piece they still could have chosen something more innovative than this.

I always wonder why Tristan & Izolda not used more often in fact hardly ever

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Artur Danielian
SP: Puttin' on the Ritz performed by Ferruccio Spinetti and Francesco Petreni, composer - Irving Berlin
Choreographers Tatyana Tarasova and Nikita Mikhailov
FP: La Traviata and Rigoletto by G. Verdi.
Choreographer Nikita Mikhailov

Alexander Samarin
SP: Dave Not Dave by Cold Blood
FP: The Greatest Showman (From Now On and The Greatest Show)
Choreographers Albena Denkova and Maxim Stavisky

Source: http://www.ltk-cska.ru/news/1384-programmyi-sezona.html

So now we know everyone's programs from CSKA except Tsurskaya. Saving the best for last!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Artur Danielian
SP: Puttin' on the Ritz performed by Ferruccio Spinetti and Francesco Petreni, composer - Irving Berlin
Choreographers Tatyana Tarasova and Nikita Mikhailov
FP: La Traviata and Rigoletto by G. Verdi.

Alexander Samarin
SP: Dave Not Dave by Cold Blood
FP: The Greatest Showman (From Now On and The Greatest Show)
Choreographers Albena Denkova and Maxim Stavisky

Source: http://www.ltk-cska.ru/news/1384-programmyi-sezona.html

So now we know everyone's programs from CSKA except Tsurskaya. Saving the best for last!

Tsurskaya
SP: And the waltz goes on by Anthony Hopkins
FP: Leningrad (William Joseph) and Prodigy (Kotaro Nakagawa) and Live or die (Xray dog)

Choreographers: Tarasova/Mikhailov

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
trend alert: the greatest showman...

plus, not avengers/other superhero movies theme yet

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think this could be expected, from its use at the Olympics. There have been quite a few skating fanvids to the music...
It was already cropping up in a lot of exhibition programs, etc. over the summer as well.

The one I'm surprised we haven't seen yet is "Rewrite the Stars" as either an ice dance or pairs program.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Did you mean the Wagner Tristan, or Maxime Rodriguez?

Wagner for me! I honestly don't get it why Liebestod is not a FS warhorse - a gorgeous piece of music, more sophisticated & sensuous than any R&J, equally recognisable story, in short: a godsend for skaters 'a little too mature' to skate to R&J ... But no R&J we get time after time :confused::scratch2:

Re Tristan + Isolde...
Film ost is good too and has never been used, I think..
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6A4599C679B94CEB

Thanks for the link - I might look up the film - have you seen it?

rosy14

Final Flight
Very surprising choice by H&D. They are not known to be "storytellers" skaters.

I guess I'm in the minority and I don't think anyone can be "too young" to play R&J. Ballet dancers in their late 30's dance successfully to R&J all the time.

I think A&P were in their early/mid 20's when they skated to R&J and It's my favorite R&J FD.

Well the dancers (classic ballet dancers) who dance on Romeo and Juliet Prokoviev's till they are older than 35-40 years old, are very few and very, very famous (Bolle now, Margot Fonteyn then) and on a level that H/D aren't.
W/P did R&J as a show program, if I'm not mistaken.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Wagner for me! I honestly don't get it why Liebestod is not a FS warhorse - a gorgeous piece of music, more sophisticated & sensuous than any R&J, equally recognisable story, in short: a godsend for skaters 'a little too mature' to skate to R&J ... But no R&J we get time after time :confused::scratch2:

Thanks for the link - I might look up the film - have you seen it?

Oh my gosh yes... music is lovely but I feel, as a soundtrack, it falls into the category of what my friends and I call "movie music"... not to denigrate the genre in any way whatsoever... I love the way this ancient story is brought to life again for a new generation that may never have heard or known of it otherwise. While not a blockbuster hit (thank heaven) thr film has gained and now has its following since first released. The folklore's magic component has been left out, imparting a modern twist on a romantic Cautionery tale.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
My favorite theatre production of R&J was done with older performers. There are a lot of different themes to highlight within Romeo & Juliet. It was interesting because the same Shakespeare festival did two versions basically back to back. The first year, it was done with older performers & highlighted the bond between the two protagonists over the long-lasting conflict between the two families. I really felt that the romantic relationship was very powerful in that one. The second production was a more age accurate version (Juliet was dressed like a Catholic school girl), and the feeling one was left with at the end was that two teenagers fell hard for each other and plunged too quickly into suicide. That like many teens, they might very well have fallen hard for someone else in the future if they hadn't acted rashly.

Anyway, my point is that Romeo & Juliet can certainly handle a myriad of interpretations, and age is only one aspect of the story. One that is often superseded by the quality of the performers. Precious few actors & performers for formal productions are actually as young as the characters in the story.

And having politely & reasonably said all of that, I have absolutely no desire to see another R&J; much less a lovey dovey soft one set to the Claire-Danes-staring-through-the-fish-tank music without any of the music that highlights the action and conflict within the story. I'm sure Hubbell & Donohue will skate it well, but it really feels like the we-just-finished-touring-because-it's-the-year-after-the-Olympics-and-we-didn't-have-time-to-think-so-we-picked-the-very-first-thing-someone-suggested syndrome.