2018-19 State of European Men's skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018-19 State of European Men's skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Who goes there now ? Righini ? Can Grassl skate both two JGP and one senior GP ?

The spot doesn't belong to Italy. It belonged to Zandron. Sometimes we see a GP spot swapped with another countryman, but it's unlikely in this case as there are no Italian guys on the replacement list. The rules aren't always followed, but if they are, the replacement should be one of the ten highest ranked guys on the Season's Best list who doesn't already have two assignments:

1. Jun-Hwan Cha KOR
2. Nam Nguyen CAN
3. Kevin Reynolds CAN
4. Brendan Kerry AUS
5. Yaroslav Paniot UKR
6. Paul Fentz GER
7. Artur Dmitriev RUS
8. Nic Nadeau CAN
9. Denis Ten KAZ
10. Alex Johnson USA

Fentz, Dmitriev, & Ten are already at Rostelecom so it won't be them.

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
No. You can't do both JGP and GP. But they don't have to give the spot to an Italian guy.
Thanks

The spot doesn't belong to Italy. It belonged to Zandron. Sometimes we see a GP spot swapped with another countryman, but it's unlikely in this case as there are no Italian guys on the replacement list. The rules aren't always followed, but if they are, the replacement should be one of the ten highest ranked guys on the Season's Best list who doesn't already have two assignments

My bad, i was confused by how replacements works on the home GP spots, like when at last NHK GP Murakami was replaced by Sato.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
The spot doesn't belong to Italy. It belonged to Zandron. Sometimes we see a GP spot swapped with another countryman, but it's unlikely in this case as there are no Italian guys on the replacement list. The rules aren't always followed, but if they are, the replacement should be one of the ten highest ranked guys on the Season's Best list who doesn't already have two assignments:

1. Jun-Hwan Cha KOR
2. Nam Nguyen CAN
3. Kevin Reynolds CAN
4. Brendan Kerry AUS
5. Yaroslav Paniot UKR
6. Paul Fentz GER
7. Artur Dmitriev RUS
8. Nic Nadeau CAN
9. Denis Ten KAZ
10. Alex Johnson USA

Fentz, Dmitriev, & Ten are already at Rostelecom so it won't be them.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed for jun-hwan!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Sondre has a nice blog where he writes about his training, being a vegan and other things in life. It’s in Norwegian.

His latest blogs are about his summer training. In Oberstdorf (his main rink is now in Asker, Norway) Vlasta Koprikova and Michael Huth(Verner’s coaches) help him. His training mates were Nicole Schott, Paul Fenz and ’two promising czech brothers who are big contenders, not least good friends.’ Should be Matyas and Jiri Belohradsky. After a week's vacation he’s now in Italy.

Sondre practicing his old/new "Bring him home".

and spins!

Other than this he focuses on his new short program: "You are the Reason" by Calum Scott; Choreo. by Mark Pillay... and 3-axel!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Assignments for JGP Bratislava are out!!
There are lots of Euro jr men competing, but this competition will be our first look at Daniel Grassl, who will presumably be packing quads galore. I am also happy to see Mikalai from Belarus :) Most of the other jrs I'll be looking forward to aren't assigned to this event, but they are on the sub lists so hope to see them soon. But there can always be surprises ;)
Does anyone know about the 2 unknowns from UKR?

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think in the foreseeable future the hottest contenders are Kolyada, Aliev, Erokhov, Bychenko and maybe Vasiljevs and Rizzo. Tbh, skaters from outside Europe are currently one or two steps ahead (maybe apart from Kolyada and Aliev), so everyone who works hard and fancies his chances could become the dark horse. I'm hoping for Moris to get more consistent and in my total dreams it would be Voronov, but hey... on the other hand, not to have a clear favourite will make it all the more exciting. :popcorn:

russell30

Final Flight
Stephane Walker is listed on Ice Partner Search for dance.

Oh No!!!! I just came accross this, I loved stephane's style of skating he is going to be missed and if it is Giada Russo, a double blow they both had originality!!!

European's in 2019 - i just hope Javi and Caro will be there!!

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Has anyone heard anymore news about Walker's switch to ice dance? He announced it months ago but he's still in the Swiss National team as a singles skater :scratch:

I don't quite understand this...he's already 27. He has no real singles competition in Switzerland, for now. The odds are really against him to be successful as an ice dancer - even to find a decent partner. Who wants to take a risk with a 27-year-old newbie? Someone without any other prospects, perhaps, which doesn't bode well. People even said it was too late for Adian to switch, and he was only 19. (Still hoping he'll try again, though.)

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I don't quite understand this...he's already 27. He has no real singles competition in Switzerland, for now. The odds are really against him to be successful as an ice dancer - even to find a decent partner. Who wants to take a risk with a 27-year-old newbie? Someone without any other prospects, perhaps, which doesn't bode well. People even said it was too late for Adian to switch, and he was only 19. (Still hoping he'll try again, though.)

So after some rifling through his instagram, he's been doing shows with a Swiss lady called Giulia Isceri (more info), which leads me to believe she is his new partner. She is 22, skated singles until 2015. And most of his recent posts have been tagged icedance, so even though he's still listed on the national team as a singles skater, his mind appears to be set on switching.

I'm not really sure why he chose to switch; perhaps he felt that he couldn't progress any further in singles. On IPS his goals are
-becoming (with my future partner) a high level dance couple
-achieving better results than what I could do as a single skater (for example a top 12 at Europeans; a top 18 at worlds)
-ultimate goal : competing at Olympics

halulupu

Final Flight

most talented young european skater ATM. youngest ever who landed 4lz in competition. Loop seems to be his favourite jump. 4lz is definetly stable, 4loop looks pretty solid in training. very flexible with interesting/different spin positions. he is learning quick e.g. with papa mishin. PCS wise and exit of jumps still rough

EX:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEUTPKptaFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLQ2iWiw5No

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Daniel Grassl ITA
SP: "Rain, In Your Black Eyes" by Ezio Bosso; choreo by Benoit Richaud
FS: Dance Pieces by Philipp Glass; choreo by Benoit Richaud

Just updated his ISU bio

Daniel will be skating in the fourth and final group at JGP Bratislava, in about three hours :) Good luck!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I love this thread which is new aside from discussions on skaters from big federations. Do we have something like "2018-19 State of European Ladies"? I would love to see it if we already have it.

Anyway, good to hear that Grassl (I guess he is still in juniors) is doing great with his quads. :)

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I love this thread which is new aside from discussions on skaters from big federations. Do we have something like "2018-19 State of European Ladies"? I would love to see it if we already have it.

Anyway, good to hear that Grassl (I guess he is still in juniors) is doing great with his quads. :)

I was kind of wondering if it would be possible to make this a European Skaters thread, instead of just European men... it would be nice to discuss both of them. I don't think there's enough interest to sustain 2 threads, but there's quite a few interesting European ladies.

Grassl is still in juniors for the time being, but he's a talent, and he is old enough for seniors, so if he can deliver on his early promise then I think he can make a very nice debut at Europeans next year with Matteo :)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I was kind of wondering if it would be possible to make this a European Skaters thread, instead of just European men... it would be nice to discuss both of them. I don't think there's enough interest to sustain 2 threads, but there's quite a few interesting European ladies.

:thumbsup:

Indeed, I was thinking more generally a while ago about the state of non-Russian competitors at Euros, since it seems like most of the true non-Russian podium heavies are either retiring or on the verge of doing so (Javi, Anna and Luca, Carolina, possibly Aliona and Bruno). Gabby and Guillaume will of course reign supreme over ice dance for many years to come.

Yes, non-Russian Europe really need new stars. Would be fun to use a thread like this to see if we can find them. And also a place to talk about nice skaters that aren't among the best.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I would prefer to see the ladies get their own thread. The men are ignored enough already - they don't even exist in the eyes of some people on here...so I am sure talking about the ladies would completely drown out what little discussion there is of the men.