2018-2019 Programs By Discipline | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 Programs By Discipline

Tutto

Record Breaker
And having politely & reasonably said all of that, I have absolutely no desire to see another R&J; much less a lovey dovey soft one set to the Claire-Danes-staring-through-the-fish-tank music without any of the music that highlights the action and conflict within the story. I'm sure Hubbell & Donohue will skate it well, but it really feels like the we-just-finished-touring-because-it's-the-year-after-the-Olympics-and-we-didn't-have-time-to-think-so-we-picked-the-very-first-thing-someone-suggested syndrome.

A very contagious syndrome apparently :rolleye:
I am all in 'anticipation' of Carmen epidemic this season, the only opera I hate from the whole classical repertoire :dev2:

chameleon

On the Ice
While this isn't my favorite music, there are different themes H/D can go with. While teenagers falling in love and recklessly and foolishly rushing to their avoidable deaths is the most common takeaway, it has to be noted that none of that would have happened if their families did not blindly hate each other for, as is established at the beginning, literally no reason except that they've always hated each other. Had they not been blinded by prejudice, Romeo and Juliet could very well have dated for five minutes and then moved on. So if you see the story not as the tragedy arising from two young, stupid teenagers, but rather desperate lovers who feel they have limited options in a society set completely against them, there's quite an interesting story to tell there. Or maybe they just like the music and won't be telling the story at all. Or maybe another interpretation I haven't thought of. Or maybe they really will be attempting to play young, innocent teenagers.

We won't know for sure until they actually skate their FD, and I suspect this reaction is the reason they wanted to keep their music under wraps.

draka

Rinkside
Looking at H/D's particular music selection, I think they might've chosen the music for its own sake and not the whole R&J theme package. The fact that they didn't do a mashup of every possible version (Prokofiev + movies) gives me hope. The 'Introduction to Romeo' part samples Radiohead's "Talk Show Host", which in and of itself isn't an innocent lovey-dovey song and it suits the more sultry look that they had going in last season's FD. Very bitter they didn't commit to the actual song. It also fits well enough with the Instrumental version of 'Kissing you'. Now the Des'ree vocals is where my theory falls a bit short but with some nice modern/minimalistic costumes it can still be its own thing and not "A R&J PROGRAM (TM)". Now if they go with your typical Juliet dress, that will be the telltale of their true intentions :laugh:

Anyway, I recommend an anti-dissapointment strategy called "Please don't use the voiceovers" :slink:

ETA:

I don't mind R&J but wonder why nobody has skated to the Radiohead version yet.

I've been imagining programs to this in my head for ages and forgot that it's also originally for Romeo+Juliet.... This is a major missed opportunity :drama: And to think H/D could've possibly pulled it off brilliantly...

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Yes, I listened to the ones in Samarin's programs and both were awesome! Also the 2 unexpected pieces in Tsurskaya's FS are awesome as well :yay:

"never enough" and "a million dreams" are powerful and beautiful peaces as well:biggrin:

A very contagious syndrome apparently :rolleye:
I am all in 'anticipation' of Carmen epidemic this season, the only opera I hate from the whole classical repertoire :dev2:

the epidemic comes back every season, it's like the plague in the middle ages :laugh:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I will look them up. Thanks! I've never even heard of this show, musical (?) I don't even know :laugh:

New award-winning musicals always tend to bring out a flood of programs: http://envelope.latimes.com/awards/titles/greatest-showman/

This one, very fortunately comes with both good music and new music for skating. We could likely have our own separate competition this season for The Greatest Greatest Showman figure skating program. I saw 3-4 at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (both U.S. & Canadian teams). And I think 2 other skating programs to it so far on the JGP (I've been skipping pairs and most of the ladies so there have quite plausibly been more), at least 1 junior dance team in Canada that wasn't at LPIDC, Bradie & Adam's exhibitions, and the opening cast number for a Japanese Tour (the Ice, I think?). Now Samarin.

But like I said, it's good music. Far better than Moulin Rouge or La La Land, IMO. Of course some compilations are already better than others, and then there are some very strong individual song selections as well. The Peals in U.S. novice dance have my favorite version so far, though I also think Bradie's exhibition has the best song--This is Me--if it could be done by the right person/team. (I would really love to see the Shibs do it or maybe Keegan).

One thing that is for certain, someone could be making good money selling all the figure skating versions of that red ringmaster coat.

oly2018

Final Flight
Kolyada and Muse don't quite sound like they would mesh, but I am curious to see how he interprets it. I don't know which song he is doing, but it will be interesting because Vincent is skating to Muse too.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Hope Kolyada skates to Ruled by Secrecy. Liked his The Nightmare Before Christmas FS so I think dark programs suit him.

Tutto

Record Breaker
:palmf: being a Kolyada fan is so stressful.....

Tell me about it...
And look at our avatars! A wealth of experience from being Sasha's fan comes in handy ;)

Sasha drove me I remember to distraction with her music choices - a warhorse after warhorse but we 'survived' it all

But one day I wish Mika will turn to his roots because he is so quintessential Russian at heart and will skate to some Russian classic - Tchaikovsky or Glynka, wouldn't he make a lovely Eugene Onegin or Herman from The Dame of Spades...

Ladybug89

On the Ice
Hope Kolyada skates to Ruled by Secrecy. Liked his The Nightmare Before Christmas[R/I] FS so I think dark programs suit him.

Well, I don’t understand the issue many of you guys seem to have with Muse.

Ruled by Secrecy is a great song, and I can imagine a great program, especially if it‘s choreographed by Lambiel!!