2018-19 State of European Men's skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018-19 State of European Men's skating

icetug

Medalist
Gee, and I was under the impression that Deniss defeated Aliev at Worlds.
This was the first season they both competed in seniors and - despite of a 20-pts difference between their PB - they placed quite equal:
Rostelecom: A 6th - V 8th, NHK: A 8th - V 6th, Euros: A 2nd - V 4th; Worlds: A 7th - V 6th. The only event Dima did significantly better were Olys.

They competed sometimes in juniors also:
Riga Cup 2015 A 1st - V 2nd; Tallin Trophy 2015 A 1st - V 4th, European Youth Olympics 2015 A 3rd - V 2nd, WJC 2016 A 6th - V 8th, Youth Olympic Games 2016 A 3rd - V 2nd (in team event: A 2nd - V 1st).

Why I've brought their rivalry records up? Just because they are of the same age and the most promising European skaters - and I can't wait to see them next seasons :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
As lavenderblossom said above, Daniel Grassl and Jonathan Hess are promising juniors. Luc Economides from France did well at JGP, also Basar Oktar from Turkey. As Bychenko retires, we probably will see Mark Gorodnitsky as a second Israeli skater. Hope that one of Belohradsky brothers shows up as a strong contender on side of Brezina. I remember quite good juniors from Sweden so Majorov will have a successor when he retires (his brother?). The second Latvian spot is waiting for the best junior (till now only Kims Georgs Pavlovs has TES high enough). Last but not least, believe that Kornel Witkowski from Poland joins the best European juniors soon.

And there is one more skater who I always considered a junior, but who is 20 now (and competed in EC five times :cool:): Sondre Oddvoll Boe. Hope he reached his height finally and is able to improve significantly (despite his vegan diet ;))

So go watch live stream to see what Sweden presents for next season :)

Men competing at Swedish Elite Finals:

Junior free skate Saturday April 14th 10.37

Johan SPARR 36.12
Gabriel FOLKESSON 58.13
Nikolaj MAJOROV 64.37

Senior short program Saturday April 14th 14.20

Illya Solomin
Alexander Majorov

Senior free skate Sunday April 15th 12.00

All times Central European

Enries/Results http://www.skatesweden.wehost.se/17-18/Elit/Elitfinal/html/index.htm

Wonder if Solomin will compete internationally again after sitting out two seasons?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
What a great idea for a thread :)

As far as retirements go:
I heard Javi plans to semi-retire in that he will still do Senior Bs and Europeans, but not GPs or Worlds.
Bychenko said after Worlds that he plans to retire.
Brezina said he wants to go for another season.
According to Jackie Wong Majorov is retiring.
I think Chafik Besseghier might be retiring but I'm not sure.

The top men after them in order of PBs are: Deniss Vasiljevs, Jorik Hendrickx, Daniel Samohin, Moris Kvitelashvili, Yaroslav Paniot, Matteo Rizzo, Paul Fentz, Romain Ponsart, Kevin Aymoz, and Ivan Pavlov. All of them have PBs between 210-260.
- Deniss saved his best skates for Worlds to earn that PB. (2 factoids - 6th is the highest Latvia has ever placed in any discipline at Worlds ever; Deniss is the youngest on this list and still junior eligible for another year lol) However, 2 spin levels aside, he was pristine clean, so he's gone about as high as is possible without quads.
- Jorik got his PB from Nebelhorn this season, and as far as I know he's continuing, so although I don't think he'll ever get a quad, the judges like him and he's a fairly reliable skater.
- Daniel has bags of potential (and plenty of quads), but every competition besides Olympics was a disaster. Which is a great time to peak, but if he'd had those skates at Euros he would've been 4th, and at Worlds he would have made the top 10 :(
- Moris is a similar story, had his best skates at Rostelecom Cup and everything after was a mess :(
- Paniot has 4F and 4T, but... ehhh, is there something in the water in Europe? Quadsters are only allowed 1 good skate per season?
- Matteo did pretty well for himself! JW medal and a vast improvement in his overall skating. He's working on a 4T, I hope he can get it down by next season (he landed it at Worlds but it was UR.)
- Fentz had a Boyang-level disaster at Euros, but he's normally a bit better than that and he showed it at Worlds and Olympics. His Worlds score of 230.92 was a PB.
- Ponsart kind of made a breakthrough this season, his 4T is lovely. Onwards and upwards!
- Aymoz and Pavlov have some potential. Unfortunately, Aymoz wasn't allowed to go to Euros because he didn't have a quad, though he's working on 4T and 4S. (I think he put up a video of him landing them on instagram but I don't have it saved.) Pavlov has quads and his skating is not bad, but apparently the rink he trains at always closes over the summer so he doesn't have anywhere to train half the year round :(.

