2018-19 State of European Men's skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2018-19 State of European Men's skating

Andrea82

Medalist
So there will be no 'brothers in arms' at Europeans. Sad for Nikolaj not getting the qualyfication techs. Gabriel being missed since junior grand prix; injury, focusing on school or...? Would have liked to see a fight for the second spot at Swedish nationals. Only Alexander and Illya are qualified. Hope they skate well at nationals preparing for the championships!

Nikolaj Majorov got the minimum TES for Europeans at Volvo Cup. Is Swedish Fed not counting Volvo Cup in their internal qualification rules? But if they are counting Nordics and Warsaw Cup (2018 edition) for Solomin, it would not be fair not to count also Volvo as they are at the same level for ISU (International events).

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Nikolaj Majorov got the minimum TES for Europeans at Volvo Cup. Is Swedish Fed not counting Volvo Cup in their internal qualification rules? But if they are counting Nordics and Warsaw Cup (2018 edition) for Solomin, it would not be fair not to count also Volvo as they are at the same level for ISU (International events).

Great! I didn't know. Of course it counts. Nothing to do with the Swedish federation. Just me not realising he earned it. Where can you see the skaters' qualifications scores?

Andrea82

Medalist
Great! I didn't know. Of course it counts. Nothing to do with the Swedish federation. Just me not realising he earned it. Where can you see the skaters' qualifications scores?

The highest TES per skater (2017/18 and 2018/19) are here:
http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/tes/stsmjustsensep.htm

The minimum scores for Europeans are 28 points for SP (in this season or previous season) and 46 points for FS if achieved in 2018/19 or 48 points if achieved in 2017/18.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Silverfox Majorov got his best score ever at Swedish nationals, 253.20. Way to go :thumbsup:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Is Daniel now in the Euro-World team?

Even if he is only 16 i'd personally send him at least to Europeans already. He has everything to even challenge the podium.

deneb

On the Ice
Is Daniel now in the Euro-World team?

Even if he is only 16 i'd personally send him at least to Europeans already. He has everything to even challenge the podium.

Italy has 2 spots for euros so it's been known for months that Grassl-Rizzo are in the euros team.
For worlds, it depends on the results of the second part of the season.
Daniel (with Frangipani) is, of course, in the junior worlds team.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
grassl - rizzo it's a lock for euros. at worlds we just have 1 spot and it'll be rizzo's, the boy is a safer bet he is more expirienced and got a gp bronze.

deneb

On the Ice
at worlds we just have 1 spot and it'll be rizzo's
No, the choice will be made according to results.
Sum of scores of the Italian championships, best score (in international competitions) before Nationals, best score after Nationals and another score (before or after Nats).
Currently Daniel is leading because he has best scores in both Nats and international competition before Nats.

Andrea82

Medalist
No, the choice will be made according to results.
Sum of scores of the Italian championships, best score (in international competitions) before Nationals, best score after Nationals and another score (before or after Nats).
Currently Daniel is leading because he has best scores in both Nats and international competition before Nats.

Indeed, that is what the internal rules say. There is also the provision that the technical committee can select another skater if the difference between them in the internal ranking is less than 30 points. I wonder what the technical committee will do if Rizzo scores considerably better in Minsk but Grassl stays ahead in the ranking.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i didn't know! thank you both! i'd still put my money on rizzo anyway, daniel is still 16 and the fed might want to keep him in juniors

Country
Norway
Sondre Oddvoll Bøe was competing in the Norwegian championship this weekend and earned a score for the SP with 67.98, which is a new PB, as the last one from Volvo Cup was 67.82. He also managed to have a great FS, which he has had some struggles with so far this season. The score was 125.87, and the TES score was 61.87, and as far as I can see, he has 2 element which got negative GOE, one of them was a under-rotated jump. He is really really close reaching the TES-minimum-score for worlds, and I really hope he will achieve it this year and before worlds.

