Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: 2018-19 State of European Men's skating

0 Not allowed!
    Going into this season we had both Matteo and Deniss as artistic men's skaters with no quad who were trying to make it work -- Matteo finally got it to work (and in style) at Europeans; Deniss, still a work in progress, unfortunately.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Green View Post
    Going into this season we had both Matteo and Deniss as artistic men's skaters with no quad who were trying to make it work -- Matteo finally got it to work (and in style) at Europeans; Deniss, still a work in progress, unfortunately.
    I like Matteo well enough but I am not quite seeing what is so "artistic" about him. He's a decent performer, but has no range - all he seems to be able to skate to is classic rock medleys. He is a bit more in the Javi showman mold, but without Javi's ability to portray different characters. I know his SP is slower and probably an attempt to show that he can, indeed, be artistic, but it's also very bland and forgettable.

Kevin Aymoz is artistic...Matteo, not so much for me.

0 Not allowed!
    I wonder if Kevin Aymoz will beat Rizzio at worlds. His long program is to die for.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DenissVFan View Post
    France had only two entries, Kevin and Adam, though.
    Ah yes, I've come to my senses now. I was thinking there were 3 Thanks!

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns Lester's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxes View Post

Kevin Aymoz is artistic...Matteo, not so much for me.
    I wouldn't say emotional armwaving and wearing a faded costume to a whiny pop song is enough to call something artistic... even though it fits the current stereotype :D
    I wouldn't even call Yuzuru particularly artistic. Dramatic, possibly. Athletically sublime, of course.

Really for a skater to be artistic there needs to be another level of choreography and interpretation, not just lots of it. Something like Satoko, possibly. Or even Javi's Man of la Mancha is very tastefully put together and he performs it with such authenticity and conviction.

Most of the European guys are just pleasantly average in the artistic department but then if you do not have that exceptional x factor in you, which is of course very rare, this takes so much work and effort to find and then refine that you wouldn't expect it of people who generally struggle to make the top 10 at Worlds.

Edit: Yeah, Javi's exhibition program is very artistic

Tripping on the Podium elektra blue's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSQ View Post
    I wonder if Kevin Aymoz will beat Rizzio at worlds. His long program is to die for.
    if he nails his jumps i don't see why not

Tripping on the Podium DenissVFan's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Congrats to Sondre Oddvoll Bøe on winning The Nordics

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DenissVFan View Post
    Congrats to Sondre Oddvoll Bøe on winning The Nordics
    He was soooo happy it was very cute! I guess it was totally unexpected for him. Majorov seemed a bit pissed, though, and he confirmed to Swedish media he didn’t know what had happened to him but that he will focus for Worlds.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9