So the forecast seems a bit gloomy :slink: but on the positive side most of them are fairly young. In juniors Daniel Grassl from Italy has a 4Lz, he is 16 so that is something to look forward to. I think they all just need time to develop. I don't think we can pin any of them as European #1 just yet.

We shouldn't discount the Russians. They aren't consistent but they have threats. Probably two have shots at WBM and could all podium at Euros.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
We shouldn't discount the Russians. They aren't consistent but they have threats. Probably two have shots at WBM and could all podium at Euros.

I wasn't discounting them! Just wanted to focus more on rest of Europe in that post. There is a Russian Men's thread already for discussing them in depth. But if we talk about placements at Euros and Worlds, they haven't been off podium in ages at Euros and are usually the top finishers at Worlds from Europe.
One interesting thing though is that Russian men at Euros in the last 4 years haven't swept the podium or even come very close to it. Now they have 2 frontrunners in Mikhail and Dima, who should medal next year barring a meltdown, but that leaves 1 spot on the podium that could go to a European man.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I sure hope so, but I'm really not sure because he made that instagram post hinting at it as well.
One would think it's too late in their respective careers to be switching disciplines.
The caption says that they are part of the Milano team. Not sure what that means though!

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On his Insta stories he has a clip of him doing a little ice dance with a dark-haired women (I can't tell who she is). The first one says something about "My first week as an ice dancer #newproject" and the second one says "Looking to have some more tryouts". Those two were posted an hour ago.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
The next best Swiss skater is Nurullah Sahaka, who was 16th at junior worlds with a PB of 177.75. He’s 18, and I don’t know if he’ll be senior next year, but I’d guess so

He was 4th at nationals behind Britschgi and Todeschini, and their PBs are not far behind, so there'll be a battle for the chance to go to Euros/Worlds next year. Cool!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Bumping this thread since it's been a while :)

Euro Men GP assignments
Skate America: Jorik Hendrickx, Michal Brezina, Romain Ponsart, Moris Kvitelashvili, Alexei Bychenko, Matteo Rizzo, Sergei Voronov
Skate Canada: Kevin Aymoz, Daniel Samohin, Alexander Samarin, Alexander Majorov
Finland GP: Jorik Hendrickx, Michal Brezina, Alexei Bychenko, Alexey Erokhov, Mikhail Kolyada, Andrei Lazukin
NHK Trophy: Matteo Rizzo, Deniss Vasiljevs, Dmitri Aliev, Sergei Voronov, Yaroslav Paniot
Rostelecom Cup: Moris Kvitelashvili, Paul Fentz, Maurizio Zandron, Artur Dmitriev, Alexey Erokhov, Mikhail Kolyada, Alexander Majorov
Internationaux de France: Romain Ponsart, Chafik Besseghier, Daniel Samohin, Deniss Vasiljevs, Dmitri Aliev, Alexander Samarin

Alexei Bychenko is listed therefore I assume he's not retiring after all! Hendrickx, Brezina, Fentz and Besseghier are also continuing.
Maurizio Zandron decided to skate for Austria so he will be giving up his spot at Rostelecom. https://www.zazoom.it/2018-07-16/pa...ale-azzurra-sara-un-atleta-austriaco/4457338/ Sad since this was to be his GP debut.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Bumping this thread since it's been a while :)

Euro Men GP assignments
Skate America: Jorik Hendrickx, Michal Brezina, Romain Ponsart, Moris Kvitelashvili, Alexei Bychenko, Matteo Rizzo, Sergei Voronov
Skate Canada: Kevin Aymoz, Daniel Samohin, Alexander Samarin, Alexander Majorov
Finland GP: Jorik Hendrickx, Michal Brezina, Alexei Bychenko, Alexey Erokhov, Mikhail Kolyada, Andrei Lazukin
NHK Trophy: Matteo Rizzo, Deniss Vasiljevs, Dmitri Aliev, Sergei Voronov, Yaroslav Paniot
Rostelecom Cup: Moris Kvitelashvili, Paul Fentz, Maurizio Zandron, Artur Dmitriev, Alexey Erokhov, Mikhail Kolyada, Alexander Majorov
Internationaux de France: Romain Ponsart, Chafik Besseghier, Deniss Vasiljevs, Dmitri Aliev, Alexander Samarin

Alexei Bychenko is listed therefore I assume he's not retiring after all! Hendrickx, Brezina, Fentz and Besseghier are also continuing.
Maurizio Zandron decided to skate for Austria so he will be giving up his spot at Rostelecom. https://www.zazoom.it/2018-07-16/pa...ale-azzurra-sara-un-atleta-austriaco/4457338/ Sad since this was to be his GP debut.

Only one assignment for Samohin?

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Whaaaaat ? :confused:

Why doing that and giving up a chance to be at Grand Prix ? Is already 25 years old... :confused:

Who goes there now ? Righini ? Can Grassl skate both two JGP and one senior GP ?

No. You can't do both JGP and GP. But they don't have to give the spot to an Italian guy.