The total score was also 193.85, which also is a new PB, the old one (193.57) was from Cup of Tyrol in the end of last season. Although this time he got a lot better TES then in Cup of Tyrol, where he instead got very high PCS in the FS, (71.64), with 64 now. It seems the judges has been pretty fair with the scores in this national, and havn´t been overscoring the skaters. As far as I can tell from the Instagram-posts, Sondre had two programs almost free from mistakes and he is pretty pleased with the competitions.

Btw, he won of course, but he also was the only one competing....Hard not to :laugh: But it´s sad, he was actually the only one at all, no junior men, novice etc. :(

I´m really looking forward to see him in the Euros. It´s going to be a tough one for sure, it will be hard to qualify for the FS, but if Sondre continues his god SP i´m sure he will qualify. The 3 last competitions he had scores of 67.98, 65.79 and 67.82 in the SP. I´m guessing the qualifying score will be higher this year than last year, I guess it will be somewhere between 60-65, depending on how many meltdowns there will be :laugh:

DenissVFan

Medalist
Congrats to Sondre, I hope he can get that FS TES for Worlds.

It's sad about the lack of other competitors. One would think Norway would be an ideal country for figure skating.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
When will the list of participants be made public?

I know almost nothing of male figure skating from my country, The Netherlands, which is quite dominant in speed skating and short track, but has no presence at all in both ice hockey and figure skating.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
For Europeans? Right here:

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat03109025.htm

Netherlands has an entry :)

Thanks, only one entry. Entries are allotted, right? Many wealthy western European nations only one or two contestants. Probably due to lack of facilities and/or finances. No facilities, no finances = no results = no facilities and finances allocated by NOC, etc etc.

Don't even know we have a dedicated skating rink here in The Netherlands, or wether the skaters male and female, young and old have to share the off hours (when there is no short track (ice hockey?) being trained?). Dedicated facililities need professional staff, security, cleaning, catering, etc. making them expensive to rent by the hour since there never can be more than 8-12 skaters working at the same time.

Most of our covered speed skating ovals have a rectangular ice surface in the center, but that isn't nearly large enough for a FS competition rink, only for training elements and passes and children to learn how to skate.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Your country and my country (Poland), as well as many other countries, have only one spot for Euros as to get two or three spots (you can't get more than that) for next year you need to get good enough placement(s) by your skater(s)

Country
Norway
Congrats to Sondre, I hope he can get that FS TES for Worlds.

It's sad about the lack of other competitors. One would think Norway would be an ideal country for figure skating.

Figure skating is actually hardly a sport people follow or know a lot about in Norway, i´m the only one I know in real life which actually has a real interest in the sport. Friends of mine think I´m really weird watching it actually, others say they like to watch if it´s on television, but people usually don´t turn on the television for the sport.

I will guess about 98% of the inhabitant in Norway doesn´t even know that he have a top senior competing in big competitions for men, or what his name is. Some know about the Gjersem-twins because it was a big deal when Anne Line was the first to compete in OG since Sonja Henie. I also think men here don´t think the sport is cool, I even imagine people would describe it as gay-sport... Sondre has said that it wasn´t easy to grow up and do something different, he hasn´t really said he has been bullied, but I can easy imagine small children would comment in such matters. I have a feeling it is more accepted in other countries and that it has more status. Also there is also the lack with sponsor, and the lack of ice halls. According to Camilla Gjersem ice halls are closed during summer which means they have to go to others countries every summer and pay a lot of money to do so. They have to pay a lot of money from their own pocket, so it´s also very expensive to do figure skating in Norway.

But the positive thing is, there is a lot of ladies doing figure skating at least know. Hope some of them will get to the level that they can compete in euros and stuff.

Also people instead do wintersports like cross country-ski or biathlon. Those sports are really big in Norway, and almost everybody watch them.

Although, I wonder the reason why Sweden has a lot more male skaters. The Country isn´t that much different from Norway. But the difference in figure skating is huge.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
How is ice hockey perceived in Norway? Sweden is very strong in ice hockey I know.

Perhaps it has all to do with figure skating not being masculine enough to attract a large contingent of young boys wanting to learn it. There is a certain prejudice agains anything which involves 'dancing' in male sports, as opposed to 'fighting'.

No teenage boy wants to be called certain terms in front of his friends, classmates, family.