2018-19 State of European Men's skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018-19 State of European Men's skating

Weathergal

Medalist
Jorik hasn't posted any clips of his skating on instagram recently but he hasn't mentioned retirement either. I hope he doesn't retire just yet. Maybe he just needs to rest after the Olympic season.

Yeah, his posts seem to show him having a lot of fun and traveling with his boyfriend so I am wondering if maybe he is just taking a break. Who could blame him after the exhaustion of training, going to college, and often struggling to get funding for his and Loena's training.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
Last weekend was a very good showing for the European men :) Congratulations to Michal Brezina on his silver medal! I had doubts when he said he intended to continue after Worlds but I am very glad to be wrong. And congratulations to Matteo for finishing in the top 5! Just missed medaling by a hair, but he should be very proud of his performances and of his progress with the 4T. Still <, but he's getting there. I was hoping for Moris to do better after winning bronze at Finlandia, but it was not to be. And I believe Bychenko has had some health issues, so his low finish was not unexpected. Hope for a swift recovery.

Weathergal

Medalist
Last weekend was a very good showing for the European men :) Congratulations to Michal Brezina on his silver medal! I had doubts when he said he intended to continue after Worlds but I am very glad to be wrong. And congratulations to Matteo for finishing in the top 5! Just missed medaling by a hair, but he should be very proud of his performances and of his progress with the 4T. Still <, but he's getting there. I was hoping for Moris to do better after winning bronze at Finlandia, but it was not to be. And I believe Bychenko has had some health issues, so his low finish was not unexpected. Hope for a swift recovery.

From what I understand, Bychenko had some sort of foot or ankle injury and compensating for that led to his current hip injury. Love his spirit and demeanor - still smiling even after not having the skates he wanted. I hope he can get healthy soon! I certainly wouldn't count him out for future successes this season if he does.

It's great to see him and Brezina back after they initially said they weren't continuing and loved that Brezina was able to medal at SA!

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Daniel Grassl won a Senior competition in Croatia (Golden Bear) with 250 points. He jumped 4Lz (both in SP and FP) and 4Lo (in FP) :bow: His countrymen Frangipani won Junior competiton with almost 200 points (and some 3As).

DenissVFan

Medalist
Daniel Grassl won a Senior competition in Croatia (Golden Bear) with 250 points. He jumped 4Lz (both in SP and FP) and 4Lo (in FP) :bow: His countrymen Frangipani won Junior competiton with almost 200 points (and some 3As).

Great news! I hope that Italy can get two spots for the 2020 Worlds.

Nirti

Medalist
With Maurizio Zandron switching to Austria and Ivan Righini doing shows (but I've not seen any retirement announcement yet), Matteo Rizzo and Daniel Grassl already secured their 2 spots at Europeans. For Worlds, there's more suspense!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

...and shout out to Andreas Nordebäck(much lower points but also much younger) in second place :thumbsup:

oh, and just saw Casper Johansson won advanced novice boys.

Way to go young Swedish guys!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

go daniel!!!!:hap10:

[/B]

...and shout out to Andreas Nordebäck(much lower points but also much younger) in second place :thumbsup:

oh, and just saw Casper Johansson won advanced novice boys.

Way to go young Swedish guys!

my baby boy!!!:hap10:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yeah, his posts seem to show him having a lot of fun and traveling with his boyfriend so I am wondering if maybe he is just taking a break. Who could blame him after the exhaustion of training, going to college, and often struggling to get funding for his and Loena's training.
In an article talking about Loena's SA debut:
Jorik was initially scheduled to skate alongside his sister at the Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett, Wash., but opted to withdraw and spend the start of the season working with other athletes, including Loena.

“He is working with me sometimes. I really can learn a lot from him because he has the knowledge and experience. I think he can teach me a lot.”

OK, I'm going to make a bold prediction regarding Europeans... Brezina4Gold? :biggrin:
I wouldn't bet against him right now, though Javier is such a wildcard since we don't know what he'll be like when he gets to seriously training again.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
with the russian men struggling anything can happen this year, matteo could even make the top 3

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
with the russian men struggling anything can happen this year, matteo could even make the top 3

I don't see any sign that they are struggling more than any other season. And they are all completely different- someone might have a bad first outing, but it certainly doesn't mean they aren't going to improve later in the season.

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker

The Russian men are always up and down, but with 3 spots at Euros, it's more likely than not that at least one of them will have a good day :) In the case of Kolyada and Aliev, they are strong enough in PCS, spins and steps that even if the jumps are MIA they will probably place well. Top 5 is definitely achievable for Matteo, though, especially if he gets the 4T fully rotated :cheer2:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
of course they can and will improve, but they can also easily bomb so a clean rizzo with a fully rotated quad could sneak in (i'm probably living in the realm of fantasy :laugh:)