2018-19 State of European Men's skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018-19 State of European Men's skating

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I would prefer a different thread for each European category if possible. The discussion about the female skaters takes over each time in such kind of thread and i am more interested in discussion about men and pairs. :thank:

To come back on the European men, at this moment we need badly a new generation. Any wonder-baby in French skating rings? France skaters used to have such distinctive personalities on ice.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I would prefer a different thread for each European category if possible. The discussion about the female skaters takes over each time in such kind of thread and i am more interested in discussion about men and pairs. :thank:

To come back on the European men, at this moment we need badly a new generation. Any wonder-baby in French skating rings? France skaters used to have such distinctive personalities on ice.

Ok :)
Luc Economides is a pretty good French junior, he was close to medaling on the JGP last season. But I'm more interested in what's happened to Kevin Aymoz - I remember he was screwed out of going to Euros because he didn't have a reliable quad and Ponsart did, and I think he posted some videos of him landing quads in practice late last season. But he hasn't been given the host pick for IDF :scratch2: The rest of the French men aren't at his/Ponsart's/Besseghier's level so I don't understand why they haven't given it to him already. Will he be at French Masters? Does anyone know?

LRK

Record Breaker

I think that pairs would be best served by a general thread for all pairs; we had one a season or two back and it was very enjoyable. I'd start one, but… well.. let's face it, it would be rather pathetic. The first post would be something along the lines of… "So... let's discuss pairs!";)

LRK

Record Breaker
Luc Economides is a pretty good French junior, he was close to medaling on the JGP last season. But I'm more interested in what's happened to Kevin Aymoz - I remember he was screwed out of going to Euros because he didn't have a reliable quad and Ponsart did, and I think he posted some videos of him landing quads in practice late last season. But he hasn't been given the host pick for IDF :scratch2: The rest of the French men aren't at his/Ponsart's/Besseghier's level so I don't understand why they haven't given it to him already. Will he be at French Masters? Does anyone know?

When is French Masters? I confess that, since Brian retired I haven't been paying much attention to such things. However, I find Kevin immensely enjoyable to watch, and hope he has a successful season. Last I saw him (at last season's GP), I felt his jumping in general felt… unstable. Has he become more solid?

Andrea82

Medalist

yes, at the moment he's listed among the entries of MdF. The entry list is:

AYMOZ Kévin
BESSEGHIER Chafik
ECONOMIDES Luc
LEWTON-BRAIN Davide
PONSART Romain
ROLS Joshua
TESSON Adrien
WARREN Philip

Economides, Tesson and Warren are also assigned to Lombardia Trophy.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Swedish National Team 2018-19.

Majorov of course in the top team. Kudos to him for continuing after being screwed of a second olympic experience though earning it. I'm impressed that he regrouped and trained for worlds where he was among the 12 best, earning two Grand Prix spots.

Junior boys:
Jontahan Egyptson, Trelleborgs KK
Gabriel Folkesson, Trelleborgs KK
Casper Johansson, Tibro KK
Nikolaj Majorov, Luleå KK
Andreas Nordebäck, Skate & Dance Academy
Mikael Nordebäck, Skate & Dance Academy
Oliver Praetorius, Lerums KK
Daniel Seidel, Älta IF Konståkning

LOL, twice as many boys as junior girls on the team. Who would have thought? :cool: GO guys and fight for the second European Championships spot. Jonathan, Casper, Andreas and Daniel are too young. Gabriel, Nikolaj, Mikael and Oliver already have or must get minimum technical score at a senior competion.

Spinning

On the Ice
Anybody else notice the significant rise of the strong skaters coming out of Italy in Junior this year? I guess those investment on summer camps running by famous Russian coaching teams finally paid off. Even without Kostner, they are in good hands apparently. :bow:

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
There have been some updates on Javi over the last couple of days.

- he is keeping his Man of La Mancha FS from last season.
- there were rumours that his new SP would be Prometo, adapted into an SP, but this has turned out to be incorrect. He will be going to Toronto after Japan Open to get a new SP choreographed.
- Japan Open is the only fixed competition for him right now, and whether he will go to Europeans or not depends on how well prepared he feels ie. if he does not feel ready to challenge for the title/podium again, he may not go.
http://www.marca.com/deportes-invierno/2018/09/04/5b8ec99a468aeb714d8b4629.html

sweetice

Praise the Ice God
Final Flight
Anybody else notice the significant rise of the strong skaters coming out of Italy in Junior this year? I guess those investment on summer camps running by famous Russian coaching teams finally paid off. Even without Kostner, they are in good hands apparently. :bow:
Yes. Leaving Caro aside, right now the italian team is more competitive between the junior men (and Rizzo), than the ladies.

Some years ago that seemed almost impossible to happen.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
After JGP Vancouver was ACI and Ondrej Nepela so this thread got a bit lost, but I want to congratulate France's rising stars in men: Adam Siao Him Fa and Kevin Aymoz! They have both put out great performances. Fa really was a surprise, his form was nothing like that at JWC. Aymoz is now listed for IDF, too. I recall last year there he made a splash with this innovative program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasPdbE4IjY and finished 10th. Granted, he was skating in a stacked field there, and IDF this year is also pretty stacked, but I hope he can improve on that result and make it to Euros this season. :) So now France has two good senior men in Aymoz and Ponsart, and two promising juniors in Fa and Economides.

Weathergal

Medalist
After JGP Vancouver was ACI and Ondrej Nepela so this thread got a bit lost, but I want to congratulate France's rising stars in men: Adam Siao Him Fa and Kevin Aymoz! They have both put out great performances. Fa really was a surprise, his form was nothing like that at JWC. Aymoz is now listed for IDF, too. I recall last year there he made a splash with this innovative program https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasPdbE4IjY and finished 10th. Granted, he was skating in a stacked field there, and IDF this year is also pretty stacked, but I hope he can improve on that result and make it to Euros this season. :) So now France has two good senior men in Aymoz and Ponsart, and two promising juniors in Fa and Economides.

I liked Kevin's programs and performances last year. I have to catch up on my Challengers viewing so I can see him.this season!

Unrelated question but about European men: Has Jorick Hendrickx retired? Injured? He withdrew from his GP events, but I haven't heard anything. I know he helped his and Loena's coach with a clinic in Obertsdorf.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Unrelated question but about European men: Has Jorick Hendrickx retired? Injured? He withdrew from his GP events, but I haven't heard anything. I know he helped his and Loena's coach with a clinic in Obertsdorf.

Jorik hasn't posted any clips of his skating on instagram recently but he hasn't mentioned retirement either. I hope he doesn't retire just yet. Maybe he just needs to rest after the Olympic season.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Yes, Sondre's blogs are always interesting/fun to read/listen to. Good to see he now posts in English :thumbsup:

And a lot of good luck to him in Finland! I so hope he will get the minimum tech score for worlds this season. The 3axel is crucial I guess.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Alexei Bychenko saw Daniel Samohin's recent performances and said "hold my beer..."

Mark Gorodnitsky may have a good shot at going to Euros if they continue like this.

:palmf: